PDA

View Full Version : 1st Salt & Pepper Mill Set

Kathy Marshall
10-03-2011, 12:23 AM
At our last club meeting, one of the members did a demonstration on pepper mills and then it was announced that pepper mills would be the President's Challenge for October. So I stopped off at Rocklers on the way home and picked up a pepper mill kit.
I had some thick walnut slabs that I picked up last year from Woodworkers Source that I thought would work well for this.
I had ordered some forstner bits from Craft Supplies (along with some different styles of pepper mill kits) and the package arrived Saturday, so I cut up the walnut and got started.
Just did a basic shape as I was more concerned with getting the technical aspects (measurements and all the different drilling) correct. Thank goodness I had just seen the demo, the instructions included with the Rocklers kit left a lot to be desired. Basically it was a diagram with some measurements, not a single word printed on the sheet, by comparison, the Craft Supplies kits have very detailed instructions.
Everything went smoothly and went together well with the exception of the shaker top for the salt shaker, the instruction called for drilling a 3/4" hole but that was too big so I had to use a little CA. A 5/8" hole probaby would have been about right for a press in fit.
8" x 2" finished with DO, friction polish and Ren wax.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Michelle Rich
10-03-2011, 7:22 AM
for a first try, I think you did well. They would look nice on anyone's table. they also look hand friendly

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2011, 10:26 AM
For your first those look really well done Kathy.