PDA

View Full Version : The Foot...A few of My Favorites...

Wally Dickerman
10-02-2011, 10:20 PM
The foot, or sometimes no foot, is a very important part of any vessel. It's often just an unattractive add-on. They can come in many forms and shapes and can add a lot of appeal to a vessel. The following are some of the feet (foots?) that I use or have used. Others that I use are beaded, single or more, a contrasting wood, often the same as the rim, and more...

I turned and erased these this afternoon on 2 different blanks. One is Box elder, the other maple burl. The incandescent task light on my lathe changed the color to orange from a very nice white. One has a noticeable crack which will disappear when I cut a tenon to turn the blank.

The first is a round bottom with a little Decoration. The small dimple in the middle allows a small vessel to stand straight. Lots of folks don't realize that the SW Indian pottery comes with a round bottom,

The next one is a plain reverse curve foot. I think that a curve into the foot is more attractive than one that just looks added on.

Next is what I call a classic foot, with a fillet to set it off. This one has a simple design cut into the bottom. I think a design on the bottom adds to the appeal of a piece. It can be simple or involved. This one takes just a couple of minutes to do.

The next 2 pics are of a dovetail foot. This works very well on some forms. It works well on ogee bowls. It allows that nice curve in the body of the bowl to continue just a little further. They can be made a little higher and feature a small bead between the foot and body of the piece. A nice touch.

It is the many little things such as an attractive foot that can make the difference between a nice piece and an outstanding piece.

Someday, when I'm feeling bored I'll do a post such as this on rims. Rims can be a main feature on a piece and add a lot to it's appearance. There are a lot more possiblities with rims so it'll take a long post...or maybe a couple....I'd like to hear your comments on these...

David E Keller
10-02-2011, 10:39 PM
What a cool post, Wally! I've had my struggle with feet(foots) and finding ways to incorporate them in ways that I find pleasing. I find myself drawn to the first two perhaps because they are more subtle.

I hope you're bored soon, as I'm looking forward to the 'rims' version of this thread!

charlie knighton
10-02-2011, 10:43 PM
thanks Wally, really nice feet

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for sharing Wally.

Thom Sturgill
10-03-2011, 12:32 AM
thanks for sharing, Wally. I tend toward a bead if I have a definite foot. Generally I have a recessed area with a few rings cut into the bottom, unless I feel the form needs some lift.

I am looking forward to you rim treatment and seeing what that burl finished up as!

John Keeton
10-03-2011, 7:19 AM
Thanks, Wally! Generally, I prefer a foot on a bowl, but largely I think that is because I lean toward the ogee form and IMO, it deserves a foot. Without one, it appears very flat and without character. Of those you show, I really like the cove with the fillet - really adds dimension and texture.

As opposed to your tastes, I do not care for a "return" curve in a foot. But, again, most of the bowls I do (few, even at that!) are ogee, and I feel that form needs a definitive termination of the ogee.

I look forward to the study on rims!

Bill Bolen
10-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Enjoyed this post very much and thanks for sharing your thoughts and styles. As John said I too look forward to the study one rims.

Russell Neyman
10-03-2011, 2:56 PM
Well said, Wally! And you are absolutely correct. I think what often happens, though, is we do the foot last after we've perfected the other 95% of the piece, and we're nervous about either clamping it too hard or getting a last minute catch, so we take the coward's way out. The next vessel I turn (an urn, probably) I promise to do a better job with my bottom, and I'll think of you.

Thanks for making us think! Good stuff.

Steve Campbell
10-03-2011, 7:46 PM
Thanks Wally. You have given me some new ideas. Up till now I have been making most of my bowels with just a slight hollow bottom. You have given me confidence to try something new. Can't wait to see the rims.

Thanks again. Steve

Prashun Patel
10-04-2011, 1:29 PM
First, thanks. I really value this insight. Feet are something I've struggled with. I have a tough time getting the proportion right, both diameter and height. Are there rules of thumb about this?

Wally, do you ever do carved feet (the kind where you turn a recessed foot and then grind/carve away thirds of the rim until 'nubby feet' remain)? If yes, I'd like to hear about yr process.

I'm speaking out of class here, but the 2nd "reverse curve" foot always feels unresolved to me.

Waiting with 'bated breath for your rim post...

Rich Aldrich
10-04-2011, 8:55 PM
Wally, I like the post. I have only made one bowl with a foot, so this is great food for thought. I look forward to your post about rims. This is another area I need more variation.

Rick Markham
10-05-2011, 6:50 AM
Wally awesome post! Timely too, I just finished the foot on 3 of my hollowforms tonight. It's another aspect of this art, that I get to explore more thouroughly now.