PDA

View Full Version : Joined the Big BS'r club today + a bonus gloat

Matt Meiser
10-02-2011, 9:25 PM
I hinted as this yesterday when I put my 14" BS up for sale. Yesterday I got up and checked my mail and noticed an message from a friend that he was going to be selling some equipment and asking if I'd be interested in a pre-sale at some really great prices before he made it public. One thing I was really interested in was his Grizzly G0513X bandsaw. The price he was offering it at was low enough that it only took about 30 seconds of discussion with LOML to decide that I should get it.

Another mutual friend who was copied on the same email happened to call me a short time later. He has been borrowing my brush hog and wanted to know if he could bring it back this morning. I found out that he was buying another machine from the list so we quickly switched plans around and made arrangements to pick the machines up this morning.

I came home with a lightly used G0513X and 9 blades--a Resaw King carbide and the rest are Timberwolf blades ranging from 1/4" to 1". The other friend also had a spare Minimax mobility kit which he gave to me which I'll be able to use with just minor modifications (and some Grizzly Green paint of course.)

As we were on the way back to my house with the BS and brush hog, I got a call from LOML. Her brother had called and was wondering if I wanted his tractor since he's clearing out his bachelor pad after getting married and moving into his wife's house. He doesn't need the tractor, doesn't have a way to transport it, and it hasn't run in a year or two, but if I want it for $250 its mine. I didn't know what came with it but figured I could easily get that back out of it if I decided down the road I was in over my head. So we dropped of the stuff that was in the trailer and headed over to pick up this.

Its an old Farmall Cub (year TBD--need to check from the serial number) which will make a great little toy since it doesn't take up too much room and parts are plentiful. It needs a lot of appearance work, at least a little mechanical work, and definitely some major rewiring (possibly the reason it wouldn't run at the time.) As can be seen, someone converted it to a 12V electrical system and really butchered the hood. It came with a Woods mower deck and a front blade. Since my intent is to restore it "someday" and have it as a toy, those aren't really useful so I should be able to sell them and recoup some of today's investments. LOML had never seen it before--her first remark--"That's a really cool tractor!" Tradition in our rural school district is that the seniors drive their tractors to school on the last day so we decided I have about 7-1/2 years to get it ready. In the mean time we can feel we fit in much better with an old tractor in the yard. :)

alex grams
10-02-2011, 9:59 PM
The resaw king blades are magic for the bandsaw. I have several for my 513x2.

richard poitras
10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Congrats on the saw I had a 514 which are very similar to the 513 before I got my Laguna Lt 18. You will really like the saw they work great. I am sure Damon will miss it.
Richard

Mike Henderson
10-02-2011, 11:20 PM
I spent a lot of time on a Farmall Cub. It's a good small tractor. Congratulations on your haul.

Mike

Bruce Page
10-03-2011, 12:22 AM
I'd say you had a pretty good day.
Congrats!

Rod Sheridan
10-03-2011, 8:49 AM
Very nice Matt, congrats..................Regards, Rod.

Jerome Hanby
10-03-2011, 9:10 AM
This reminds me of a joke....

Add in local classifieds. Lonely widower seeks bride. Should be 25-35 years old, pretty, and own a tractor. Please send picture of tractor.

Mike Wilkins
10-03-2011, 9:10 AM
Looks like it may take a while to get you down from Cloud 9. Big resaw machine w/blades and an old tractor. Big congrats. I see lots of these old tractors around eastern NC since this is a big farming territory.
There is a following for these old workhorses so you should not have too much trouble finding parts.

Matt Meiser
10-03-2011, 9:23 AM
Well, I determined that the tractor is a 1953. Yes, parts are plentiful for Cubs and prices aren't too bad. Later this afternoon I'm hoping to get out and pull the mower deck off so I can get that sold. No reason to let it sit around rusting. LOML always decorates outside for fall with some straw bales, pumpkins, mums, etc. She said something about making the tractor part of that this year. I think she's pretty excited about it too.

Also, before work today I went out and switched the BS over to 110 and hooked up the DC. I don't have a 220V outlet near where its going--probably run one at a later date. I'd like an outlet for my welder on the other side of the partition wall so maybe I'll figure out a plan to do both at the same time. I fired it up and cut about a 1/16" slice off a walnut log I had sitting around. Pretty sweet.

Yesterday I picked up a can of Hammertone paint that is a close match for the Grizzly Green so I could repaint the parts of the mobility kit before installing them. Hope to get that done later this week.

Dave Lehnert
10-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Went out BEFORE work and switched to 110. Man, you got it BAD!

Congrats on the new saw. Let us know how you like or any issues. That saw is on my long list.

Dave Mura
10-03-2011, 4:27 PM
Congrats on the saw!!
http://chdsolutions.com/img/11d867796d85db8cad5280ac44cec7c1.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/a57d48399922b03419153a9760c5ce53.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/beda24c1e1b46055dff2c39c98fd6fc1.jpg

richard poitras
10-03-2011, 5:52 PM
Went out BEFORE work and switched to 110. Man, you got it BAD!

Yea if he’s anything like me I wonder how many times he just went out to look at it!:D

Matt Meiser
10-03-2011, 6:27 PM
Since I work from home its not uncommon for me to spend my commute time out in the shop. Same with lunch, if I remember to take one.

ray hampton
10-03-2011, 6:46 PM
Yea if he’s anything like me I wonder how many times he just went out to look at it!:D

ONCE, forgot to go back inside

Art Mulder
10-07-2011, 2:45 PM
Hey Matt, aren't those nice saws? I scored the exact same one this past spring. Heavy beast, you're lucky you didn't have to bring it down to your basement like I did!
Look around the forums and you'll see it's a popular one. I've seen various posts (Here or on Familywoodworking.org) about improving dust collection and other jigs that I may look into sometime.

Matt Meiser
10-07-2011, 3:20 PM
Well, I didn't have to bring it down the basement at my house, but 2 months ago I helped my friend move it into his basement, then back out the day I bought it.

And on the tractor--I got it running earlier this week. I've identified some work it needs but it its still looking to be an incredibly good deal. An my wife has been repeatedly commenting on what a cool tractor it is.

Karl Card
10-08-2011, 6:39 PM
sounds like early Christmas for you... I am glad for anyone to be able to get things they can use at a really great price.

dave toney
10-08-2011, 6:48 PM
You made some good deals.
As a Farmall Cub owner I recommend farmallcub.com, a great place for advice and info.
Dave Toney

Phil Thien
10-08-2011, 8:30 PM
Awesome tractor. Looks identical to one I drove when I was a young teen visiting my friend's uncle's small farm.

And the bandsaw is pretty nifty, too.

Can't wait to see the tractor restoration.

Matt Meiser
10-08-2011, 9:21 PM
Now for the real gloat on the whole deal. I sold the mower that came on the tractor earlier this week and sold my old bandsaw today. Net, last Sunday cost me $50. :D. Well, save for all the tractor parts I've picked up since to tune up and fix a couple critical things before winter storage.

I got the Minimax mobility kit installed and fabricated a front hitch today. I'll post some pictures later.

Dave, I found farmallcub.com right away and have already posted some over there.

Matt Meiser
10-09-2011, 3:45 PM
Here's the Minimax mobility kit installed and painted a reasonable approximation of Grizzly green. On the Minimax, the mover uses the foot brake as a hitch. Since I don't have a brake, I used a scrap of 4x6 angle and fabricated one. For a machine I won't move much, it will work great

Joseph Tarantino
10-09-2011, 5:22 PM
so the mobility kit is the axle that you bolted to the rear of the saw and the "johnson bar" handle that raises and moves the front of the saw? how is it to back the saw into a position between, say, two other pieces of equipment? looks like it would be pretty simple to add something similar to my 18" jet, and finally ditch the crummy htc 1000 base that came with it. or am i missing something?

Mike Cutler
10-09-2011, 6:09 PM
Matt

That's a nice bandsaw for absolute sure, but that tractor is totally cool.:cool:

Nice score all around.
Well Done.

Matt Meiser
10-09-2011, 9:12 PM
Joe, thats exactly what it is. The piece of angle on the front of the saw is what I added on top of the Minimax parts. And the green paint of course. Moving it isn't bad but no where near as easy as all the machines I have on custom, four-swivel caster bases. I was going to build one for this but was offered the mobility kit pieces free.

Mike Cruz
10-09-2011, 9:31 PM
Sweet, Matt. Both machines are worthy of a YOU SUCK!

Rick Moyer
10-10-2011, 6:06 AM
Hey Matt. Here is a place where you can get lots of info on tractors, if you need some. It's one I go to just to browse around sometimes.
mytractorforum. com Tons of helpful info and pretty good group of folks just like here!

Art Mulder
10-16-2011, 5:37 PM
Here's the Minimax mobility kit installed and painted a reasonable approximation of Grizzly green.

I note only one DC hose... don't you have a DC hookup at the back/bottom of the lower wheel enclosure?

Matt Meiser
10-17-2011, 7:26 PM
There's two that go into a wye. A fancy piece of scrap wire hangs it neatly from the hub for the lower wheel.