PDA

View Full Version : Boring larvae in wood. Should I throw it out?

Jay Bruckner
10-02-2011, 9:20 PM
So I milled up these silver maple boards with my Alaskan mill, and found a bunch of insect holes in them with some living larvae in there. I don't know what kind they are, so I attached a picture. (this one got nicked with the chainsaw, but it's otherwise okay). Is this kind of bug going to go through my stack of lumber so that I should toss the infected boards? Or will they metamorphose into something and leave the wood alone? Will fumigating kill them? Or are they so buried in the wood that the gas can't get to them?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. The wood was harvested just west of Cleveland, Ohio.

In this pic, you see it's body:

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee330/unseenwombat/2011-10-02180543.jpg

And in this one, you can see it's face (?) upside down. Looks like it has two red "angry eyes" and a black beak:

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee330/unseenwombat/2011-10-02180454.jpg

Mike Heidrick
10-03-2011, 12:29 AM
LOL - I wonder if it would have fired a brake on a Sawstop??

Prashun Patel
10-03-2011, 9:09 AM
If the pieces are small enough, you can soak them in ethanol or microwave them. However, I'd still not store these near other wood, where the bugs might migrate.

David Nelson1
10-03-2011, 9:46 AM
LOL - I wonder if it would have fired a brake on a Sawstop??

Stop it! LOL

Jay Bruckner
10-03-2011, 9:51 AM
If the pieces are small enough, you can soak them in ethanol or microwave them. However, I'd still not store these near other wood, where the bugs might migrate.Do you have any idea what kind of bugs they are? Or is your advice just to be better safe than sorry? It probably is a good idea, but my space is limited, and the boards are way too big for soaking or microwaving. I did fumigate the barn, but I worry that it won't actually kill the ones that are buried in the wood.

Thanks

LOL - I wonder if it would have fired a brake on a Sawstop??Yes, I bet it would. it looked very moist where it had been cut, just like a finger.

george wilson
10-03-2011, 10:01 AM
The millwork shop near my shop in Wmsbg used that thick borax solution on green wood. Not cheap,though. Don't let those bugs infest your shop.

Derek Gilmer
10-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Is there a local farmers extension program you can talk to? The ones here in Ark are very helpful in dealing with various bugs in the yard/forest. They might be able to id the critters and give advice on their removal.

Prashun Patel
10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Sorry, Jay, I don't know what type of bug they are. My advice is better safe than sorry. I'm fearful of introducing ants or any kind of wood-eating insect to my lumber, turning blanks, or framing.

Conrad Fiore
10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Jay,
Where are you (the trees) located and what did the entrance holes look like in the bark?

Trent Shirley
10-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Anyone ever try making a large vacuum bag to kill of critters?
Seal up some heavy duty vinyl around the boards and suck out as much oxygen as you can then let it sit until they suffocate? Not sure how much oxy these guys would use but if you significantly lowered air pressure it might kill em.

Jay Bruckner
10-03-2011, 1:38 PM
Jay,
Where are you (the trees) located and what did the entrance holes look like in the bark?We're near Cleveland, OH, and I didn't notice the entrance holes. I'll try to look on the board edges when I get home and see if I can find one. The bug holes are all about 1/8" diameter or maybe very slightly bigger.

Dave Gaul
10-03-2011, 1:40 PM
Anyone ever try making a large vacuum bag to kill of critters?
Seal up some heavy duty vinyl around the boards and suck out as much oxygen as you can then let it sit until they suffocate? Not sure how much oxy these guys would use but if you significantly lowered air pressure it might kill em.

I would think a better way would be to wrap the boards in clear plastic, and then set them in the sun for a while. The heat should build up enough to kill them. ALthough this time of year, it may be hard to do unless you get a nice sunny day by luck!