PDA

View Full Version : Aloha from Hawaii -new guy-

James Mahoney
02-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Just like to say Hello to all you turnners. I'v been turnering for two years , on my spare time. I started on a 9''swing metal lathe,and up graded to a 16'' Reed/Prentice Metal lathe off a ship from Pearl Harbor. Why a metal lathe you may say, Its a long store. Good to connect with U folks Aloha No!! PS this is all new to me , this chat stuff, Seeya! :D

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2005, 8:16 AM
Welcome, James. Lots of good folks hang out here. Lots of good info also.

A little heads up for reference.

All tool gloats and all project gloats require pictures. :)

We can help you get your pics posted as it can be a little tricky here at the "Creek".

Jeff Sudmeier
02-27-2005, 9:32 AM
James welcome to the creek! As Karl said, the pics are missing, but since this is your first post, we will go easy on ya! Welcome, be sure to post some pics of your work :)

Doug Shepard
02-27-2005, 10:56 AM

We can help you get your pics posted as it can be a little tricky here at the "Creek".
I'm so sick of winter. I think I'll let him off the hook on the WW pics if he justs posts some sunny Hawaian pics.;)

James Mahoney
02-28-2005, 1:12 AM

We can help you get your pics posted as it can be a little tricky here at the "Creek". Havn't figured it out yet give me time, which I don't have much of, But enjoy you alls pictures.. Well another scorching blue skyed day at work tomorrow,Im tired of all this heat Karl .

Jim Dunn
02-28-2005, 8:27 AM
I think your tool/turning gloat is a sham. You just wanted to bragg about your location:) The pic police will be on ya if you don't hurry up with some pics of the beachs. Oh, and by the way, you might as well post some pics of your shop too.

Karl Laustrup
02-28-2005, 8:50 AM
"Well another scorching blue skyed day at work tomorrow,Im tired of all this heat Karl ."

James, maybe these will help you COOL OFF! ;) :D :D

These aren't from today, but today is snow flurries, windy, temp is about 28 with a wind chill of about +5.

SO THERE!!!! :p :D

Doug Shepard
02-28-2005, 8:52 AM
"Well another scorching blue skyed day at work ...
Is that Diamond Head or Waikiki??

Ted Shrader
02-28-2005, 9:16 AM
Hi James -

Welcome to the Creek.

Ted

James Mahoney
03-02-2005, 3:21 AM
Let see if I got this picture to go through. If it does this is a Poi Ponder made out of Milo Wood I cut at work one day. The bottom piece is just a holded, made of the same wood. Precaution must be taken when working with this wood,try not to breath in the bust particles. It is said to be poisonous,but the seeds and the leaves are used in other means like medicine. Pio Ponders are userly made out of stone. Anyone heard of turning rock or stone. Alot of woodturner here in hawaii make wooden poi ponders just to visionally enjoy. I tryed making a poi ponder out of stone, a river rock that I went hunting for in a dry stream. Talk about alot of work. Well you know what if this picture does'nt go through just blame Karl, I think he froze my computer with those snow pictures,By the way was that your work shop Karl? :rolleyes: Aloha No

Karl Laustrup
03-02-2005, 5:36 AM
Very nice, James. That is interesting wood. I would guess if your going to pound poi with it, it would be pretty dense wood?

Yes, that pic with the flag, is a pic of my shop/garage. Our vehicles reside in there, so all my tools are mobile. Building is 24' x 30' so I do have some dedicated space. Vehicles are moved out for woodworking, so not much gets done during the winter. I also don't have any heat, except a propane torpedo, which will get the temp to a reasonable point, but it takes a couple of hours to do it. Also, propane has almost doubled in the last year, so I'm a little more cautious of it use.