PDA

View Full Version : Drill bits for hinges

Jerome Hanby
10-02-2011, 8:43 PM
I've gotten tired of inconsistencies when I install hinges and am looking at Vix type bits. I can get a set of three at Woodcraft with 5, 7, and 9 64ths sizes for about $30. I see at Harbor Freight they have a set of 3 Hinge Drill bits with 7, 9, and 11 64ths sizes for about $9. I'm sure that the actual Vix bits are better quality, but I may only install hinges two or three times a year. Anyone ever try those HF bits?

Matt Meiser
10-02-2011, 10:20 PM
I have the Make It Snappy ones which I think is what Woodcraft sells. They work well but make sure to buy spare bits because they are an odd length and they will break if you move the drill to much.

Rich Engelhardt
10-03-2011, 4:10 AM
I've gotten tired of inconsistencies when I install hinges and am looking at Vix type bits
Do yourself a favor and get real Vix bits - not Vix type bits.
If you're patient, you can find real Vix branded bits on sale.

I have some Vix type bits, I wish I'd have sprung for the extra and bought real Vix branded.

I'd imagine the HF bits would be on the same par as the Ryobi I bought. The Ryobi is nothing short of an aggrevation to use. It's constantly getting stuck with the bit in the "out" position. That means, drill one hole, back the bit out, take it apart so the bit is retracted, drill the next hole, take it apart, etc.
Really really really, annoying.

I also bought a set of 3 Rockler Vix type bits.
While they're ok - that's all they are is ok. IIRC, the 3 bit set was on sale for about 20 bucks when I bought it.
Huge improvement over the Ryobi - but - still not silky smooth like the one real Vix brand that I used several years ago.

BTW- self centering bits can be used for a lot more than just hinges.
A piece of pegboard & a Vix bit is a real handy jig for drilling evenly spaced holes.

Jerome Hanby
10-03-2011, 7:54 AM
I saw a 5 piece set of those on the acetools site. Says made in USA. Have to be better than the HF ones, right?

I have the Make It Snappy ones which I think is what Woodcraft sells. They work well but make sure to buy spare bits because they are an odd length and they will break if you move the drill to much.

Jerome Hanby
10-03-2011, 7:56 AM
Now that I read your post seems like I recall similar sentiments in some previous posts. I may buy the HF ones to do what I need done now (and get an idea of what sizes i actually need) while I order the real deal. Thanks for the feedback!

Do yourself a favor and get real Vix bits - not Vix type bits.
If you're patient, you can find real Vix branded bits on sale.

I have some Vix type bits, I wish I'd have sprung for the extra and bought real Vix branded.

I'd imagine the HF bits would be on the same par as the Ryobi I bought. The Ryobi is nothing short of an aggrevation to use. It's constantly getting stuck with the bit in the "out" position. That means, drill one hole, back the bit out, take it apart so the bit is retracted, drill the next hole, take it apart, etc.
Really really really, annoying.

I also bought a set of 3 Rockler Vix type bits.
While they're ok - that's all they are is ok. IIRC, the 3 bit set was on sale for about 20 bucks when I bought it.
Huge improvement over the Ryobi - but - still not silky smooth like the one real Vix brand that I used several years ago.

BTW- self centering bits can be used for a lot more than just hinges.
A piece of pegboard & a Vix bit is a real handy jig for drilling evenly spaced holes.

Rod Sheridan
10-03-2011, 8:41 AM
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=40239&cat=1,180,42240,53317,42265

Jerome, do yourself a favour, buy good bits such as the above. You probably only need one, or two sizes at the most.

There's nothing worse than a hinge with a slightly off center screw in it. Buying a substandard product is poor economics when it affects the appearance of the finished work..............Regards, Rod.

Jerome Hanby
10-03-2011, 8:53 AM
I love Lee Valley, so this works for me! Thanks!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=40239&cat=1,180,42240,53317,42265

Jerome, do yourself a favour, buy good bits such as the above. You probably only need one, or two sizes at the most.

There's nothing worse than a hinge with a slightly off center screw in it. Buying a substandard product is poor economics when it affects the appearance of the finished work..............Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
10-03-2011, 9:05 AM
I've had a set of the Rockler ones for about 6 years. They do the job and I have broken one 5/64" bit but, a standard jobber length bit replaces it. They go on sale frequently (I think I paid $15?) and if you are just a hobbyist, I would think they would do fine. If you use them on nearly every project I would buy better and current full price for Rockler's is a little high.

Jerome Hanby
10-03-2011, 9:13 AM
I saw the ones on the Rockler site. I think the Lee Valley prices are about the same and I'd have to order regardless, closest Rocklers to me are close to nashville and close to Atlanta.

I've had a set of the Rockler ones for about 6 years. They do the job and I have broken one 5/64" bit but, a standard jobber length bit replaces it. They go on sale frequently (I think I paid $15?) and if you are just a hobbyist, I would think they would do fine. If you use them on nearly every project I would buy better and current full price for Rockler's is a little high.

phil harold
10-03-2011, 9:19 AM
I have real vix bits and they constantly get stuck with the bit in the "out" position
unless I spray them with dry lube

Jim Rimmer
10-03-2011, 1:08 PM
+1 on the spare bits. I knocked ny drill over and broke the bit and was stuck waiting for a mail order replacement.

Harvey Melvin Richards
10-03-2011, 1:27 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167676-Self-centering-bits-Rockler-vs-VIX

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167676-Self-centering-bits-Rockler-vs-VIX)

Rich Engelhardt
10-03-2011, 1:49 PM
hehe - yep - the infamous "flying Ryobi" bit..... :D

That little rascal sure did fly!

Brian Ross
10-03-2011, 11:08 PM
I bought a couple of sets that Lee Valley sells and I suspect they are no better than the HF ones. I thought the first set was just bad luck but the second set was no better. They continually clogged in hard woods and as someone else pointed out the drill bit sticks in the extended position.I have some Vix bits and Snappy and I find them excellent. The LV ones are obviously off shore.

Brian

Jerome Stanek
10-04-2011, 7:57 AM
I have a set of dewalt that are about 25 years old have drilled thousands of holes withe them and only broke 2 bits

David Keast
10-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Do any of these makes have a really small version that could be used for 2mm screws ? I make small decorative boxes with offcuts frombigger projects and while I have a perfectly good set of self centering bits for regular hinges, but they are far too big for hinges around 3/4 long with tiny screws.

Alan Schaffter
10-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I've tried a couple of different types, but like Rich says, the "real" VIX bits have been the best!

Dave Lehnert
10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
I have a set of the HF. They work.

Jerome Hanby
10-05-2011, 9:25 AM
Couldn't find a current link to the Dewalts. I did stop into Lowe's and they had Hitachi's, so I bought the size I needed immediately. Think I'll order actual VIX bits to have on hand in the future. Although for $9 I think I'll grab a set of those HF versions if they have them in stock...

Kevin Groenke
10-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Do any of these makes have a really small version that could be used for 2mm screws ? I make small decorative boxes with offcuts frombigger projects and while I have a perfectly good set of self centering bits for regular hinges, but they are far too big for hinges around 3/4 long with tiny screws.

I've never seen really small vix type bits, but I have a couple of different self-centering punches that work well for small countersunk hardware. Mine are like those listed below, but are vintage and seem to be higher quality/precision items.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=PUNCHES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=58-013&SDesc=Self-Centering+Screw+Hole+Punch
(http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=PUNCHES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=58-013&SDesc=Self-Centering+Screw+Hole+Punch)
http://www.generaltools.com/806--JIFFY-CENTERING-PUNCH_p_240.html

http://www.garrettwade.com/self-center-punch-hardware/p/35K08.01/

(http://www.garrettwade.com/self-center-punch-hardware/p/35K08.01/)

Alan Schaffter
10-05-2011, 11:14 PM

Real Vix brand bits come in a few different sizes. The smallest is 5/64 for #2, #3, and #4 screws. Other common sizes include 7/64 for #5 and 6 screws and 9/64 for #8, #9, and #10 screws. They also sell 1/4" and 5mm bits for shelf pins and two larger sizes 11/64 and 13/64 for #12 and #14 screws.

Tom Blank
10-06-2011, 12:01 AM
McFeely's carries the real Vix bits at around $9 to $10/bit for the round shank #4 thru #10 sizes. Hex shank and larger sizes are more. I just got a set of the three smaller sizes; have not used them a lot, but they worked well so far.

Tom