PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry HF dyed

Bill Walsh
10-02-2011, 8:25 PM
After seeing Steve's HF that was dyed last week I wanted to give it another try. I've played around with dye a couple of times and didn't care for the results. This time after reading Steve's tips on how to apply and sand back the dye I got a better idea how it should be done. This piece was turned following David Ellsworth's method of including the pith. The HF is 9" tall including the finial, 7" wide and 3/16" thick. The finial (Maple) has a couple of coats of sanding sealer and one application of Clapham's bowl finish. The HF has 3 or 4 coats of Sutherland Wells, Mille's tung oil then buffed.
The finial is a Cindy Drozda style, I'd like to turn something just a little different then her style but the basic shape of hers is just so pleasing to me!!!!!
Two things I'd like to try and change on my next one would be to make the finial a bit smaller. All of mine seem to grow fatter after there in a vertical view and off the lathe!! Second thing is a smaller base. Two things that I can spot right away but seem to have trouble with.
P.S. This forum is a great source for turners at any level and the "posting side" is lots of fun.
Next time I post photos I'll spin it around for a different view. I'm new at this!!
Thanks

Josh Bowman
10-02-2011, 8:39 PM
Bill, I like the finish, nice form.

David E Keller
10-02-2011, 8:52 PM
Nicely done, Bill! I've not heard of the finish you used on the form, but it looks phenomenal!

Harry Robinette
10-02-2011, 9:09 PM
Bill really nice piece,Like the form and the finish keep em coming.

Donny Lawson
10-02-2011, 9:12 PM
Great job on this one Bill. Nice finish.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2011, 9:30 PM
Great piece. Nice form and finish.

Michelle Rich
10-03-2011, 7:30 AM
super nice vessel..the dye is modest & pleasing. If you want to help that horizontal/later vertical issue.. use a chuck (instead of between centers) &just spin the chuck off and set it on your headstock. back up and look the finial over. Then reinstall. You might have to do it quite a few times, but it sure makes finials a heck of a lot easier.

Allan Ferguson
10-03-2011, 8:44 AM
Very pleasing.

Roger Chandler
10-03-2011, 9:29 AM
I'm liking this one Bill............nice work!

Jim Burr
10-03-2011, 11:13 AM
The dye job isn't noticable Bill...I like the finial and the finish is great!!

Bill Bolen
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
A fine piece Bill. I am usually turned off by dye jobs but this one works well for me. One suggestion on posting.....loose the red background. Way to distracting as it takes away from your fine work.

Bill Walsh
10-03-2011, 7:18 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments and advise I'll apply it to the next one.

Steve Campbell
10-03-2011, 7:59 PM
Great piece. The dye job is hardly noticeable so it must be just right. Like it a lot.

Steve