PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas or Nightmare Before Christmas??

Nate Davey
10-02-2011, 3:38 PM
I made this ornament for our family support group auction this year. I wondering if it's a little too "Tim Burton'esk"?? Additionally, I really like it matte but think I will need to spray lacquer it to make it more appealing to the potential bidders. Thoughts? Anywho, Cherry Burl and Holly, about 6" tall. The Cherry burl was BLO sanded and had two coats of shellac sanded back. I think I went through a forest of Holly before I kept this one together. Comments and criticism appreciated.

Steve Vaughan
10-02-2011, 3:59 PM
I think that's a beautiful ornament, and someone is gonna feel great having it! Being a Christmas ornament, I'm thinking the glossy finish might be a better choice - just thinking that cause most Christmasy stuff is gonna be shiny and all lit up and such. Nonetheless, it's really gorgeous.

Alan Trout
10-02-2011, 5:21 PM
Nate,

Leave it just the way it is. It is perfect. It will go for sure at the auction. It is a wonderful ornament.

Alan

David E Keller
10-02-2011, 7:01 PM
I love it, and it's plenty shiny for my tastes!

Joe Watson
10-02-2011, 7:14 PM
... I wondering if it's a little too "Tim Burton'esk"??... hahaha... this might be true, but its all a matter of taste, i dig it alot. The bottom came out great.

Jeff Nicol
10-02-2011, 7:18 PM
Nate, If you wanted to add a little shine to it you could mask off the ball and spray the finial and top with some lacquer, but I do like the matte finish of the cherry burl and the void is killer! It is great the way it is like Doc Keller says, but another little thing I do once in a while is to get some gold gilt paint and paint say one of the rings around the finial where it attaches to the main body and on the top also in the same place. The gold guilt paint works well and adds some sparkle or Christmas flash.

Keep at it as it is the time of the year for fall craft tours and lots of folks are out looking for that perfect gift!

Nice job,

Jeff

Betty Fox
10-02-2011, 7:44 PM
I've seen this done with the hole in it and a little green Christmas tree inserted in the middle. Chintzy but cool. The auction-goers will love it. Very cool.

Nate Davey
10-02-2011, 8:08 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. I will take the ornament to the FRG folks tomorrow and see what sells best for them. Around here, if it ain't shiny it ain't nice, so I suspect I'll do as Jeff recommends and mask the globe and hit the icicle with gloss acrylic.

Jeff, I was thinking of getting some gold leaf and gilding the inside of the globe, but don't have the first clue how or where to get it. Gilt paint never even crossed my mind, I'm going to store that away for the next attempt.

Josh Bowman
10-02-2011, 8:38 PM
That's going to look great on the Christmas tree.

Curt Fuller
10-02-2011, 8:45 PM
I really like the Tim Burton look. That ornament is beautiful just as it is. If they don't like that one, make another they might like better. But I'd leave that one just as it is.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2011, 9:36 PM
Really a beautiful ornament. I agree with leave it as is.

Michelle Rich
10-03-2011, 7:25 AM
I like it as is.

Betty Fox
10-03-2011, 8:16 AM
Silly question but has anyone tried drilling holes in one of these and inserting pot pourri or jingle bells? I've got one on the lathe and I'm seriously considering both of these options. Anybody?

Jim Burr
10-03-2011, 8:38 AM
That is fantastic Nate!!!! I'm not big on gloss, but a bit more shine could be cool. I sure bid on it!

Tim Rinehart
10-03-2011, 9:22 AM
Very nice work on the ornament hollowing and finials. Excellent spindle work and detail. The finishing part is whole nuther science/art...it'll come with practice/experimentation. For matte appearance, this is quite nice, but to your point on what sells, I keep hearing it's the shiney stuff. I think it depends on the piece. This would actually be cool with a shiney finial and matte finish globe.