PDA

View Full Version : Possible PM 141 bandsaw purchase..........

Jack Gaskins
10-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1970's yellow PM 141. Currenly I have a 2003 model G0555 that I absolutely hate. Never been able to get the darn thing tensioned and tuned properly. Is a used 141 a better saw than the G0555. I could sell the G0555 which would pay for the 141 but then I would have to upgrade/refurbish the 141 a little probably. Only want it for using 1/4" blades on for small work. Thanks,

Jack

David Kumm
10-02-2011, 1:25 PM
Both the older delta and PM are good saws. Not quite a walker turner but a step above what you have. The OWWM.org guys are the ones to ask. They have tons of experience with used small bandsaws. My small saw is a Yates Y20 with a 1/4" blade so I know the appeal of a separate saw. Either the delta,PM, or WT would be a good addition to the MM20. Dave

Jack Gaskins
10-02-2011, 5:06 PM
Both the older delta and PM are good saws. Not quite a walker turner but a step above what you have. The OWWM.org guys are the ones to ask. They have tons of experience with used small bandsaws. My small saw is a Yates Y20 with a 1/4" blade so I know the appeal of a separate saw. Either the delta,PM, or WT would be a good addition to the MM20. Dave

What is a good offer to make on the saw. The seller wants $350 OBO. I was going to offer $250.

Carroll Courtney
10-02-2011, 5:33 PM
Even at 350.00 and used its still a deal compare to what new bandsaws cost and awhole lot better.But it also has to be tuned up just like all others and a good blade is a must.I'm guessing it has the 3/4hp single phase motor,and in good shape,no crack cast iron,so I would offer 250 and go from there.Over the last few yrs I have owned 2-141 and a 143.I sold one of the 141's.Their great bandsaws and will last a life time,and over time will go up in value,since american made has become obsolete.If you do get it there had better be pics of the saw.Good Luck---Carroll

Paul Steiner
10-02-2011, 5:46 PM
I would buy 2 141s, one to use and one for parts. I have used four 141s in my high school classes and they have always given me trouble. There is a model of 141 that has a gear box on the back so you can change the speed I would definitely stay away from those. Parts are hard to find and sometimes it is just easier or cheaper to get new ones made at a machine shop. I have had the bearings go on 3 of the 4 but that is an easy fix. The gearbox imploded on one saw and sheared of the lower wheel arbor. I chucked the gearbox, and was able to the saddle that holds the arbor and bearings. So that saw is a retro fitted standard 141. Tire problems, tracking problems, ineffiecent dust collection, etc.
BUT one saw is from '63, one from '70, and the saws that have given me the most trouble are from the '80s. Also high school shop class is probably one of the most abusive environments out there.
I would rather have a 141 that a comparable saw made abroad. But my number 1 14" bandsaw would be an old delta/rockwell. Simple design, easily upgradable, plenty of aftermarket parts.

Jack Gaskins
10-02-2011, 7:16 PM
The seller took my offer of $250 so I will go over tomorrow to look it over and hopefully bring it home. Its not one of the green ones though. It is one of the Yellow mustard ones. Looks just like the green ones though with the all cast Iron body and wheels. Im guessing those were made in the mid 1980s??

Jack Gaskins
10-03-2011, 3:59 PM
Ok I decided not to get the PM 141. Mainly cause it was just to far to drive to find out something was wrong with it. So, Im going to save up for a Rikon 10-325. Then I will have one large and one small capable set of bandsaws.