PDA

View Full Version : Aztec Calander Ad Infinitum

Steve Clarkson
10-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Does anyone have a "good" vector image of the Aztec calander?

I have the one that has been posted on here many times, however, it is full of "white boxes". I tried to make a rubber stamp of the image but it didn't come out well due to all the white boxes and because the black areas are in CMYK black.

I ungrouped the vector image and it is not as easy as simply deleting the white boxes......it has a black circle inside a white circle inside a black box inside a white box inside a black circle.......I would need to "trim" each element multiple times to remove the white boxes........if that makes sense.

I tried to "simplify" the image, however, my computer apparently doesn't have enough memory to do that. I also tried converting it to a bitmap and re-tracing it, but it came out poorly.

Thanks!

Lee DeRaud
10-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not really sure what you mean by "white boxes": I think I'm using the "canonical" file (the one derived from an Adobe Illustrator original), and it consists of a single group of 5308 curves, none of them filled. Nor do I see the nested circles and boxes you describe. (Just for jollies, I did a 'select all' and 'simplify' on it...it hasn't finished yet, but I doubt it will do a lot beyond removing some overlaid lines.)

In any case, I suspect it would not do well as a rubber stamp, as the feature size is waaaay too small unless you're making a stamp the size of a manhole cover.

Steve Clarkson
10-02-2011, 1:15 PM
Lee,

If you select all and then change the fill to blue, if it still looks correct, only blue, then that is what I need......however, if it looks like a solid blue circle, then that is what I already have.

Lee DeRaud
10-02-2011, 3:15 PM
If you select all and then change the fill to blue, if it still looks correct, only blue, then that is what I need......however, if it looks like a solid blue circle, then that is what I already have.Hmmm...just tried that, and the answer is, "neither of the above": it appears that a lot (most, actually) of the solid areas are split into multiple curves.

I repeat, there are no filled objects in this file...enough detail that it almost looks filled in spots, but no fills. If I had to guess, the original was intended as a marquetry project, but I'm not that much of a masochist. Might make a good starting point for someone with an addiction to SmartFill and better eyes than mine, though.

Rich Harman
10-02-2011, 3:26 PM
I had the same problem. This is the Aztec calendar converted to bitmap, then run through Vector Magic. It is not perfect, but it is close.

Bruce Dorworth
10-02-2011, 4:30 PM
The file looks better than the ones I have.

Thanks,
Bruce

Steve Clarkson
10-02-2011, 5:05 PM
Rich......that's exactly what I wanted.....thank you very much!

Lee DeRaud
10-02-2011, 6:21 PM
This is the Aztec calendar converted to bitmap, then run through Vector Magic. It is not perfect, but it is close.
I opened it: it looks ok, but it's a single curve with 16K nodes. If you do 'break curves apart', it exhibits a lot of the same behavior Steve originally complained about. E.g. selecting the big 'arrowhead' at 3 o'clock and filling it reveals that it includes one of the big center circles.

I went through my file and SmartFill'ed all the "lowest" layer of objects and then deleted the originals, which gave me a set of 2700 or so objects with the property that, if filled (except for the outermost circle), everything still appears and there are no coincident vectors.

Steve Clarkson
10-03-2011, 8:26 AM
Lee, yours is definitely cleaner......thanks!