PDA

View Full Version : Used 12 1/2" Dewalt planer - what to look for

Regis Galbach
10-02-2011, 8:51 AM
I'm going to look at a used 12 1/2" Dewalt planer tomorrow and not sure what to look for. Says it is like new but other than appearence, I really don't know what to look for. I had all but made up my mind to get a new Ridgid when this popped up on CL. This Dewalt($300) is only $100 less than the Ridgid but used? Appreciate any tips on what to look for.

I did decide to get seperate jointewr and planer and this is planer time.

Thanks
Regis

michael case
10-02-2011, 9:37 AM
The only thing I can think of is to try it out. I had the 12.5 and busted a sprocket on it by forcing a tapered board with an overly thick end through it. It of course did not run after this, but looked great from the outside. I had to do a lot of dismantling to find the problem. Obviously you can't rip this machine apart to check it out. So the simple solution is to run it. However, considering the 12.5 is a dated model and goes for $399 brand new is $300 used really a good deal? I'd say $200 would more like it

Bill White
10-02-2011, 5:55 PM
What model? I have the 733, and it has been a beast. Give us some more info so we can help you.
Bill

Regis Galbach
10-02-2011, 8:34 PM
He just emailed me and it's a 733. amazon has 734 for $369

Matt Day
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I had a thread a few months ago about rebuilding my 734. The locking head wore out on mine (which is about 6 years old) and the head slipped when cutting a board causing a change in board thickness. I rebuilt it and it's good to go. That was after quite a bit of very good service, and I expect to get more out of it. If it's "lightly used", go for it!