PDA

View Full Version : What glue do you use for segmenting

Ronald Fox
10-01-2011, 3:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been playing around with segmenting and have been using Titebond II. Seems to work fine for me, but I am wondering if I might do better using the original Titebond instead (or some other wood glue). I am hoping my segmented pieces are not used outdoors or need water resistance, lol. Just wondering what others are using and why.

I appreciate your insight.

Thanks,
Ron

Jon McElwain
10-01-2011, 4:26 PM
Quote from Malcolm Tibbetts website, http://www.tahoeturner.com/faqs.html.

"What kind of glue do you use?"
"I assemble the majority of my joinery using Franklin Titebond Original. Occasionally, I use Titebond Extend and/or Gorilla Glue. I have just started to experiment with Titebond III."

John Beaver
10-01-2011, 4:39 PM
I use primarily Titebond 2. (Titebond 3 if I want a darker joint) I have found (from research and experience) that Titebond 2 is the best glue for end grain joints, so I prefer it for gluing the segments together.
Hard to argue with Malcolm, as he has glued way more segments then I have, but I think any Titebond / PVA will work fine.

Robert McGowen
10-01-2011, 4:40 PM
I have done quite a few segmented pieces and have never used anything other than Titebond II. Works great for me.

Greg Just
10-01-2011, 5:16 PM
It depends what I'm making. I make a lot of staved travel mugs and I use no less than TB2. Birdhouses get TB3. If it will be sitting on a shelf, TB1 is just fine.

Ronald Fox
10-01-2011, 7:28 PM
Sounds like there is no reason to change and I will continue to use Titebond 2. Thanks for all of your replies.

Ron

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Ron, you really can't go wrong with any of the Titebond's with the exception on the #3 which dries a little darker and can be seen more easily between light-colored woods. I still mostly use the Original. I think I just like the way it forms its tackiness and it washes off my hands more easily. For outdoor stuff and salad bowls, I recommend the III.