PDA

View Full Version : Is your shop a mess?

Josh Bowman
10-01-2011, 7:00 AM
Here's Mike Mahoney's after a turning session.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l_Ehl-Jcx3g/TUK7hj1bt5I/AAAAAAAAAKU/G5DKG5IuxD4/s1600/mess.jpg

Ken Whitney
10-01-2011, 7:43 AM
The broom on the left seems to be a bit overwhelmed:)

Lee Koepke
10-01-2011, 7:59 AM
I certainly feel better about my shop .... on the other hand, I feel guilty about not using my shop enough to get it this 'dirty' ...

Donny Lawson
10-01-2011, 8:03 AM
WOW, now that's a turning session. That will take some time to clean up. Speaking of cleaning up I need to head out to the shop and do some of that myself. I'm expecting a "Creeker" visit today.

Dennis Ford
10-01-2011, 8:04 AM
I thought my shop was a mess.

Rob Sitze
10-01-2011, 8:08 AM
My OCD kicks in about the third bowl and I dig out the broom and shovel, that and I can't stand to walk on the shavings.

jeff schnell
10-01-2011, 8:48 AM
I guess that's why Glenn Lucas http://glennlucas.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/GlennLucasWoodTurner aims his shaving right at the dumpster behind him. He says it saves him 1 1/2 hours a day of cleanup.

Greg Just
10-01-2011, 9:14 AM
That's a lot of bowls!

Roger Chandler
10-01-2011, 9:29 AM
Nope! Can't do that! :eek: I have to clean up after every single project............first of all, I don't have the room to let shavings pile up like that..........besides, I like to be able to find my tools when I need them! Of course, since I do not make my living from turning, and it is only a hobby..............I don't turn 50 pieces at a time either!

Still....................nope, can't do that! :eek:

Rich Aldrich
10-01-2011, 9:32 AM
I can only imagine a turning session where I could make that many shavings. I agree Greg - that is amazing how many bowls he has roughed out.

charlie knighton
10-01-2011, 10:16 AM
he is going to be at north carolina symposium early november, hope we have room to sit down to watch the rotation because of the shavings

what kind of lathe is that???????????

Jim Laumann
10-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Hope someone near by has a horse or some such - great animal bedding there.

Betty Fox
10-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I've always wondered why they can't use those shavings for weddings. Who wants rice in their hair?
I wouldn't consider that shop messy. I would consider it well used. Just add a rug. Sweep shavings under rug. Viola!!!!!!

Hilel Salomon
10-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I have a problem with Lucas' throwing everything into the dump. The shavings can be used for horses or, if treated, for mulch. The cutouts can certainly be used for firewood. I used them as kindling. At the very least, both can be used in compost piles. I'm not a radical environmentalist, but ......

David E Keller
10-01-2011, 11:57 AM
...or, if treated, for mulch...

I'm curious about what you mean here, Hilel... I've been dumping my curlies in the beds in the back, but I haven't done anything to them. Thanks!

Michael Mills
10-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Where is Audrey II? Maybe shavings now?

Reminds me of....

jeff schnell
10-01-2011, 1:17 PM
I pretty sure Glenn might sell the shavings to farms now. Someone used to come pick the shavings up and now he collects them and maybe sells them? Send him a email.

Bob Bergstrom
10-01-2011, 1:57 PM
I threw out a Robust tool rest in the shavings one day. I know I'm missing some calipers the same way. I now try to sort through the shavings.

Harvey M. Taylor
10-01-2011, 2:36 PM
I am playing the devil's advocate here. I dont see how he could get to the lathe the way the shavings are piled up at the turning side of the lathe. Why would he throw all those shavings over his shoulder behind him? The shavings are so high he would have to squat down to do any turning. Thats my story, and I am sticking to it. Max in Ft. Worth Tx.

tom martin
10-01-2011, 3:10 PM
Hilel- I don't think Lucas' dumpsters are destined for the dump (landfill). I would guess he has a market for his waste.
Tom

David DeCristoforo
10-01-2011, 3:52 PM
I would like to suggest a completely different line of thinking. This shop is not a "mess". It's alive with evidence of focused productivity. Underneath this exuberant manifestation of human endeavor is an extremely well organized working environment. It's all in your perspective...

And yes, we must pity the poor broom... so completely overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task at hand... cowering in fear that at any moment it might be called upon to "step up"...

Marty Eargle
10-01-2011, 4:04 PM
And yes, we must pity the poor broom... so completely overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task at hand... cowering in fear that at any moment it might be called upon to "step up"...

Pity the broom? That thing is made of wood...it should consider itself lucky it's still in one piece after all that turning.

Jon McElwain
10-01-2011, 4:06 PM
I am playing the devil's advocate here. I dont see how he could get to the lathe the way the shavings are piled up at the turning side of the lathe. Why would he throw all those shavings over his shoulder behind him? The shavings are so high he would have to squat down to do any turning. Thats my story, and I am sticking to it. Max in Ft. Worth Tx.

I think if you look close you can see a few fingers sticking out of that pile of shavings. Maybe Mike's still in there!

ray hampton
10-01-2011, 5:03 PM
What Mike need is a big powerful electric fan to spread good cheer , more wood curlies

Wayne Hendrix
10-01-2011, 6:49 PM
I'm curious about what you mean here, Hilel... I've been dumping my curlies in the beds in the back, but I haven't done anything to them. Thanks!

I think what he means is that if they are treated you can't use them for horses and so they are only good for mulch. Untreated is good for either.

Nick Stagg
10-01-2011, 7:16 PM
Hilel
If you watch his video his shaving's do go for animal bedding and he cores out every bowl. No wasted wood, the dumpster is emptied into a truck and then hauled off to various farms

Ronald Fox
10-01-2011, 7:33 PM
Betty likes to have shaving under her lathe. She claims that it is a cushion for things she drops. It just looks like this guy must drop large items and doesn’t want to dent them, lol

Ron

Betty Fox
10-01-2011, 8:05 PM
It's the bounce factor. When I part off my spinning tops I want a soft cushion for them. :)

Thomas Canfield
10-01-2011, 10:37 PM
And that is with a coring system. Think what it would look like without one. I have made a pretty good size pile roughing out a 19" D x 8" green turn bowl without a coring systen and that was nowhere near that pile of shavings. The stacks of green turned bowls are impressive also.

Chris Burgess
10-01-2011, 10:42 PM
That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

Russell Neyman
10-02-2011, 4:52 AM
If you look closely, you'll see that Mike is actually standing behind the lathe, covered with the shavings.

Denny Rice
10-02-2011, 5:58 AM
My OCD kicks in about the third bowl and I dig out the broom and shovel, that and I can't stand to walk on the shavings.

My son accuses me of the same problem. He says my OCD is bad! LOL

Cheryl A. Prince
10-02-2011, 7:55 AM
If I clean up the shop... can I have it???!!!:rolleyes:

Bill Bulloch
10-02-2011, 8:03 AM
Now that is a lot of roughouts and a lot of shavings too. I am wondering about the blanks along the wall though. The way they are stacked makes me believe that they are not hollowed on the inside. Anyone know why that might be?

After thought: Maybe they are for coring -- looks like that is what he has done to some of the ones in the foreground.

Ian Jeffcock
10-02-2011, 3:27 PM
My shop is always spotless.....not

jeff schnell
10-03-2011, 8:02 AM
I have a problem with Lucas' throwing everything into the dump. The shavings can be used for horses or, if treated, for mulch. The cutouts can certainly be used for firewood. I used them as kindling. At the very least, both can be used in compost piles. I'm not a radical environmentalist, but ......

Hile, Glenn Lucas just emailed and he would like everyone to know the following about what he does with his Shavings.

Could you please mention that none of my waste goes into landfill. Shavings go to a fish monger for smoking and also a farmer for bedding.We get fish in exchange and the farmer pays for it.
The skip holds about 1000 Gallons and is filled 2 times each day while rough turning.
Waste wood is seasoned for our home woodboiler. All bowls are cored. Any thing that can be recycled is.

Thanks Glenn

jeff schnell
10-03-2011, 8:07 AM
I just received an email from Glenn Lucas on what he does with his shavings.

Could you please mention that none of my waste goes into landfill. Shavings go to a fish monger for smoking and also a farmer for bedding.We get fish in exchange and the farmer pays for it.
The skip holds about 1000 Gallons and is filled 2 times each day while rough turning.
Waste wood is seasoned for our home woodboiler. All bowls are cored. Any thing that can be recycled is.

Thanks Glenn

Dick Wilson
10-03-2011, 8:40 AM
It is now official!!!! I do not have the messiest shop in the world. I feel right proud of my housekeeping at this point.:D:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Me to Dick. My wife is always getting on me about cleaning up. I showed her the picture and told her my shop was prestine.:D;) I use my chips in the composter I use for grass clippings. I use a lot of grass and then add wood shavings.

Josh Bowman
10-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Now that is a lot of roughouts and a lot of shavings too. I am wondering about the blanks along the wall though. The way they are stacked makes me believe that they are not hollowed on the inside. Anyone know why that might be?

After thought: Maybe they are for coring -- looks like that is what he has done to some of the ones in the foreground.
Bill, talked with Mike once on the phone and asked if that was a setup for the photo. He said that's a typical turning session for him since he makes his living doing production. He says he's slowing down to persue other stuff.