PDA

View Full Version : The Things You See At Home Shows

Jim Becker
02-26-2005, 7:28 PM
Dr. SWMBO and I ventured forth to the Suburban Home Show in Ft. Washington today to check out this and that. Like most shows, there were the usual vendors hawking big, fluffy synthetic chamois, "unbelievable" floor brooms and all kinds of what-not in between the more focused booths...which at this show would in my mind be things like windows, HVAC, roofing, water treatment, landscaping, etc.

The one vendor that caught my eye and produced a smile was an outfit called, "Tomboy Tools"...featuring, yep, tools..."designed by women for women". Actually it's a neat idea in that some were scaled a little differently than the common implements on the shelves and walls at the local big-box tool coral. With more and more women being seriously involved in home improvement and woodworking, having some new choices that may (or may not) be more comfortable to use is a good thing. I wonder if innovative companies like this will ever be able to get broad enough distribution to get beyond just the show floor and into the mass market stores?
-----

One material I was very impressed with was the cultured stone veneers that a number of vendors were showing. These products really do look and feel like the ream McCoy, yet should be less expensive to install since the structure of anything carrying the stone veneer is often merely common concrete/cinder block. They also indicated that the product could be made to match very closely the native stone in an area...something of interest to me to allow a unifying theme between our existing limestone structure and some potential future improvements.

Karl Laustrup
02-26-2005, 7:38 PM
Man, there's another million dollar idea that got away. :(

All it takes is the idea and I think this might just make it.:)

Steve Inniss
02-27-2005, 8:04 AM
Hi Jim,

I think this is an example? I used cultured stone on my cottage exactly because it did not require the extraordinary support that real stone would, and - to me at least - looked great. This is but one example of what's available - I think it was called: stream stone, winter. Great stuff, I just used 2x and plywood around the zeroclearance and cement board for the chimney chase outside. -Steve

Jeff Sudmeier
02-27-2005, 9:30 AM
Most stone work on buildings done today is now done with cultured stone. My cousin works for a company that installs it. They are backlogged for 3 years :)

Jim Becker
02-27-2005, 9:33 AM
Yes, Steve, that's the stuff, although we would obviously be looking to "match" the older portion of our home shown in the picture below. That's largely limestone...this particular "spot" where we live is in the one noted limestone uprising in eastern PA. It's lovely stuff...even has some crystals in it once in awhile!

Your cottage looks great!

Jim Becker
02-27-2005, 9:35 AM
Most stone work on buildings done today is now done with cultured stone.
Yes, there is a lot of it being used here, although largely on new construction. Folks having work done on the large number of mid-1700s structures in the immediate area, however, are keeping the masons busy stacking up real stone a lot, too.

JayStPeter
02-27-2005, 11:37 AM
I took a look at that Tomboy tools website. Not real impressive. I didn't see any real "improved" tools over those at home centers. Plus, their automotive "kit" is basically an adjustable wrench. Sheesh, it has taken me years to convince my wife that an adjustable wrench is a last resort tool. Not the first thing you grab when you see a nut or bolt.
They seem like the typical "first" toolkits you can buy at places like Target. Certainly not for women who actually know how and enjoy using tools but want a hammer designed for their anatomy.

Jay

Jim Becker
02-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Jay. I couldn't get close enough to the booth to actualy SEE anything up close and personal...and I also appreciate your very last sentence which is important, IMHO. There is more to designing tools for "people" than the color of the handle!

Jerry Olexa
02-27-2005, 4:04 PM
I used the cultured stone a few years ago in the wood stove area of my cabin. Nice to work with and I thought, good looking. Biggest advantage I saw was realistic looking but much lighter weight. Jim, that portion of your home in stone looks great! Very authentic and adds much character. It'll probably be difficult to get an exact match.

Steve Inniss
02-27-2005, 7:31 PM
Yes, Steve, that's the stuff, although we would obviously be looking to "match" the older portion of our home shown in the picture below. That's largely limestone...this particular "spot" where we live is in the one noted limestone uprising in eastern PA. It's lovely stuff...even has some crystals in it once in awhile!

Your cottage looks great!

Thanks Jim. I like your place too, nothing like an old home.
There are, as you probably know, quite a variety available. I've seen heritage buildings pretty well "matched" using a selection of two or three of the varieties/colors of cultured stone in the single application - looks stunning. -Steve