PDA

View Full Version : WIA: Please report....

Chris Griggs
09-30-2011, 5:52 PM
That's right, I'm hopping on the bandwagon. Don't judge me....:D

So, to you folks who made it out to WIA, please make this super dork's weekend more exciting by allowing me to live vicariously through you. Report in! What's going on? How are the classes? Learning any cool techniques? And most importantly what's new in the marketplace? I'm anticipating that after the conference there will perhaps be some new tools on LN, LV's, and other's webpages. Any glimpses of the hopefully non-mythological LN plow or the LV chisels? Any other new things or prototypes being displayed - inquiring minds want to know.

Dave Lehnert
09-30-2011, 6:24 PM
Just got back from the trade show at the Woodworking in America show in Cincinnati and had a blast!

This show is so great because EVERYONE who is anyone in woodworking is there. (Except Norm)
I helped Scott Phillips hang a banner at the Woodcraft booth and was shooting film for a show next May. Rob Cosman gave me a lesson on how to sharpen a hand plane blade. Tommy MacDonald was there talking about his show. Chris Swartz had his tool chest full of tools out and invited me to get them out and play with them. (yea me!!!) Talked to Ron Hock for a few.
Stopped in for a snack and who came and sat at the table? Tomas Lie Nielson himself. Later he stopped in at the Lee Valley booth and talked to the guys there about hand planes and watched me using a hand plane. (oh the pressure) Got to meet the tool designer at Lee Valley. I could go on and on on all who I got to meet woodworking related.

FYI- Lee Valley was showing their new chisels due out this fall. SWEET!! Different handle than the Lie Nielson or the new Stanley. The handles themselves are longer. well balanced tool. They did not have them priced yet.

Popular Woodworking was selling their annual back issue CD's for a $1.00 each:D . 2000 to 2009 . Now I can toss all my paper issues.

So many woodworking shows is such a disappointment. But this one is over the top. Almost every booth is staffed by the tool maker/ owner themselves.

Forgot to add that Patrick Leach from Supertool.com was there will all his inventory of old tools. :)

Bill Moser
09-30-2011, 7:09 PM
FYI- Lee Valley was showing their new chisels due out this fall. SWEET!! Different handle than the Lie Nielson or the new Stanley. The handles themselves are longer. well balanced tool. They did not have them priced yet.

Oh Noooooooooo! I really didn't want to hear that. I really didn't (peeks into wallet again). :rolleyes:

Dave Lehnert
09-30-2011, 9:03 PM
Oh Noooooooooo! I really didn't want to hear that. I really didn't (peeks into wallet again). :rolleyes:

Said a powdered metal (hope I got that right) model due out next spring.
To be clear. The LV looks kinda like the long handle LN.

Said the chisels have been on hold because they were having a grinder made in Germany and it just arrived in Canada.

Augusto Orosco
09-30-2011, 9:23 PM
Just got back from the trade show at the Woodworking in America show in Cincinnati and had a blast!

This show is so great because EVERYONE who is anyone in woodworking is there. (Except Norm)
I helped Scott Phillips hang a banner at the Woodcraft booth and was shooting film for a show next May. Rob Cosman gave me a lesson on how to sharpen a hand plane blade. Tommy MacDonald was there talking about his show. Chris Swartz had his tool chest full of tools out and invited me to get them out and play with them. (yea me!!!) Talked to Ron Hock for a few.
Stopped in for a snack and who was came and sat at the table? Tomas Lie Nielson himself. Later he stopped in at the Lee Valley booth and talked to the guys there about hand planes and watched me using a hand plane. (oh the pressure) Got to meet the tool designer at Lee Valley. I could go on and on on all who I got to meet woodworking related.

Popular Woodworking was selling their annual back issue CD's for a $1.00 each:D . 2000 to 2009 . Now I can toss all my paper issues.

So many woodworking shows is such a disappointment. But this one is over the top. Almost every booth is staffed by the tool maker/ owner themselves.

Forgot to add that Patrick Leach from Supertool.com was there will all his inventory of old tools. :)

That sounds too good to be true :p! (Just kidding). As Chris mentioned, thanks for letting us live vicariously through you. Enjoy the show! Hope they keep the quality of the show for next year, because attending will be a birthday present to myself.

Oh... and keep us updated. Perhaps we should appoint you as our official SMC on-site reporter!

Dave Lehnert
09-30-2011, 9:32 PM
I did hear at the show that David Charlesworth is having very serious health issues. I did not catch what may be happening. Anyone know if this is true or not or whats wrong?

Augusto Orosco
09-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I did hear at the show that David Charlesworth is having very serious health issues. I did not catch what may be happening. Anyone know if this is true or not or whats wrong?

All I know is what was posted at PPW Editor's Blog: That he had pneumonia and had to cancel his attendance. I think it also forced him to cancel an appearance at a LN event. I truly hope there's no more to that and that he gets better soon!

Dave Lehnert
09-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Stihl (The chainsaw people) were at the show. Anyone know that Stihl makes two models of a wet/dry vac? I was surprised at how quiet they were.

http://www.stihlusa.com/vacuums/se122.html

Derek Cohen
10-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Stihl (The chainsaw people) were at the show. Anyone know that Stihl makes two models of a wet/dry vac? I was surprised at how quiet they were.

http://www.stihlusa.com/vacuums/se122.html

How could your hear them over the sound of the chainsaws? :)

Incidentally, would someone post a picture or two of the LV chisels - I have only seen/handled the pre-production version for the steel. They did not have the production handles, so I am curious (as much as anyone). I will say that, based on the last bunch, the construction is unlike LN chisels (although there is a superficial resemblance) ;)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim R Edwards
10-01-2011, 7:24 AM
Any sightings of the Lie Nielsen low angle rabbeting jack plane?

Chris Griggs
10-01-2011, 8:38 AM
Thanks for reporting in Dave. It will be interesting to hear how well balanced the LV chisels are with the slightly longer handle- too me whats so nice about the LN/750 style chisels their balance. Obviously this is EXTREMELY subjective, but it will be really cool if LV manages to make a slightly longer handle but still keep that chisel fairly lightweight and maintain a center of gravity that's in the blade rather then in the handle - if that makes sense.

Also, thanks for sharing the non LN/LV stuff like the wet/dry vac - its always fun to get a heads up on other types of useful products.

Eric Brown
10-01-2011, 9:41 AM
Patrick Leach was there with all his old tools and his new square. Nice remake of an old design. Chris Vesper had all his squares and other tools. They looked very nice too. George was right. He does good work. As someone mentioned Ron Hock was there. Kevin Glen-Drake had his tools there but was only taking orders. Lee Marshal from Knew Concepts was there with his beautiful saws and just around the corner Elk Head Tools had theie beautiful replacement handles for the Knew Concept saws plus their beautiful screwdrivers and the new down turning jig for your tablesaw. Got to meet Chris Schwarz and noticed he did not get his big dividers done for the show. Adam Cherubini was giving a free talk about chisels. (This year they put it up in the corner away from the power tools which was nice.) John Sindelar was there with his Tool Museum. (Note: this cost $5 to see, but all the money goes to support the museum. He plans on making the museum a standalone place pretty soon and has some major collectors that are going to donate. I think he said it will be about 30000 square feet of display. Michigan location.

Catherine Kennedy was also there showing her wonderful plane engraving. Quality Engraving was showing his custom made branding irons. (Not limited to just text or size like the common store types.) Charle Brock had a bunch of chairs there. Adjust-a-bench, several wood suppliers, different schools, Tools for working Wood, were there too. Lie-Nielson only had one new tool, it was a wooden spoke shave with an adjustable mouuth (hammer taps) but I like the WoodJoy designs better (they weren't there). Lee Vally had all their new saws snd chisels layed out and lots of other tools. Of course WoodCraft was there with the planes and all that being presented by Rob Cosman. Sorry, but somehow I missed those new half-round planes posted about earlier.

Bad Ax, Blue Spruce and BenchCrafted was there. BenchCrafted had some nice bench-on-bench pieces available.

Didn't spend much time with the power tool areas. Powermatic, Laguna and other were there.

Many more displays were there but I didn't spend the time to see them all.

I will try to post some pictures of the overall and some of the Sindelar Museum later.

Eric

Jim Koepke
10-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Wow!

Well, next time I have a big lottery win I will make reservations and attend WIA. :)

jtk

Andrae Covington
10-01-2011, 2:55 PM
Wow!

Well, next time I have a big lottery win I will make reservations and attend WIA. :)

jtk

No kidding, wish there was something equivalent out this way. Woodworking in (Eastern) America.:rolleyes: (C'mon, don't tell me it's the Midwest, it's still about 2000 miles east from here.)

Thanks for the reports. Any feedback on the classes? Anyone go to the off-site evening lectures/discussions?

Bob Warfield
10-02-2011, 12:23 PM
My wife and I were at the market place Friday and Saturday,
sorry we forgot a camera. What a show. You really should make every effort to
attend. I actually held the new Veritas chisels. They are very nice. I couldn't
believe how light weight they were for their size. They do have rather long
handles which I would have to get used to. And Rob got a bunch of my money. I
bought a low angle skew block, the small plow plane with all the blades, and
their large shoulder plane. LV had 10% off plus free shipping for all orders
placed at the show. I also spent a pretty good wad with LieNielson, Woodcraft,
and Vesper. I actually got one of the long thin marking knives marked Cohen -
Vesper in Tiger Maple I think.
On a side note, my wife and I were sitting
near the entrance on Friday near the escalators. All the sudden Roy Underhill
came down the escalator, turned and went right back up. He was carrying what I
thought was an ax stuck in a small log in one hand and what I thought was an ax
in the other. I thought to myself "this guy is a real nut case". I guess that's
why we all love him!
Anyway, other than route 70 west of Indionapolis, we had
a really good time. I would also suggest if you take your family be sure to
check out the Newport Aquarium, awesome!
Thanks...Bob

andrew messimer
10-02-2011, 9:35 PM
I went down on Saturday morning. Got a pass for the day. Saw Chris Schwarz do mitered dovetails, saw Ron Herman talk about saw sharpening and shooting boards, and saw Peter Follansbee give a quick demo on his technique for mortise and tenon joints and some "simple" carving stuff. Ron Herman was great. The guy has no love for tool collectors and was ragging on them every chance he got. He was throwing planes around just to get people riled up. He definitely is of the philosophy that they are meant to be used and not oogled. The market place was good as other's have said though I think last year may have been better. I know I came home with more money than I did last year.

I also went to the Roubo dinner and got to hear Don Williams talk about the translation of the book and how that was coming along. He also showed off some tools he made based on things he learned from the book. A frame saw and some squares come to mind, though there were others. Roy gave the intro in French and I think I heard a little bit of German in there as well. Not sure, but I think the German bit was actually the "Killer Joke" from Monty Python's Flying Circus.

The one thing I did take away from my time down there is this: I'm not the most social of people, but woodworkers seem to be overall very friendly and easy people to talk to. Maybe that's because we know we all have something in common, but I think there is something more. Not sure though. Had a great time and hope to go again.

Adam Cherubini
10-02-2011, 9:57 PM
I had a lot of fun. I like getting to meet everybody. Got to meet Catherine Kennedy, missed Tommy MacDonald. Shared a conference room with Japanese style woodworker Jay Van Arsdale and got to listen in on some of his sessions. I learned some stuff in Megan's joinery lecture this morning. Had fun hanging out in the hand tool olympics booth. Easily could have been a 4 or 5 day event for me. I would have liked to attend all the lectures and spend a lot more time in the marketplace talking to everybody. I've never been to cinci/covington - loved it. It was especially fun having a hotel room basically adjoining the conference center. I was able to change clothes when I was done giving talks. Most folks didn't recognize me out of uniform.

I really wish I had more time there. There were a bunch of people I missed and wanted to talk to. The "how to save woodworking" dinner was a highlight for me, or what I can remember of it (ok, a liter of dunkel didn't set me back quite that far, but thanks to my friend Dave for driving me there and back!).

Adam

John Coloccia
10-02-2011, 10:32 PM
The one thing I did take away from my time down there is this: I'm not the most social of people, but woodworkers seem to be overall very friendly and easy people to talk to. Maybe that's because we know we all have something in common, but I think there is something more. Not sure though. Had a great time and hope to go again.

I've found the same thing. There's something about things like woodworking/metalworking/etc the seems to mellow people out. I think it's a sense that we've all been through the wringer and that no matter what the skill level, we've all had to succumb to the whim of material that doesn't want to do what you want it to do. It's almost like we share a bond of frustration and the frustration weeds out the posers, leaving behind the ones that are dedicated.

That's how I see it. I see it where I work. I can tell the ones that have been doing it forever, vs. the ones that are just starting to get their butt's kicked, vs. the ones that are tool collectors, and I can which of the tool collectors will be back for more. It's a difficult path that's not for everyone.

Stew Hagerty
10-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I was there for the duration and I had a great time. Chuck Bender taught me how to make Bermuda Dovetails, Thomas Lie-Nielsen himself showed me around his hand plane selections, I had a long talk with Tommy (plus he gave me some very cool personalized gifts for my nephews, 13 & 10, who spent a lot of time with me in the workshop over the weekend), and my personal highlight of the weekend was when I got to watch Roy Underhill break a giant chunk out of the workbench.

Workbench Before:

Workbench After:

The "After" pic was obviously posed. After he broke it, we all made him pose so we could get the pictures.

Chris Griggs
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
He broke the Schwarz's bench! That's crazy. Then again, who better to break your bench than St. Roy. I'm sure the podcasters/bloggers will post their highlights this week, but its really fun to hear all your individual stories/experiences. Thanks for posting.

Matt Radtke
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Strictly speaking, isn't that his daughter's bench?

Dave Lehnert
10-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I have gotten to the point I won't drive downtown anymore to go to the other so called SHOWS. They are just a big flea market. Nothing more than what you see at Woodcraft, Rockler or Hardwood Lumber and More (Local store) But this show put on by Popular Woodworking is a must see. I like what the staff at Popular Woodworking is doing to promote the craft and hope woodworkers will continue to support them. I will be a subscriber for a long time.

Megan Fitzpatrick
10-03-2011, 1:10 PM
Strictly speaking, isn't that his daughter's bench?

It is indeed Katy's bench. I'm sure Chris will be able to fix it...and not with blue tape!

And Dave, thanks very much for your kind comments!

Jason Coen
10-03-2011, 2:45 PM
The marketplace was amazing. Basically every tool I've ever wanted to test drive was under the same roof. It was also especially informative to be able to talk to the very people that made, designed, or otherwise perfected those tools. Where else can you get a sharpening tip from Deneb, go cut a moulding with Matt Bickford, fondle some new LV chisels, and then try out the new Benchcrafted hardware while cutting dovetails with a Bad Axe saw without having to walk more than 100 feet?

The dinners were great. Really interesting stuff at Hofbrauhaus on Friday, even if Adam did get a big head from hearing "Adam's right..." one too many times. Roy and Don on Saturday were fantastic. Well, I think Roy was fantastic - I only caught about 1/3 of what he said (but got all of the French profanity).

If anyone ever gets a chance to hear Ron Herman speak about anything - DO IT. Seriously, after attending his saw sharpening class, if the guy announced he were reading the back of a cereal box at midnight on the corner of a desolate street in China, I'd make every effort I could to hear it.

And Adam - I was the guy on the elevator that said "Holy &^&@, it's Adam!" when you were out of uniform.

The Marriott was great - only had to head downstairs and across the walkway to get to the classes and the marketplace. The hot breakfast on our floor didn't hurt things, either.

Augusto Orosco
10-03-2011, 2:51 PM
It is indeed Katy's bench. I'm sure Chris will be able to fix it...and not with blue tape!

And Dave, thanks very much for your kind comments!

Have the city and date for next year WIA been decided already, or is it too early to ask :p ?

Augusto Orosco
10-03-2011, 3:03 PM
... my personal highlight of the weekend was when I got to watch Roy Underhill break a giant chunk out of the workbench.

The "After" pic was obviously posed. After he broke it, we all made him pose so we could get the pictures.

I had to check my Aug 2010 PWW issue to take a closer look at the bench. I think it broke along one of the cracks Chris filled in with epoxy? How did Roy manage to break it?

Megan Fitzpatrick
10-03-2011, 3:09 PM
A bit too early...but we hope to have news on that front sooner rather than later.

Simon Frez-Albrecht
10-03-2011, 7:08 PM
Looks like Roy broke a chunk off none-other-than Chris Schwarz's beautiful workbench!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-03-2011, 8:55 PM
I've done a bit of searching around the internet - didn't *anyone* take photos of those LV chisels? I must be searching in the wrong places . ..

Edit: never mind, I found some on one of the other forums . . . I only really read here.

Joe Cunningham
10-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Have the city and date for next year WIA been decided already, or is it too early to ask :p ?

I wanted to go this year, but 'real' work got in the way. I think I'll make the trip next year.

Stew Hagerty
10-04-2011, 3:23 PM
I had to check my Aug 2010 PWW issue to take a closer look at the bench. I think it broke along one of the cracks Chris filled in with epoxy? How did Roy manage to break it?

Yes it did look like it broke off along one of the fracture lines. He tapped in a holdfast to while showing how to pare the profile on a door frame joint and several seconds later, there it went. The dog hole must have been near or along the joint. His reaction was: "Oh Oh, I'm in trouble now"

george wilson
10-04-2011, 3:39 PM
I don't see why,if the wood was defective in the first place. Didn't it have an epoxied crack in it? I have had epoxy continue to harden until it got too brittle after months,and just let go if under tension.

Augusto Orosco
10-04-2011, 3:46 PM
I don't see why,if the wood was defective in the first place. Didn't it have an epoxied crack in it?
George, as I understand it, Chris was determined to make the top out of a single slab (this was a hand tool-only project, so ripping 3"+ thick stock for a lamination sounded too daunting). At the end, all he could find were two pieces of cherry that were to be joined together to reach the desired 2' with or so. Even though there were some checks in the slab, he decided to go for it and filled in some of the cracks with some sort of epoxy.

I am sure it can be fixed, but seeing it fail the way it did makes me think that he might have asked too much from a less than perfect board (although it looked rather nice, even with the stained epoxy, I must confess)

David Weaver
10-04-2011, 4:10 PM
It looks like there was a holdfast hole right in a glue joint...that was going to happen sooner or later.

Calculated risk, maybe. But the calculations must not have included a Roy adjustment.

Rob Fisher
10-04-2011, 6:44 PM
I don't see why,if the wood was defective in the first place. Didn't it have an epoxied crack in it? I have had epoxy continue to harden until it got too brittle after months,and just let go if under tension.I believe the epoxy Chris used is designed to be used in exterior architectural repair work. Meaning it I'd supposed to remain at least slightly elastic. Chris talked about the specific product on his blog. I don't remember the name of it currently.

Stew Hagerty
10-04-2011, 7:45 PM
It looks like there was a holdfast hole right in a glue joint...that was going to happen sooner or later.

Calculated risk, maybe. But the calculations must not have included a Roy adjustment.

I just know it was the highlight of the conference for me.

Andrae Covington
10-04-2011, 7:52 PM
I believe the epoxy Chris used is designed to be used in exterior architectural repair work. Meaning it I'd supposed to remain at least slightly elastic. Chris talked about the specific product on his blog. I don't remember the name of it currently.

Flex-Tec, apparently. He talks about it in this blog post (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/workbenches/black-ooze-and-a-waiting-game) and there's a link to where he bought it.

Dork alert: I have now realized those two dog holes were not there originally. They appear to have been added sometime between May and August of 2010. cf. the photo on this page (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/workbenches/take-a-look-a-roubo-for-2010) and this page (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/workbenches/18th-century-bench-four-month-report-card).

Charles Bender
10-18-2011, 2:18 AM
I was there for the duration and I had a great time. Chuck Bender taught me how to make Bermuda Dovetails, Thomas Lie-Nielsen himself showed me around his hand plane selections, I had a long talk with Tommy (plus he gave me some very cool personalized gifts for my nephews, 13 & 10, who spent a lot of time with me in the workshop over the weekend), and my personal highlight of the weekend was when I got to watch Roy Underhill break a giant chunk out of the workbench.

Stew, I'm happy you enjoyed the Bermuda dovetail lesson.

I know I'm a little late in replying but it sure was great meeting everyone. Got to catch up briefly with my friend Adam. Seems weird to have to travel to Kentucky to catch up with a guy who lives half an hour from me but...

If you haven't made it to a WIA conference, you should plan on it for next year.

Chris Griggs
10-18-2011, 7:31 AM
I saw a clip of Chuck Benders session on hidden drawers and compartments (I think on Matt Basement Workshop). Chuck you have a really great teaching/presentation style. It looked like a really great class. Made me really want to start saving up for a class at his school. I'm going to make a point ot take at least one course from him someday.

Susan Kahler
10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
This was my second time to attend WIA (first was in Berea three years ago), and my dad did as well. We had a GREAT time, and I learned a LOT. I cut my very first set of dovetails under the expert tutelage of Chuck Bender (who nicely signed them for me), got some hands-on saw sharpening experience in Ron Herman's session (and gained a lot of other woodworking knowledge from him as well--that man has more woodworking knowledge in the tip of his pinky finger than just about all of the attendees put together), enjoyed the heck out of myself in the vendor area (thanks, Gorilla Glue, for the glue and duct tape!), and gained good and useful knowledge from just about every one of the sessions I attended.

Below are some of the tools I drooled over at the Sindelar Tool Museum:

We are definitely planning on going back next year, if it's a reasonable distance from home.

Susan :)