PDA

View Full Version : 2 "old", 3 new (pic)

John Miliunas
02-26-2005, 8:20 PM
I'm gonna' double up on this post and take care of "old" business, as well as new. A few weeks ago, I received my long awaited LV planes, the Medium Shoulder plane and the LA Jack, along with the HA iron.:) Haven't had much a chance to use the Jack, yet, but the shoulder plane has already seen service on a project. Nice!:)

Then there was the Milwaukee WW Show this weekend. We got the jump on the crowds and made it down there on the first day. After numerous visits to the LN booth, I thought these little guys looked a little lonesome, so I decided to give them a new home!:D There's the 212 scraper plane, the 97-1/2 chisel plane and I figured I'd give the York pitch frog a go on my 4-1/2. I'll give more feedback on the above as I get a chance to use them. Thanks for taking a peek!:) :cool:

John Weber
02-26-2005, 8:28 PM
Very Nice little family there. I haven't used either of the LN planes so I'll look forard to a full report, as for the shoulder plane - I like mine as well, and I think everyone loves thier low angle jack be it a LV or LN. Excellent choices.

John

Karl Laustrup
02-26-2005, 8:35 PM
Yep, Spring, they do look a lot better on your bench, than in those boxes at the LN booth. Only place they'd look better would be on my bench. :D

Bob Marino
02-26-2005, 8:36 PM
Major score there John :) . Yes, a full report on the planes would be great. How was the show? BTW - nice avatar.

Bob

John Miliunas
02-26-2005, 8:44 PM
Major score there John :) . Yes, a full report on the planes would be great. How was the show? BTW - nice avatar.

Bob
Thanks guys! I think I'll be happy with them!:)

Bob, more on the show here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17311 , but as stated on that thread, I was a bit disappointed in some MIA vendors. The only Festool presence I saw was MY Festool shirt with the logo!:D :) :cool:

Gene Collison
02-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Wow John, you did it again, better order some new abrasives for that MK11. Congratulations!!

Gene

Jeff Sudmeier
02-27-2005, 10:46 AM
John, nice haul! That booth was hard for me to walk away from, but I did! :)

Mark Singer
02-27-2005, 10:53 AM
John,

I have the same problem at WW Shows....so how can I say you need help:confused:
Maybe we can get a package deal????

Jim Becker
02-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Beauties, John! Just "plane" nice!!!

John Dingman
02-27-2005, 11:34 AM
John,

Are you offering any "Shop Tours" for Wisconsin guys so they can come by and try out some of those beauties ;) ;) Very nice tools btw!

John

Doug Shepard
02-27-2005, 12:25 PM
That little LN baby scraper was actually the first LN tool I purchased. Very handy little tool for small scale stuff. Enjoy!

John Miliunas
02-27-2005, 1:33 PM
John,

I have the same problem at WW Shows....so how can I say you need help:confused:
Maybe we can get a package deal????
Mark, I think the biggest help I need is in paying off the CC, so I can fill it back up!:D :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-27-2005, 4:49 PM
John,

Are you offering any "Shop Tours" for Wisconsin guys so they can come by and try out some of those beauties ;) ;) Very nice tools btw!

John
Ohh John M?? You missed a post :) Any John D, My shop is always open, we wisconsinites all need to get together somewhere this summer! :)

John Miliunas
02-27-2005, 4:57 PM
Ohh John M?? You missed a post :) Any John D, My shop is always open, we wisconsinites all need to get together somewhere this summer! :)
Oh no I didn't! Actually, as it happens, I was busy making a deal on a nice #3 Stanley, originally coming from John D. himself! :) (Talk about putting some miles on a plane: Originally in Racine, WI, on to CA and then back to WI!):)

Anyhow, John you are welcome out here any time! :) And, I don't even descriminate against non-WI woodworkers! As it happens, I'm totally expecting a visit from our buddy Jerry O. from IL one of these fine days!:D Come on up...The more the merrier!:cool:

John Dingman
02-27-2005, 5:21 PM
Oh no I didn't! Actually, as it happens, I was busy making a deal on a nice #3 Stanley, originally coming from John D. himself! :) (Talk about putting some miles on a plane: Originally in Racine, WI, on to CA and then back to WI!):)

Anyhow, John you are welcome out here any time! :) And, I don't even descriminate against non-WI woodworkers! As it happens, I'm totally expecting a visit from our buddy Jerry O. from IL one of these fine days!:D Come on up...The more the merrier!:cool:Well thanks for the open invitation. I am sure one day I'll take ya up on it. Have to be a Saturday for me.

John

P.S. Check your pm's John

John Dingman
02-27-2005, 5:27 PM
Ohh John M?? You missed a post :) Any John D, My shop is always open, we wisconsinites all need to get together somewhere this summer! :)I agree, we Wisconsonites need to get together! And by the way Jeff and John, Likewise, my shop is always open for tours or just general hangin around;) Had a Woodnetter from Madison over yesterday, and we had a riot. He came by at about 3:30 p.m. and I think he hit the trail at 12:15 a.m. It's a blast meeting fellow woodworkers and sharing tips and ideas.

John

John Miliunas
02-27-2005, 5:29 PM
Well thanks for the open invitation. I am sure one day I'll take ya up on it. Have to be a Saturday for me.

John

P.S. Check your pm's John
Sounds like a plan in the making! Sat's are usually good for me. I spend the bulk of my weekend time in the shop!:D :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-28-2005, 9:09 AM
Sounds like a plan in the making! Sat's are usually good for me. I spend the bulk of my weekend time in the shop!:D :cool:

Let me know if you guys get together, I would be willing to stop by as well :) Always need a good excuse to visit John's shop :)

John Miliunas
02-28-2005, 9:18 AM
Let me know if you guys get together, I would be willing to stop by as well :) Always need a good excuse to visit John's shop :)
Absolutely! If we do this, I think I'd try to get Tom McMahon in on it, too, because he lives just West of me!:) And Dan in Mt. Horrible :D isn't too far away, either!:cool:

Louis Bois
02-28-2005, 9:25 AM
Thy plane arsenal doth groweth in leaps and bounds!!!

Well John, you've proven that you're in this for the long haul...you've bought some mighty fine tools...and seem to be able to use them as well. Impressive.

Now, how about moving on to the nest step?!? The "fettling fetish" so to speak? Buy yourself a beat up old Stanley to fill a hole in your ever-expanding collection...and have a go at refurbishing it. You'll learn an incredible amount about tuning a tool for optimum performance.

Try and work around a visit from Messieur Dingman...he's done a few:rolleyes: of these...it'll open your eyes!!!

Hope all these hand tools are giving you hours of contemplative fun in the workshop!

John Miliunas
02-28-2005, 9:30 AM
Thy plane arsenal doth groweth in leaps and bounds!!!

Well John, you've proven that you're in this for the long haul...you've bought some mighty fine tools...and seem to be able to use them as well. Impressive.

Now, how about moving on to the nest step?!? The "fettling fetish" so to speak? Buy yourself a beat up old Stanley to fill a hole in your ever-expanding collection...and have a go at refurbishing it. You'll learn an incredible amount about tuning a tool for optimum performance.

Try and work around a visit from Messieur Dingman...he's done a few:rolleyes: of these...it'll open your eyes!!!

Hope all these hand tools are giving you hours of contemplative fun in the workshop!
Ahhhh Louis...Good advise indeed, albeit just a tiny bit late! As of yesterday evening, I firmed up a little deal on a Stanley #3 and...are you ready for this? A Corsair, just to see what I can do with them! :) Then, just about 10 min. ago, I also sent shipping info to none other than Mr. Dingman on a 5-1/4!!! So, a'fettling I will go....! :D BTW, should one *have* to go to LN for a good iron or are there other options for the Stanley's?:) :cool:

Louis Bois
02-28-2005, 9:41 AM
Oh my...a Corsair, no less?!? You really are up for a challenge!!!:eek:

As for replacement irons, there are so many sources out there. I guess it depends if you want A2 or Carbon. You mentioned LN...there's also Hock, LV, Shepherd Tools, Spehar toolworks to name but a few. There's also Clifton with their fine Stay-Set caps...guess it also depends how much you want to spend.

Personally, I'd have a go with the stock blades. Tune those puppies up and only go for the thicker replacement blades if you're not happy with the outcome. It might just save you a few greenbacks to buy some more tools!!!

John Miliunas
02-28-2005, 9:52 AM
Oh my...a Corsair, no less?!? You really are up for a challenge!!!:eek:

As for replacement irons, there are so many sources out there. I guess it depends if you want A2 or Carbon. You mentioned LN...there's also Hock, LV, Shepherd Tools, Spehar toolworks to name but a few. There's also Clifton with their fine Stay-Set caps...guess it also depends how much you want to spend.

Personally, I'd have a go with the stock blades. Tune those puppies up and only go for the thicker replacement blades if you're not happy with the outcome. It might just save you a few greenbacks to buy some more tools!!!
I suspect you're right. I'll try and first see what I can get out of them in the stock configuration. If I recall the pricing, I think Hock is a bit more economical approach, so may even try that if the stock irons don't cut it. (pun intended :) ). Thanks for the advice! :cool:

Terry Hatfield
02-28-2005, 11:05 AM
j,

Now them are pretty!!!!!!!! Nice score!!

I'm headed to the KC show this weekend. Hopefully I won't have to mortgage my house at the LN booth.

t

John Miliunas
02-28-2005, 11:14 AM
j,

Hopefully I won't have to mortgage my house at the LN booth.

t
Ahem...I wouldn't count on it, Terry! There is LOTS to fall in love with in a hurrry at that particular booth!:) If the LN rep there is anywhere near as good as the fella' we had in Milwaukee, your cc will be just a'smokin' by the time you leave the area!:D :cool:

Terry Hatfield
02-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Must resist.....must resist..... :D

I'm going to pick up a few A2 blades for my keepers at least. Hopefully I can get out with my shirt. :D

t

John Miliunas
02-28-2005, 11:18 AM

I'm going to pick up a few A2 blades for my keepers at least. Hopefully I can get out with my shirt. :D

t
Sounds like a plan, but you may want to bring an extra shirt along, just in case!:D :cool:

Doug Shepard
02-28-2005, 11:34 AM
t
I have a theory that LN are really Star Trek's Borg in disguise.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Mike Scoggins
02-28-2005, 2:17 PM
John,

The WW Show will be in Houston in April, so I have a question for you: How are the prices at the LN booth (considering the 10% discount coupon that I've already received in the mail) compared to on-line prices such as FTJ?

Also, how do you like the No. 4 1/2 smoother versus a No. 4? When you bought the LN 4 1/2, did you consider the LV? If so, what was the deciding factor to go with the LN? That $100 difference could buy another nice block plane. :)

Thanks,

Mike

John Miliunas
02-28-2005, 6:41 PM
John,

The WW Show will be in Houston in April, so I have a question for you: How are the prices at the LN booth (considering the 10% discount coupon that I've already received in the mail) compared to on-line prices such as FTJ?

Also, how do you like the No. 4 1/2 smoother versus a No. 4? When you bought the LN 4 1/2, did you consider the LV? If so, what was the deciding factor to go with the LN? That $100 difference could buy another nice block plane. :)

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, in my case, I could've saved a few bucks by waiting and going with FTJ, but at the same time, I would not have received the personalized attention and great instruction I did at the show. I think the show prices are for most items, a tad bit less than FTJ, but after your local tax, it ends up being a bit more. Seeing as to how FTJ still has their free shipping going, that's the cheaper route if you're not in a hurry. I'm a bit impatient that way. I saw what I liked and had the opportunity to take it home with me.:D

Regarding the 4-1/2 vs. a #4, I can't tell you. I don't own a #4 (yet). I have the LV LA Jack and thus far, have only used it as an edge jointer.:rolleyes: I have nothing at all against LV and have a number of their pieces. I guess I picked LN because it is US made, it was recommended to me by several Neanders knowing a heckuva' lot more about this stuff than myself and the almost guaranteed return on investment. No, I don't intend to sell it anytime in the near future, but I'm even thinking in terms of my kids. Once I'm gone, they may decide it's not worth trying to take care of a collection like that and should be able to get a fair amount of $$ out of them. In the meantime, I've got a tool which is shear pleasure to use!:) :cool:

Roy Wall
02-28-2005, 9:12 PM
Ahem...I wouldn't count on it, Terry! There is LOTS to fall in love with in a hurrry at that particular booth!:) If the LN rep there is anywhere near as good as the fella' we had in Milwaukee, your cc will be just a'smokin' by the time you leave the area!:D :cool:John,
Talked to Mr. Lie- Nielson himself about the KC WW show. "Deneb" is the LN man at this particular show (probably others too).

Terry,

Looking forward to meeting you at the Breakfast and the show:)

John Miliunas
02-28-2005, 9:38 PM
John,
Talked to Mr. Lie- Nielson himself about the KC WW show. "Deneb" is the LN man at this particular show (probably others too).

Terry,

Terry, you best pack your fire extinguisher with your CC! Deneb IS the man!!! :D He's indeed the fella at the Milwaukee show and he knows this stuff inside out, upside down, backward, forward and the whole time with his eyes closed! Even if you don't buy anything (gasp!!!:eek: ), you need to spend some time at his demo. I swear you can learn stuff from this guy via osmosis! Enjoy!:) :cool:

Mark Stutz
02-28-2005, 9:56 PM
John,
I agree! Deneb is inspiring. He obviously does more than just demonstrate planes. He has clearly used this stuff seriuosly. Not only that, he is a really nice, personable guy--put up with all my questions, no matter how mundane, and made it seem like he had never been asked before!

Terry,
Better take that plastic with you! There is much more than bench planes--side rabbet planes,scraper planes, spokeshaves, saws, chisels--and all will be calling your name! :D

Terry Hatfield
02-28-2005, 10:00 PM
John,

Terry,

roy,

Looking forward to seeing you as well. It's gonna be a really good time. I can hardly wait.

t

Terry Hatfield
02-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Terry, you best pack your fire extinguisher with your CC! Deneb IS the man!!! :D He's indeed the fella at the Milwaukee show and he knows this stuff inside out, upside down, backward, forward and the whole time with his eyes closed! Even if you don't buy anything (gasp!!!:eek: ), you need to spend some time at his demo. I swear you can learn stuff from this guy via osmosis! Enjoy!:) :cool:

I gotta swear off buying a bunch 'o stuff at the show.....really. I've decided that I've gotta get a MKII so my wad is blown on that. Still trying to hold on to enough for a few LN blades though. I assume I can watch the demo's for free??????? :D

t