PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 22124 Value

Tim Fradette
09-30-2011, 1:21 PM
What would be a fair asking price for a used Craftsman 22124? I saw one on CL near me and they are asking $500 firm. Assuming it is in a good working condition and includes an average blade do you think the offer is fair? It does not include a mobile base.

I am looking to upgrade my bench top saw.

Joe Kieve
09-30-2011, 1:50 PM
Just my two cents, but I'd keep checking CL, mainly because I'm not a big fan of Crapsman power tools. I bought a Unisaw last year for the same thing he's asking....$500. Have seen PM 66's for the same price. They're there, just have to keep looking.

Joe

Paul Wunder
09-30-2011, 2:17 PM
The Craftsman 22124 has an excellent reputation. It has table mounted trunnions and a Biesmeyer fence. Its fit and finish are very good. It was made for Sears by Orien which is now Steel City so parts should be readily available. Don't let the Craftsman name put you off....Google the web for reviews from users. Having said that, $500 is a bit high and I would shoot for $400. I cannot advise on whether you are better off with a used "whatever" brand vs the 22124.

Andrew Kertesz
09-30-2011, 2:32 PM
On a different forum sponsored by a wood magazine one of the moderators uses this exact saw. His flatwork is phenomenal. He is a member of the Chicago Furniture Designers, his website: http://www​.mswoodcra​ft.com (http://www.mswoodcraft.com/) You can see what he accomplishes with that saw there.

Scott Donley
09-30-2011, 2:39 PM
mainly because I'm not a big fan of Crapsman power tools.I guess it is alright to insult all the owners of Craftsman tools. Craftsman has sold some good tools over the years, the 22124 being one of them, but that is just my opinion.

scott spencer
09-30-2011, 4:24 PM
Just my two cents, but I'd keep checking CL, mainly because I'm not a big fan of Crapsman power tools. .... Joe

What happens when they get one right like they did with the 22124? It just seems naive to me to recommend or completely disregard any tool based on the brand name without giving consideration to the actual tool involved...one size does not fit all.

If it's nice shape, I don't think $500 is a bad deal. No doubt I nice Uni, PM66, or even a Griz 1023 with a Shop Fox fence for the same price have an advantage if the OP has 220v and finds such a deal, but he didn't mention that it's available. Without 220v, I don't know how much more saw $500 buys than a like new 22124....bird in hand comes to mind.

Kyle Brooks
09-30-2011, 4:59 PM
I sold mine to my neighbor for that price and turned around and bought a Powermatic 71. The Powermatic is a much better saw. The only real problem I had with the Craftsman was the lack of power especially when cutting through some thicker oak. Just my 1 1/2 cent.

Stephen Cherry
09-30-2011, 5:04 PM
I'd skip it. If you get something like a PM66 or unisaw, in good shape; you could use it for as long as you would like, and when you are done you could get about what you paid for it. Perceptions are perceptions, and Craftsman does not have the following that delta or powermatic have.

Also, I don't buy anything with the price "firm", unless it is a low price that does not require further negotiation.

One thing about used equipment, there will always be a better deal (and worse) in the future.

Cary Falk
09-30-2011, 5:32 PM
The 22124 gets great reviews. I don't know about the price because I never owned one. $500 is probably fair. It is a huge step up from wher you are and much better than the standard contractor saw with the Beisemeyer fence and cabinet mounted trunnions. Don't shy away because it has Craftsman as the name. Delta and PM made crap amongst their gems also.

glenn bradley
09-30-2011, 8:33 PM
I agree that $500 is fair for that saw but, certainly not a hot deal. The Orion folks (Steel City, Delta, etc.) did a great job on this one and it is too bad it has gone away. The Delta and Steel City models are still available in some variation. The higher value and popularity of this guy came in no small part to the Beisemeyer Commercial Fence, Leitz Blade, cast iron wings and the ability to run at 110v (for folks who could not upgrade their electrical plant) or 220v. Price some of those items and the saw is nearly free ;). I bought one to replace my contractor saw and I keep looking at more powerful saws to move up to. None of them have enough pizzazz to get me to "trade up". A SawStop or a good 3HP saw with a riving knife may eventually woo me but, other used imports? Not yet at least.

John McClanahan
09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Offer him $425. Then maybe agree on $450. The $50 saved will almost get you the mobile base.

Lee Schierer
10-01-2011, 7:46 AM
Offer him $425. Then maybe agree on $450. The $50 saved will almost get you the mobile base.I pretty much agree, this saw sells new for $1100 and has pretty good reviews. I would try offering $400 with the cash right there where he can see it. Just because he is asking for an amount doesn't mean he won't settle for less. It should at least be a good starter saw if you decide to move to a different saw later on.

We all need to remember that it isn't the tools that make the heirloom, its the craftsman. Quality tools help lessen the frustration of getting there.

Joe Angrisani
10-01-2011, 9:11 AM
...If you get something like a PM66 or unisaw, in good shape; you could use it for as long as you would like, and when you are done you could get about what you paid for it. Perceptions are perceptions, and Craftsman does not have the following that delta or powermatic have.

We all need to remember that it isn't the tools that make the heirloom, its the craftsman. Quality tools help lessen the frustration of getting there.

Well said. Good points by both of you.

Mike Goetzke
10-01-2011, 9:14 AM
What would be a fair asking price for a used Craftsman 22124? I saw one on CL near me and they are asking $500 firm. Assuming it is in a good working condition and includes an average blade do you think the offer is fair? It does not include a mobile base.

I am looking to upgrade my bench top saw.

I bought one a few years back when they were on sale and Sears took HF 20% coupons and I paid a little less than that new so seems a bit high. After falling in love with a cabinet type saw I ended up selling it and buying a full size Uni. But, either saw would handle any of my projects.

Mike

phil harold
10-01-2011, 10:55 AM
well if it is on good condition have 450 cash in pocket

he is selling for a reason find out why

decent reviews on the machine
lumberjocks.com/reviews/539

but it will always be crapsman...
ps i used to buy crapsman hand tools for the lifetime warranty but now they dont replace the crapsman with crapsman tools any more or the same quality
examples of this their aviation snips and lineman pliers...

Geoff Barry
10-02-2011, 12:47 PM
The 22124 wasmade by Orion, a mfg with an excellent reputation. Overall, the 22124 was a very well-regarded 110v saw - it came with a bessemeyer commercial fence, a good blade, a usable quick-release guard, cabinet-,ounted trunnions, decent dust collection (sloped ramp inside the cabinet), etc.

Is it worth $500? It depends on the condition/blade, etc. I recently picked up a brand new, still-in-box 22124 for $450 (no mobile base, but brand-new Leitz blade). About 6 months before that, I saw a used one with a mobile base on CL for $650, and would have tried to get it for under $600 if I had had the cash at the time. So, in my view, if the blade is decent, and saw is in good shape (no rust, etc), then $500 probably is a good deal (and it never hurts to try for a little less). $500 unisaws sound great, but the only one I ever saw around here (Denver) at that price would have required a complete rehab, and I prefer to use my limited time for woodworking, not machinery restoration. But there was a good point raised above - I've seen used but workable unisaws for as low as $850, so if you're patient and have 220, then it may be worth waiting on one of those - more power, heavier build, and they retain their resale value. OTOH, you may need to get some sort of guard for them (most of the older ones I've seen didn't have a blade guard anymore), which raises the cost, as well as a new blade.

I'm a renter, so 220 was not an option. I thought about getting an old unisaw and swapping in a 110 motor, but the costs really start rising. In the world of 110v cabinet saws, the 22124 was king, so for me, it has worked out just great :)

Kevin Gregoire
10-02-2011, 1:09 PM
my 22124 was the first big tool purchase i made a few years back when i was starting to fill my shop.
i paid $600 but it was like new and came with extra blades and inserts, manuals and original miter gauge.
i really like my saw and it works great and the bies fence is awesome! obviously i havent tried other saws
but i love what i have.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ln7d3o.jpg

Myk Rian
10-02-2011, 3:51 PM
I have the Steel City brother to the saw, and love it. Bought it new.
I would ask $500 for mine.