PDA

View Full Version : Am needing basic first step instructions

Ken Shea
09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
The laser (Typical Chinese with Leetro MPC6535) is set up with Power/Earth Ground/Chiller/air etc. The Problem.... Laser will not fire when pressing laser button. Am in contact with Mfg but numerous emails always end up back to beginning and getting nowhere. They are genuinely trying to be helpful but it is that language thing going on, so though I'd post here and ask. Could be I am not setting up the necessary keypad settings or pushing the right keys at the right time. Could someone give the initial steps in sequence and settings needed from the Laser Keypad to simply fire the laser to test/adjust alignment. Thanks Ken

Rodne Gold
09-30-2011, 12:27 PM
You have to have the chiller on and some water flow , there is a sensor.
Some also have a safety switch wired to the lid so that the laser wont fire if it is lifted. See that none of these are active.
Otherwise firing should happen when you press the button.
A few things to look at/for
It wont fire if the power you using is less than 15% , check the setting for max power too
The tube is broken or the power supply is blown or its fuse it blown (check the fan and possibly light come on on the laser tubes powersupply) - tube should glow purple when firing.
if you have not done the grounding via an earth spike or have bad grounds

George M. Perzel
09-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Ken;
Laser should fire without any software/computer hooked up. Check laser power supply input power-don't try to check power supply output.Does laser have separate power switches for control and laser power? Are they both on? Do laser mechanicals initialize properly when turned on? LCD display reads? Does tube light up if laser fire button is held on?
Call me at 585-924-4519 if you need to discuss.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Ken Shea
09-30-2011, 1:11 PM
There is water flow and you can hear the switch if you stop the flow, I.E. pinch off the supply.
Will need to check but believe I set power at 25%
Not sure where or how to see or set the Max Power.
The Laser PS fan does come on but see no light on it nor external fuse.
The Laser does momentarily fire when the switch key is turned on and usually also when it is turned off. (Mfg indicated that is normal, not sure about being a good thing but apparently normal for this laser.
The Earth ground is attached to the Power Supply, is that correct?

Can't help but believe it some simple thing that I am overlooking as it was function tested at the factory, supposedly and appears to have been by some discoloration on the output tube.

Thanks for the input
Ken

You have to have the chiller on and some water flow , there is a sensor.
Some also have a safety switch wired to the lid so that the laser wont fire if it is lifted. See that none of these are active.
Otherwise firing should happen when you press the button.
A few things to look at/for
It wont fire if the power you using is less than 15% , check the setting for max power too
The tube is broken or the power supply is blown or its fuse it blown (check the fan and possibly light come on on the laser tubes powersupply) - tube should glow purple when firing.
if you have not done the grounding via an earth spike or have bad grounds

Ken Shea
09-30-2011, 1:18 PM
George,
The LCD display lights up, initializes and the rails move to home position.
The only time you see the laser fire is when the switch key is turned on and off.
The laser does not fire when the laser button is held on.

Thanks and may call if my wheels continue to spin..

Ken

Ken;
Laser should fire without any software/computer hooked up. Check laser power supply input power-don't try to check power supply output.Does laser have separate power switches for control and laser power? Are they both on? Do laser mechanicals initialize properly when turned on? LCD display reads? Does tube light up if laser fire button is held on?
Call me at 585-924-4519 if you need to discuss.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

George M. Perzel
09-30-2011, 4:39 PM
Ken;
What software are you using? LaserWork,LaserCut, etc.? What version?
Max power can be set by keypad on some machines or in software, or both. Does keypad have Max/Min Power buttons?
Weird that Laser fires on startup and shut down-don't like that.
Can you run a simple job-engrave or cut a small square?

Ken Shea
09-30-2011, 5:03 PM
It uses LaserCut 5.3 George.
Do not see any Max/Min power and I have been pretty much through all the keypad menus, I think :)
I did not like the laser firing on key on and key off either.

Haven't tried an actual program, have loaded LC to see what is going on but did not create any actual program to use.
The LC software is also on a lap top, I'll try and figure out a simple anything and see if it burns using that, I know not a single setting will be right but don't think it will need to engrave or cut well just to see if the laser functions at all via a program.

Is the earth ground connected to the laser PS ok? or should it be on the frame.

Thanks
Ken

Ken Shea
09-30-2011, 7:14 PM
Think I am getting too old for this, I can remember when learning curves were enjoyable. :mad:

Rodne Gold
09-30-2011, 11:57 PM
You have done the drill the spike into the floor ground?

Ian Franks
10-01-2011, 2:07 AM
Is your blower/extractor switched on, we need to do this to test the laser.

George M. Perzel
10-01-2011, 3:52 AM
Ken;
Earth ground should be connected to frame and frame to AC ground, which should also be the same as your building ground.
Power supply should have three input connections labeled AC,AC, and FG. FG should be connected to frame ground.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Ken Shea
10-01-2011, 9:58 AM
Rodne,
Yes, but not through the floor, ran a wire outside to a copper grounding rod.
The concrete is very thick and very hard, used to be a truck stop decades ago.

You have done the drill the spike into the floor ground?

Ken Shea
10-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Ian,
The blower has not been switched on as yet, have to get a correct plug.
I don't believe that is a requirement though, or have never read of it in the manual that came with this unit, which of course is not the same thing. It is well written enough just no substance to it.

Thanks
Ken

Ken Shea
10-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks George
Easy enough to make that change.

Ken Shea
10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Did download a test program to the Laser successfully, it goes through all the proper mechanical motions but no laser function.

Ken Shea
10-01-2011, 1:14 PM
Making some progress, the laser was set to 20% power, nothing......set it above 20% and it now works. Been the trouble all along and the factory never said peep about this.

Question,
There seems to be three places to set the power
1) Under program control
2) From the Menu"Laser Set"
3) From the display showing
File
Speed
Power xx / xx
Pieces xxx Del

Which/When and/or how do these come into play?

Thank much
Ken

Rodne Gold
10-01-2011, 10:31 PM
good to see you got it working . Initial or main Values will be written to the motherboard via software or lcd panel
The prime way with a puter attached is to read the values from the motherboard and then to write em , you will probaqbly use something like "vendor settings" and a password to do so in your software.
Without software , you can use the lcd panel to set parameters like max and min power etc.
You can then use the software to set values for processing within these parameters, the software will not override what is written to the motherboard and will default to main parameters if you out of bounds. For eg , if the mainboard has 95% max power as the default , if you set max power to 99% for cutting , it will default to 95%.

Ken Shea
10-01-2011, 10:57 PM
A lot of new was going on and it was confusing to say the least.
Re-read the manual and it is starting to make more sense the more I read.

I know the table is not level so think I have learned enough now to get on with the detailed mechanical setup so as those errors are not introduced while using the laser, already confused enough :D

Rodne Gold
10-01-2011, 11:17 PM
The table is not level with the floor or with the x/y axes?

Ken Shea
10-01-2011, 11:23 PM
The entire machine is not quite level since it is still on the rollers but the floor is not that bad off level. I could put the leveling pads on but I like the ability to move it around. The big issue is the table is not level with either Axis, level may not be the correct word, maybe parallel would be a better word.

Rodne Gold
10-02-2011, 1:37 AM
The only thing that would matter is that the head is the same distance from the table surface at all points on the table , ie that focal distance does not change at any point. if the edge of the table is not parallel to the x or y bearing rails is not that important.

Ken Shea
10-02-2011, 7:26 PM
That was what I was referring to Rodne.