PDA

View Full Version : glass for tall case clock

lou sansone
02-26-2005, 6:41 PM
hello fellow ww's
I am currently working on a tall case clock ( some may prefere to call it a Grandfathers clock ) that is a loose copy of one from the 18th century that has an arched painted dial. I was wondering if any creeker has built one and if so what type of glass did they use. Here are the choices :

1. High quality UV filtering picture glass
2. Regular Picture glass
3. Reproduction hand blown glass that has some distortion to it.
4. something I haven't thought of

The door is arched as are the side lites. I have built arched clock doors before and cutting the glass it trickey ( last time it took about 3 sheets before I got it right ) . The reproduction glass will cost 60 bucks a sheet so I am a little worried about the cost, but the end product is more important.

comments welcomed, I am open to your recommendations
thanks
lou

Cecil Arnold
02-26-2005, 6:58 PM
Being a cheapskate, I would rabbit out the back of the door so I could use a rectangle of glass if possible, depending on the hight of the door arch.

Jim Becker
02-26-2005, 7:12 PM
Ceil's advice is good on the shape. I vote for the reproduction glass as I do believe it will set off the piece much better than just ordinary glass.

Mike Forsman
02-26-2005, 7:33 PM
If you are really intent on an arched top for the glass, then check around for a stained glass store in your area. Depending upon the radius of the arched top, someone that does stained glass for a living or as a hobby may be able to do a freehand cut for you without any problem. If the radius is too tight, they may have or know a customer that has a diamond blade ring saw (gave one of these to LOML last year since her hobby is stained glass) or a diamond blade bandsaw. Either of these is capable of cutting an arched top for your glass. I believe that the reproduction hand blown glass would be the best choice for your project.

Herb Blair
02-26-2005, 7:35 PM
I have built several clocks ranging from tall clocks to mantle clocks. I did a couple a few years back using antique window glass. It has natural distortions in it. Not sure if I would want to do it again though. It was hard to find, expensive, and the recipient didn't really care if it was antique glass. I did one that was pretty impressive though. I used regular window glass and sand blasted a design on it.

Richard Wolf
02-26-2005, 8:26 PM
There is a big difference between stained glass and antique reproduction glass. If the panel is large, which I assume it is, stained glass will not hold up to the slightest of abuse. One hard close of the door and it will shatter. I was going to use it in some reproduction cabnits until a stained glass store set me straight.

Richard

Mike Forsman
02-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Just to make sure, I wasn't suggesting to use stained glass. However, people that build stained glass have the know how and tools to cut an arched top in a large single sheet of glass.

Carl Eyman
02-27-2005, 8:59 AM
Lou: I finished one last fall and faced the same problem. I went to a clock afficianafos' forum and got lots of advice about antique glass, not to use beveled glass (not authentic), and ended up going to local glass shop. He showed me how to modify rabbet so he could cut glass. He cut the glass, siliconed it in place, and cleaned the glass all for $10.50. It turned out to be good choice, because the beautiful handpainted face the recipient chose would have been downgraded by anything but the clearest pane. I'm sorry I don't hgave a picture available just now that shows the face. (will have shortly) but here is a picture of the clock showing shape of the door. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13231

Please post pictures of your clock.

Glenn Palhof
04-03-2005, 8:32 PM
HI Lou
I do a lot of restorations cutting glass for antique clocks. we cut circles,trapizoids,rectangles,gothic, shapes.We have old glass and the clock people will bring in their glass. some are paper thin.usually the glass has stress lines. this is because the glass is utectic"not solid not liquid"Old glass will be thicker at the bottom then the top.With antique clocks the install is as origional as possible. the wooden clocks usually have a reveal to allow the glass to fit into.Clocks are instruments and are usually kept with care.I would suggest find some old house window glass and have that cut to a pattern you would make from poster board.Install and set with thin wood.100 years from now you will have an antique .
glann palhof

Rob Millard
04-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Lou,

I have made a number of clocks ( both tall case and shelf) and I have used hand blown and reproduction glass. The hand blown glass was far too distorted and distracted from the look. The light restoration glass sold by Bendheim glass was a perfect choice. It has the seeds and waves of old glass, but not to the point of distracting from the dial. Bendheim has a website. The glass is available in large sheets (I purchased mine this way) or cut to size, although I doubt they would cut it to the shape of a clock door. The glass was very easy to cut, so this will present no problem.
Rob Millard

lou sansone
04-04-2005, 8:22 AM
Lou,

I have made a number of clocks ( both tall case and shelf) and I have used hand blown and reproduction glass. The hand blown glass was far too distorted and distracted from the look. The light restoration glass sold by Bendheim glass was a perfect choice. It has the seeds and waves of old glass, but not to the point of distracting from the dial. Bendheim has a website. The glass is available in large sheets (I purchased mine this way) or cut to size, although I doubt they would cut it to the shape of a clock door. The glass was very easy to cut, so this will present no problem.
Rob Millard

hi rob

I was waiting for you to respond, and I figured that you would point me in that direction. I have been to the bendheim site and have seen their products.. I was also thinking that the handblown would be too distorted and detract as you indicate. I was thinking that the "light restoration " would be the right choice. Thanks for confirming that to me. How do you handle glazing the glass. I have in the past used glazing putty that I tinted with japan colors, what have you done and which method seems the best.

regards
lou

Rob Millard
04-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Lou,

I too use glazing putty. I tint mine with earth pigments, and I add a little linseed oil to improve the workability.

PS I liked you knife box in curly maple.

Rob Millard

David Fried
04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Lou,

I have some interesting glass in my front door. Its made by taking two sheets of green tinted glass and sandwiching pieces of white glass in the middle. This is then put in an oven, tilted at a angle. The white glass melts and runs as the two sheet of green glass fuse together.

I picked up the glass at a small place that does stained glass but, as I recall, they had a lot of unusual glass and were able to cut/prepare/get just about anything. They are out on route 6 in Brooklyn.

If they are of interest to you, let me know and I'll dig out their business card. ( I need to get some replacement glass to repair baseball damage, anyway).

Dave Fried

lou sansone
04-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Lou,

I too use glazing putty. I tint mine with earth pigments, and I add a little linseed oil to improve the workability.

PS I liked you knife box in curly maple.

Rob Millard

thanks for the complement on the knife box.. I am not sure if you have tried to build one, but they are pretty trickey to put together.

lou