PDA

View Full Version : Deer antler

kevin nee
09-30-2011, 8:02 AM
I am going to make a Bullet Pen for a relative (big time hunter)
Last night I glued a tube into a piece of antler. This is my first
deer antler project. WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST FOR A FINISH?
Thanks in advance Kevin

Dale Winburn
09-30-2011, 8:24 AM
I just completed a deer antler pen. I sanded to 1000 then used auto polish then buffed, no other finish, it looks good.

Regards,
Dale

Keith E Byrd
09-30-2011, 8:35 AM
I just finished my first antler pen - see new post Two Pen Firsts - because it can have some open pores inside I used CA and micromesh to 12000 and ren wax

Lee Koepke
09-30-2011, 8:38 AM
I didnt use any finish either. I used my Micromesh pads through 12000, a little Ren Wax, thats it. The 'bone' products will polish out quite nicely without any finish. From what I have read, antler is a 'living tissue' so it may still move a bit and your oils from your hand keep it from cracking later down the road .... got that info from searches on the IAP website.

BTW, it smeellllsss !!!! wear your respirator and a fan and open your doors ... haha

Tim Leiter
09-30-2011, 8:39 AM
As far as drilling is concerned I try to drill so as to have some of the detail of the outside of the antler showing after turning. They are more pleasing to the eye and sell much better if you can get some of the out side "ribs" to show. More interesting than just the plain off white/ivory colors. JMO.

I sand to 600 with Finkat paper (white in color) then to 12000 with micromesh. Then I use 3-4 coats of Shellawax friction polish. Looks very good and as far as I know it lasts.
Tim.http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/timsturnings/th_Bulletpen2-1.jpg?t=1312933379 (http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/timsturnings/?action=view&current=Bulletpen2-1.jpg)

James Combs
09-30-2011, 1:42 PM
I didnt use any finish either. I used my Micromesh pads through 12000, a little Ren Wax, thats it. The 'bone' products will polish out quite nicely without any finish. From what I have read, antler is a 'living tissue' so it may still move a bit and your oils from your hand keep it from cracking later down the road .... got that info from searches on the IAP website.

BTW, it smeellllsss !!!! wear your respirator and a fan and open your doors ... haha

I have always coated mine with CA but a lot less then wood. Having read Lee's post I may have to do some of my own research and possibly change my methods.