PDA

View Full Version : Acacia hf

Kathy Marshall
09-30-2011, 1:39 AM
This hf was turned from a piece of the acacia, probably willow acacia, that I got a couple of weeks ago. This wood is hard but cuts nice with very sharp tools, but dulls the tools quickly and also wears out sandpaper pretty quick.
It's got a beautiful dark heartwood which is hard to see the grain and color in the pics, I'll try for better pics after the finish is complete.
The hf is 4" tall (7" with black finial) x 3 1/2" wide with a walnut collar. Finish is BLO followed by a couple coats of shellac, sanded back and then about 6 coats of WOP. I may add a couple more coats of WOP and then buff after it's cured.
It's been quite a while since I've turned a finial. Both finials were turned from the same pen blank from Woodworkers Source $.50 bin (can't remember what it's called), great finial material, very fine grained and cuts beautifully.
The blank finial was the original. It could be a little thinner and the details at the base may be a little too much, but the overall form, and the bulb in particular make this one of my better ones (my Thompson 1/4" detail gouge worked very well for this). Dyed with black Rit dye then a few coats of spray lacquer.
When I turned off the black finial, I still had a couple inches left of the blank, so I turned the Keith Burns style finial. Finished with some dark walnut DO to darken it a little, then sanded back (a little too much), then some Mylands friction polish and Ren wax.
I think I prefer the black one. The 2nd one should have been longer (not enough length on the blank) and should have more taper. I may try a 3rd finial this weekend.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Tom Winship
09-30-2011, 8:39 AM
Great work as usual Kathy. I like the first finial better. But that's just me.

Bill Bolen
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Pretty piece Kathy. Finials can be great fun to turn and quite exasperating at the same time. I like both of these but I think the darker color fits the wood a bit better. Just me and nothing wrong with either one.