PDA

View Full Version : 2 little gloats.

Brian Kent
09-29-2011, 11:52 PM
My current project called for some cutting on a partially assembled table. Therefore I "need" the Veritas carcass saws. Since CraftsmanStudio now carries these (at a good price / no shipping costs:D), it gave me an excuse to spend at my favorite local tool store.

The saws cut cleaner than I do, and helped me improve on each cut instead of frustrating me like my other unsharp saws.

I love them and look forward to buying either one of the Veritas Dovetail saws as a companion.

Brian

Jim Neeley
09-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Nice saws, Brian :)

george wilson
09-30-2011, 7:14 AM
I like the way the saws are curved on their back edges.

Chris Griggs
09-30-2011, 7:50 AM
A properly set and sharpened saw is a dream to use. Yes, it will saw better than most people can. Those LV saws seem like such a steel. Congrats - Nice gloat.

Chris Griggs
09-30-2011, 7:53 AM
BTW - 2 questions

1) What's the current project?
2) Is that a hayrake stretcher table I see under the current project? Did you make it? Very cool...

Brian Kent
09-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Chris, the current project is an outdoor dining table.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170717-Building-an-Outdoor-Sunburst-Dining-Table

The base is a hayrake stretcher table modified from the Fine Woodworking site. The top is modified from a sunburst patio table plan. Both plans had elements that I had never tried before and they look like they will go well together.

Thanks for asking.

Chris Griggs
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Chris, the current project is an outdoor dining table.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170717-Building-an-Outdoor-Sunburst-Dining-Table

The base is a hayrake stretcher table modified from the Fine Woodworking site. The top is modified from a sunburst patio table plan. Both plans had elements that I had never tried before and they look like they will go well together.

Thanks for asking.

Wow! Cool project.... Thanks for the link to it. I rarely check out any of the forums other than here in Neanderville and also the Classifieds. Guess I should start lurking in the the Projects forum too.

Eugenio Musto
09-30-2011, 11:37 AM
I have the two carcass too.Amazing saw, expecially the crosscut one.I'm only waiting for the Tenon Saw

Scott Vanzo
10-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Brian-

Nice saws.

I spent one half hour at Craftsman Studio last July. Awesome store. So clean, and everything top shelf. Bill is a great proprietor. I would have spent several hours ogling and trying the tools he has, but my business trip left me with limited time to go to his store, and Bill had a doctor's appointment that day. Otherwise he said he would have stayed longer. I only go from Los Angeles to San Diego once per year, so next July Bill can probably expect another visit. Your both lucky and cursed to have such a quality store within reach.

I am more of an old-tools type of guy; the shiny new stuff seems too good for me - but I have a few new things: One 3/8" Lie Nielsen chisel, and a Veritas 20 TPI Dovetail and Veritas Crosscut saw. The chisel was my first "$55" chisel, but is really a work of art. The Dovetail and Crosscut are super easy to start, and leave a superb finish. I have the 14 TPI Dovetail already ordered for thicker stock, and from there I will consider the Carcass saws. My 14" Disston backsaws are likely to get jealous as I tread further down the slippery slope.

The only thing I wish is that my Veritas Crosscut had a slightly more polished blade to check for square. I can see the reflection all right, but not as clearly as my aging eyes can hope for. I'll probably just buff it up a bit and all will be well...