PDA

View Full Version : Myrtlewood HF

Scott Hackler
09-29-2011, 11:08 PM
This is the first item that I have turned using my new Carter Hollow Roller that I won in the Beauty and the Beast contest on WoodturnersAmerica.com. It was interesting to be able to use a laser to gauge my wall thickness. This one got pretty thin (probably too thin) at under 1/16" in most of the wall. I didn't realize it was that thin until I stopped the lathe and could see the light through the walls! Anyway, the Carter system is a pretty decent hollowing rig and with a lot more practice, its going to be easier to produce the thin walled stuff I like to turn... just no stinking calipers to slow me down!

Myrtlewood, 3 1/2" wide x 5 1/2" tall, less than 1/16" thick except for the bottom which is about 1/2"
Finished with BLO, 4 coats of lacquer and REN wax.

Comments and critiques are always encouraged!

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2011, 11:44 PM
That is a beauty Scott. I really like that wood and color.

Ed Morgano
09-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Scott,
Very nice. I love the shape, the wood and I love lasers! They really make life a lot easier.

Kathy Marshall
09-30-2011, 1:55 AM
Looks great Scott! and that's some nice wood too!
For my Jamieson hollower it came with a gauge to set the laser. Basically, it's a credit card blank with 1 line going through the middle crossways, then another line going lengthwise 1/8" from the edge. The intersection where they meet is where to set the laser. Place the card against the cutter angled so the long line would be parallel to the side of the form you're working on, then set the laser dot to hit the cross hair where the 2 lines meet or adjust it in closer for narrower walls. While you're hollowing, when the dot gets close to the edge of the piece, then you start the finish cuts and when the dot drops off the piece, you are at your finished thickness, and don't forget to adjust the laser for changes in the outside curve.

charlie knighton
09-30-2011, 9:34 AM
pretty piece Scott, mytlewood is a joy to cut, like maple with no tearout, nice grain

Doug W Swanson
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Nice piece, Scott. I may have to find some of that myrtlewood!

steven carter
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Very nice Scott, definately a keeper! Beautiful grain, and the form is spot on.