PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Corel Issues

Jeff Belany
09-29-2011, 4:21 PM
Corel has been doing a couple things that aren't that big a deal but very irritating. Thought I'd ask some of you pros out there.

1 -- Is there any way to make Corel go to the same folder each time you click on Open? Mine goes to my Corel folder about 75% of the time and back to the main Documents folder the rest of the time. Sometimes it will go for days without doing this but other times it will do it every other time I open a file.

2 -- Take a look at the attched file (X4 & V10) and see if you can fill all the pieces with black. I can do some but others will not fill with any color even though the bottom right says the space has a fill. I even tried Smart fill which will fill some but then crashes Corel trying to do the last couple (tried this more than once). I know this isn't a big deal and I assume I'm just having a senior moment but little things can drive me nuts.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Ron Chapellaz
09-29-2011, 5:00 PM
Jeff for question number 2, I took a quick look and noticed that your curves are not closed which is why you can't get a fill done on it. I tried the close curve button but you have some extra nodes jumping across which won't help in getting a solid fill. I wish I had more time to look at it, but I'm on my way out the door. hopefully this helps you out some. Maybe someone here could delete the extra nodes for him??

Martin Boekers
09-29-2011, 5:05 PM
Not sure but I think Corel always goes to the last folder you used.

Don't know if there is a way to force it to go to the same on or not.

Mike Mackenzie
09-29-2011, 5:16 PM
Here is the turtle filled

Robert Farrell
09-29-2011, 6:36 PM
Jeff, you have open paths that needs to be closed. I think you should re-draw with the bezier tool,then you will be sure the paths are closed.

Tony Lenkic
09-29-2011, 9:04 PM
As mentioned you have open paths. Here is all closed, top outlines bottom filled.

Jeff Belany
09-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys. I should have seen that. Like I said, a senior moment. BTW, when do the "Golden Years" start??

My Corel does not go to the last folder all the time. I can open one file and a minute later open a second and Corel will go to a different directory.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

PS: Yesterday had gale force winds and the first report of snow flurries in the area.

Scott Challoner
09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
PS: Yesterday had gale force winds and the first report of snow flurries in the area.

Don't say that! I'm heading up to Minoqua this afternoon to go Musky fishing for the weekend. Although I'll still be a couple of hours south of you, I hope these winds die down.

Art Anderson
10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Another small quirk that just came up on a nametag job was off-centering of text when using print merge. I centered the outside cutline, centered the <name> field, ran the tags only to find they were right-of-center by about six points. When I purposely moved the field center to the left by the same amount, they were fine. Anybody know why? Using X3.

Lee DeRaud
10-01-2011, 3:18 AM
Another small quirk that just came up on a nametag job was off-centering of text when using print merge. I centered the outside cutline, centered the <name> field, ran the tags only to find they were right-of-center by about six points. When I purposely moved the field center to the left by the same amount, they were fine. Anybody know why? Using X3.Corel has some issues (at least as of X4) with centering text, (probably?) due to offset bounding box metrics in TrueType fonts. Translation: the bounding box of a text string isn't necessarily centered on the visible text. Worse, the offset can change from font to font and string to string. (A strong case can be made that it's a Windows/font problem rather than a Corel problem, but that isn't particularly helpful.)

An easy fix is to convert text to curves and re-center, but obviously you can't do that when using print merge.

Lee DeRaud
10-01-2011, 3:32 AM
Not sure but I think Corel always goes to the last folder you used.Appears to be true, although I'm starting to think "last folder" is independent for 'open' and 'save as' (and possibly 'import' and 'export' as well), which can make its behavior appear random if you're a bit sleep-deprived.

What is extremely annoying is if that last folder it's looking for happens to be on a network drive that isn't accessible at the moment (e.g. the computer downstairs went to sleep), as it will lock up solid for a ridiculous length of time before finally giving up and whining about it.

Martin Boekers
10-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Lee,

you have the same experience I do with this! In PS they have an option that you can pick one of a handfulf of recent folder
when You go to "Open" or "Save as" don't know if there is a way in Corel to sent a folder as a defualt.

Art,

I know this may not be the case for your project, but I thought I'd toss it out for future reference. With my Epilog, if I am
doing a bunch of work that creates a bunch of dust sometimes the gears in the X-Axis motor gets clogged. This can cause misregistration
between raster and vector cutting. It's an easy fix, take the X-Axis motor out and I use a pin to remove the dust from the gears.

Lee DeRaud
10-01-2011, 2:40 PM
I thought I remembered that we beat this text-centering thing to death awhile back...here it is:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132032-I-knew-I-wasn-t-crazy-Corel-text-center-isn-t-accurate..-How-do-I-fix (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132032-I-knew-I-wasn-t-crazy-Corel-text-center-isn-t-accurate..-How-do-I-fix&p=1335934&highlight=#post1335934)

Art Anderson
10-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry, Lee: Didn't mean to rehash old news.

Lee DeRaud
10-02-2011, 1:44 AM
Sorry, Lee: Didn't mean to rehash old news.No worries, I just provided the link as background for those encountering this pseudo-bug for the first time.