PDA

View Full Version : First things First

Roger Chandler
09-29-2011, 2:53 PM
I have had precious little time lately to even think about turning wood.........I have a pile that I NEED to get to...........

On Monday.........I begin taking care of something that has been needing done for at least 3 years [actually longer :o ].......just making myself take the time to do it ....................all new siding and a new roof, and guttering on my little 14 x 20 shop building. Then I need to get to the one behind it as well........when I get that one done, I am going to build some shelves in it, and put a lot of wood blanks in it!

This thing has been grieving me with all that water damage..........I have a short window to get it done.....materials are in the driveway, and I have a guy hired to help me for 3 or 4 days come Monday.....

I am using T1-11 siding to replace what is there, and of course new shingles with 30 lb. roof felt underneath, and drip edge all around........I will likely hire out the gutter and down spouts to a gutter contractor. I am also going to dig a 12 inch trench around the outside edges, and fill with 3/4 " gravel to help reduce splash back on the building. This old shed is about to get a new life! Then, maybe I can get some turning time in.......although, archery season opens this Saturday............hummmmm.............maybe turning wood can wait a bit longer! ;):D

Tom Winship
09-29-2011, 3:34 PM
That pile of wood is just going to get in the way, Roger. If it weren't so far..........

Tony De Masi
09-29-2011, 4:52 PM
I hate when things like that get in the way of turning time. Any yes, Saturday is opening day so morning time will be in the woods.

Chris Burgess
09-29-2011, 5:07 PM
Well I can relate. My stack of wood is not as impressive and my shop is not as bad but both need attention that they are not getting. My advise would by Hardy siding on the shop so you never have to worry with it again. That is the route I will take when the funds show themselves to an overhaul.

Curt Fuller
09-29-2011, 6:11 PM
Before you buy your T1-11, you should consider this Hardiboard siding http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products_siding_hardiepanelSiding.py It's good stuff, and considering the moisture and related rot problems you've had in those pics it might save you from residing again in a few years. It's good stuff.

Roger Chandler
09-29-2011, 8:06 PM
Too late Curt.......already purchased the T1-11............I was after fast as far as installation...........I will just have to keep it well painted.........should not be a problem. The original siding was an OSB wafer type...........and when the building was purchased almost 19 years ago, they told me it was 25 year siding..........they had a lot of these buildings made by this particular company with this issue, after a few years, and a number of unhappy customers...........turned out it was an experimental finish on it, and it wasn't worth a hoot. The building only had a 1 year warranty with it............so, it is what it is.

Roger Chandler
10-01-2011, 9:08 PM
Hoping the weather co-operates! Yesterday they were calling for sunny skies next week..........now we have a stubborn cold front that has stalled over the area, and the weather channel is calling for rain Monday & Tuesday........it has been like a monsoon season here in the mid-atlantic the last 6 weeks........ground saturated, high humidity most days and I am ready for some dry weather!

Accu-weather calls for mostly cloudy on Monday and sunny on Tuesday & Wednesday [as of now.....don't really know how accurate Accu-weather really is! :D] I'm hoping to get this project finished in 3 days.........but I have to be able to get it started, before I can finish it!

Rain, Rain, go away!

Roger Chandler
10-01-2011, 9:10 PM
I hate when things like that get in the way of turning time. Any yes, Saturday is opening day so morning time will be in the woods.

Tony,

I was so busy today, I did not even get to go out for opening day of archery............did you have any luck, or see anything?

Don McManus
10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Before you buy your T1-11, you should consider this Hardiboard siding http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products_siding_hardiepanelSiding.py \

But that hardie is soooo heavy in 4x8 sheets. The dust was a little insane too...I gotta find a pic that I have of me in a cloud of white cement dust.

I did a small shed with it. I hated every cut that required fitting, just because of the up and down with the sheets.

Held up real nice though! .....for the few years that I had the shed anyway.

I think t1-11 is a better deal, if you aren't staying 40+ years :)

Don

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Roger don't ya just hate it when things get in the road of turning?:D Sounds like it will be all good when done though.

Tony De Masi
10-02-2011, 1:46 PM
Just a few squirrels and a beautiful red fox. I lost my usual hunting spot after 12 years so I just hung out in the back part of my property.

Roger Chandler
10-02-2011, 3:13 PM
Roger don't ya just hate it when things get in the road of turning?:D Sounds like it will be all good when done though.

Hey Bernie.........I am itching to get another turning project started..........but now I gotta get the water stopped from coming in and ruining my tools.

If I had the room, I would like to add about 12 feet in width to that building.........but then I would have to dig a foundation, to meet code........I would be better off just building from the ground up...........that will happen when I either build or buy my next house!

Roger Chandler
10-02-2011, 3:15 PM
Just a few squirrels and a beautiful red fox. I lost my usual hunting spot after 12 years so I just hung out in the back part of my property.

Tony,

My friend who hunts the area I do said his son has heard the coyotes running the deer a lot lately...........big problem! I just hope one or two show themselves while I am deer hunting............I will take them out in short order! Way to many coyotes and too many bear in the area as well.

Deer are already so skiddish that when a leaf falls, they bolt....according to my friend, who is a very successful hunter.

Tony De Masi
10-02-2011, 7:11 PM
No coyotes here but plenty of black bear. And since the bear are in season as well one just never knows. Never taken a bear before though.

Jeff Nicol
10-02-2011, 7:44 PM
Roger, I know how it is with shop repairs and other things taking top billing in the daily grind. But I also feel your pain on not being out in the woods with a bow in hand! Our season opened two weeks ago and I have been out 3 times so far with yesterday morning being the best day so far. We had a nice hard frost and there was very little wind, so when the sun started to rise and warm things up the leaves were falling like rain, it was so noisy it was hard to tell what was critter sounds or not. The first deer in was a small 6pt just wandering through headed for the tall swamp grass to bed down, I first heard him when he was at 35yds, the next deer was a doe fawn that was right under me when it made a soft bleat, i was looking out at 10yds or so before it moved and I saw it right below me! Then right as I was getting ready to get down a little fork horn wandered in and stopped at the community licking branch, sniffed around and headed for the alfalfa field. So the deer will read the script for both you and Tony, just make time to be out in Gods country!

Have fun with the remodel and the hunt,

Jeff

Roger Chandler
10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I am chomping at the bit to get this project done, get in some time in the woods and get back to the lathe........of course, I have a long list of things to get done.............check 'em off one at a time! I got your email........my steady should be delivered on Tuesday.........looking forward to getting to try it out soon! Thanks!

Roger Chandler
10-03-2011, 3:48 PM
Today was a total washout.........rain all day.........hope to begin at 8:30 tomorrow morning. My helper brought his paint spray system by and some drop cloths for when we get to the painting. The weather forecast is calling for sunshine and warmer temps for the next few days...........sure hope it works out that way!

I am anxious to get back to the lathe!

Tony De Masi
10-03-2011, 5:26 PM
My steady should be here tomorrow as well................

Roger Chandler
10-03-2011, 7:40 PM
My steady should be here tomorrow as well................

They say great minds think alike.............well, I can't take credit.........Jeff has such a good reputation for his steady rests.......it was a no brainer! Mine is green............I guess yours is yellow!