PDA

View Full Version : Coffee grounds as filler

Chris Burgess
09-29-2011, 1:52 PM
I have a bowl w/ some wormy spots I want to fill. I wanted to use coffee grounds but dont have any brewed grounds. Do they have to be brewed and dry or can I just use unbrewed grounds? I have some nasy coffee I will never drink that I was going to use.

Thanks

Tony De Masi
09-29-2011, 2:07 PM
I use coffee grounds right from it's package, not brewed. I've used both epoxy and CA as the carrier with good results from both.

Mark Patoka
09-29-2011, 2:30 PM
The couple of times I've done it I took them straight from the can/bag. It's mixed with epoxy so doesn't really make a difference if it's been brewed. The fineness of the grind may be the only issue.

Doug W Swanson
09-29-2011, 3:09 PM
Straight from the bag/can is what I use. It was old coffee so I didn't mind using it for filler....

Tom Winship
09-29-2011, 3:36 PM
Chris, a guy up here used brass filings from a key maker. Looked great. Might want to keep that in mind.

Jim Burr
09-29-2011, 4:02 PM
You can get a jar of espresso powder...work very well since you can use it in crystal form or rub it between your fingers for a very fine powder.

Hilel Salomon
09-29-2011, 4:03 PM
I get the cheapest espresso around (there are a few Latin ones at Walmart) and mix it with epoxy or CA. The espresso grounds are very fine and sand and finish well.

James Combs
09-29-2011, 4:27 PM
If you really want the low down on coffee grounds as a filler you will want to read the definitive thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143490-Evaluation-of-various-coffees-used-as-fillers.&highlight=coffee+grounds) on the subject by David DeCristoforo. Just go here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143490-Evaluation-of-various-coffees-used-as-fillers.&highlight=coffee+grounds) to read about it.

Jon Nuckles
09-29-2011, 4:30 PM
Could someone post pics of their results when filling with coffee grounds? Thanks!

Chris Burgess
09-29-2011, 4:42 PM
If you really want the low down on coffee grounds as a filler you will want to read the definitive thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143490-Evaluation-of-various-coffees-used-as-fillers.&highlight=coffee+grounds) on the subject by David DeCristoforo. Just go here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143490-Evaluation-of-various-coffees-used-as-fillers.&highlight=coffee+grounds) to read about it.

Now that was some good readin.

Chris Burgess
09-29-2011, 4:43 PM
Thanks everyone. The coffee I have is from Africa ans is pretty fine.

I have the bowl shaped but not hollowed yet. Should I fill the holes now or wait til the bowl is done to do that?

Tony De Masi
09-29-2011, 4:47 PM
I would wait until you finish the inside first. I am going to guess that some of those worm holes will go all the way through so it will make it easier to fill them once you get to your desired thickness/thinness.

Chris Burgess
09-29-2011, 4:52 PM
I would wait until you finish the inside first. I am going to guess that some of those worm holes will go all the way through so it will make it easier to fill them once you get to your desired thickness/thinness.

Yea the worms went deep. While I was turning one shot out and slammed into my faceshield. I though had been pooed on by an Eagle

Curt Fuller
09-29-2011, 6:24 PM
Chris, a guy up here used brass filings from a key maker. Looked great. Might want to keep that in mind.

And, mixing in some brass filings with the ground coffee looks sharp too.

A little coffee goes a long way in filling holes and cracks. I've got a small can of the cheapest Kroger stuff on my workbench that I've been using for years and it's still almost full.

ray hampton
09-29-2011, 11:32 PM
will instant coffee work as a hole filler ?

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2011, 11:40 PM
will instant coffee work as a hole filler ?

I use instant coffee and epoxy. Sometimes I throw in a dab of brass filings. As was said it can enhance it a lot.

ray hampton
09-30-2011, 12:17 AM
If you do not have brass powder, can you use either brass or copper scouring pads, the type without soap in them, cut up real fine

Chris Burgess
09-30-2011, 1:34 AM
hmmm brass keeps getting mentioned. Where ohh where do you get Brass Shavings. Should I take a hacksaw to one of my pen tubes?

Noah Barfield
09-30-2011, 2:07 AM
hmmm brass keeps getting mentioned. Where ohh where do you get Brass Shavings. Should I take a hacksaw to one of my pen tubes?

I'd check your local hardware store and talk to the person who grinds keys. I'd be willing to be they would let you have all of the brass shavings you'd want for free.

Noah

Randy Gleckler
09-30-2011, 8:59 AM
I think spending an hour 1 morning asking at the local big box hardware stores, I ended up with a jar bigger than my coffee jar. Just make sure you run a magnet through it and pull out any bigger pieces so you don't try and turn any of the pieces from the grinding wheel, not good for your tools.

Lee Koepke
09-30-2011, 9:27 AM
Someone asked for a picture ....

After I turned the inside, the upper right part of the void was only being held on by the tape on the outside! I crushed/ground up coffee first using my ball peen hammer, mixed it with Thin CA, then I used straight coffee grounds on top and Medium CA to give it a complementary 'texture'. You'd be hard pressed to see it, even in person.....

I have 'patched' holes in a cherry burl pen where a punky piece came out, my wife wouldnt have ever known!!! (its her pen)

Russell Neyman
09-30-2011, 1:57 PM
Yea the worms went deep. While I was turning one shot out and slammed into my faceshield. I though had been pooed on by an Eagle

My son brought me a Mesquite root ball, asking me if I could turn something with it. He brought it to Seattle from Northern California in a trash bag as carry-on luggage. Well, I was reluctant but said I'd give it a try, and got to turning. At some point it became evident that termites had gotten to it, but it was beginning to look nice. To fill in one small void at the bottom I mixed some black dye and two-part epoxy, and filled that spot in. Suddenly, the epoxy started wiggling and flopping all around, as the living worms came swarming out. Bowl turned out okay, but ever since one of the first things I do is dump a little bug killer in it and then put it in the freezer for several days to kill the varmints.

Whenever I can, I mix home-made filler (bark shavings and sawdust work best and look the most like natural figuring) with shellac because it has a more believable appearance.

Curt Fuller
09-30-2011, 4:49 PM
Take a baggy into Lowes or Home Depot or anywhere else that has a key making machine and just ask them to empty the little drawer that catches the filings. You get a few goofy looks but that's where I get mine.