PDA

View Full Version : No hands radial arm saw

Rick Potter
09-29-2011, 1:33 PM
I thought this video was interesting. You tube......radial arm saw........"look ma no hands".

I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but it is interesting how it shows that the RAS certainly holds the work to the fence, and even kinda self centers it if you don't have it all the way to the fence. The key here is to have a zero clearance fence on the RAS.

I actually tried it on mine. Same results. I could get down to about a quarter inch wide stock before it would not hold itself on center.

Disclaimer: Like I said, interesting and enlightening experiment, obviously not the way you would actually use the saw.

Rick Potter

HANK METZ
09-29-2011, 1:46 PM
If it was this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS66S70j2oo
Impressive, yes! This guy was showing how accurate it can be if properly setup. I did notice one piece had a burn mark on the right side, I suspect it was probably due more to a spot of tension wood rather than a heeling condition, as the rest of the offcuts looked fine. Of course it has a Forrest blade, which no doubt helps.

Rick Potter
09-29-2011, 6:01 PM
That's the one, Hank.

I also suspect the board had some tension around that knot, giving the burn. It's neat to watch. Even better is finding out my RAS does just as well.

Rick Potter