PDA

View Full Version : Question - Jet JP combo

Regis Galbach
09-29-2011, 1:12 PM
I'm considering the Jet 8 or 10 inch jointer planer combo. Does anyone know if the planer has a carriage lock? I've read good and poor reviews but, even though I need to go small (and well within my budget), I do need consistancy. I can live with slow and a little less convenient but space is big deal for me.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Regis

David Kumm
09-29-2011, 5:05 PM
Not an answer but look for a used inca as well. Good 10" J-P small footprint. Dave

Jeff Monson
09-29-2011, 5:21 PM
Regis, have you looked at the Hammer line? They make a wonderful combo machine.

David Hostetler
09-29-2011, 6:02 PM
I don't think the Jet uses a carriage / cutter head lock. From the reviews I have seen of this machine, quality control is extremely spotty. The issues are typically table alignment, and lack of adjustability. IF Jet can get the QC problems worked out and start building these things where you don't need to return 2 or 3 to get a good one, then these might be just the ticket for space cramped shops...

Rod Sheridan
09-29-2011, 7:04 PM
Hammer/Felder USA are having an incredible sale on the A3-26/31/41 jointer/planers...........Rod

jonathan eagle
09-29-2011, 8:05 PM
Regis,
It would be good to post the model numbers you are interested in, as there are more than one type.
There is the "smaller" one and then the much larger model.
A specific model number will help people stay focused on your question.
Jonathan

Cary Falk
09-29-2011, 9:45 PM
I don't know if it has a carriage lock. I just wanted to add that I bought an old Delta scroll saw from someone that had a 10" Jet. He hated it and said he couldn't wait to get rid of it. He said it was a toy.

Regis Galbach
09-29-2011, 9:53 PM
Regis,
It would be good to post the model numbers you are interested in, as there are more than one type.
There is the "smaller" one and then the much larger model.
A specific model number will help people stay focused on your question.
Jonathan

Good idea. Model JJP-8BT or JJB-10BTOS are the ones I've been considering. Local suppliers can order but, no one has in stock to look at.

Thanks
Regis

David Kumm
09-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Regis, Those are small machines. Even the large J-P have problems if they are not the heavy versions. Go lunchbox planer and small jointer or as I said earlier find a used inca. I'm afraid you will end up spending for the privilege of being frustrated. Dave

John Coloccia
09-29-2011, 11:35 PM
The JJP-12 is a decent machine, though there is better out there (for more $$$). The smaller ones are toys from what I can tell. I would lean towards a used jointer and planer before considering the 10" and 8" Jet combo. That's my opinion.

Jeff Monson
09-29-2011, 11:40 PM
The smaller ones are toys from what I can tell. I would lean towards a used jointer and planer before considering the 10" and 8" Jet combo. That's my opinion.

Thats great advice, I have seen the 10" model in person and I would think there are better options out there. Save your money for a quality tool with better capacity, or look into used seperates.

Shawn Pixley
09-30-2011, 12:27 AM
I have the jet 8" combo. I also have a small shop (doubles as a garage). It is acceptable but I found I prefered to joint the neander way and upgraded to a spiral head planer. Depending upon what you build, it could be acceptable or not. I am selling because I don't use it anymore. It doesn't have the lock per your original question. But I never experience a lack of consistancy (+/- 1/100"). YMMV....

Jeremy Greiner
09-30-2011, 12:28 AM
I own a jet JJP 10 BTOS, they do have some quality control issues. Knowing this from the online reviews I bought locally to make the return process easier if needed. Fortunately the machine I received didn't have any of the quality issues I have read about. The stand that comes with the 10'' is total crap, I honestly feel using the machine on the stand provided is suicidal. The fence that comes with it isn't the best and I plan to make a replacement fence.

Is it the best option out there? Absolutely not, but it does its job well enough. If you can afford a better machine do it, if you can't the Jet JJP 10BTOS is an OK machine as long as you don't expect too much from it.

One note is dust collection, you have to have it hooked up to a dust collector otherwise it doesn't work well at all.

If had to do it over again after a year of owning the machine, I don't know I long for a good hammer combo machine but I don't have 240 in my garage and that adds to overall cost. I don't regret the purchase, I just hope someday to get a better machine.

-jeremy

Regis Galbach
09-30-2011, 8:30 AM
I appreciate all the input. I don't have room for free standing so, my choices are limited.

Thanks again,
Regis

Curt Harms
09-30-2011, 9:10 AM
The "Bench Top" Jet J/Ps do seem to get mixed reviews at best. I have the Jet JJP-12 and like it fine for light use/hobby shop. It would not be a good choice IMO for production use. The Jet JJP-12 will fit in a space 2' X 5'. I have mine on a mobile base but designed it so that I don't have to move it by pushing & pulling on the tables. So far no issues with maintaining settings.