PDA

View Full Version : Planer knife setting jigs

Russ Massery
02-26-2005, 4:56 PM
I've been frustrated when trying to set planer knives. I think I found the end of my my frustration. I was able to set the knive within +/-.001. The finish on the boards coming out of my planer have never been so smooth :D even at the lower feed setting. Pics attached.

Brian Hale
02-26-2005, 5:06 PM
Ummmm Let me guess......... Your a machinist, right????

Very good !!

Brian

Russ Massery
02-26-2005, 5:24 PM
Yep, for 26yrs now. I've been thinking about these for years now. I made a fixture at work that uses the same principle.

Brian Hale
02-26-2005, 5:46 PM
12 years for me although several of those were using lasers and waterjets. Currently i've got the best i could hope for doing first run prototype work on a little Mat 1000. Onezes and twozes and a boss/owner that never hassles me about my hours or the time it takes to get a job done. "Just make it the best you can"

Nice to meet ya!

Brian

Rick Lizek
02-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Been using something similar for the last 25 years as a professional tech. You might look at the bridgewood site for more ideas. I find one gauge is good enough and can easily set knives within .0005".

Russ Massery
02-27-2005, 8:36 PM
Rick, I'm working on one for the jointer as we speak, looks alot your photo. Thanks for the tip!

Rick Lizek
02-28-2005, 8:48 AM
The fixture is designed to straddle heads 3" and bigger. The gauge rotates so you can do feed rollers, pressure bars or bed rolls. I have a little tripod and gauge for doing smaller diameter heads. Tip is 1/2" convex button but I have a 1/2" flat tip as well. Each is appropriate for certain applications. I can do a 20" jointer with no knife adjusters in less than 1/2 hour within .0005". In fact I never use the knife adjusters any more. I start with the knife 1/32" high and bring it down to where I want it.