PDA

View Full Version : New blades really do work good!

Kevin Gregoire
09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
i bought my PM band saw from a guy that stated it to be 'hardly used' and from the looks of it i figured it was near new as there wasn't a scratch on it!
i used it from time to time but i always thought it was kinda tough to push a board through it but i just figured that's the way it was since it was a fairly
new saw but i had an extra blade and i put it on to see if it would help and OH MY GOD!!! it was like cutting through butter!

i learned a lesson of not taking a persons word of tool condition ever again. i will know better next time and will always just install a new blade into what
ever tool i buy next.

Jim Rimmer
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Good advice. Even applies to the blades that come with a new machine.

Bill White
09-29-2011, 12:45 PM
One would think that mfgrs. would go the little extra step of putting a good blade with their equip. Oh well......
Bill

alex grams
09-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a few of the laguna resaw king carbide blades. They are night and day in their quality of cut.

Joe Angrisani
09-29-2011, 1:41 PM
One would think that mfgrs. would go the little extra step of putting a good blade with their equip. Oh well......

If we consumers didn't put so much emphasis on price above all, perhaps they would....

Homer Faucett
09-29-2011, 1:45 PM
i learned a lesson of not taking a persons word of tool condition ever again. i will know better next time and will always just install a new blade into whatever tool i buy next.

I don't think the seller steered you wrong. It may well have been "barely used". The blade that comes with the PM 14" saw is nearly useless right out of the box. It doesn't mean that he used the blade a ton, it's just no good even when brand new.

alex grams
09-29-2011, 1:47 PM
Kevin, I agree with Homer. The grizzly new blades are just about good for chopping down scrap, but that is about it. The only tools I have bought that came with good blades out of the box have been lee valley/lie nielsen, and even those can benefit from a sharpening.

Jeff Duncan
09-29-2011, 1:55 PM
It's a bandsaw blade, even if it was a really good blade like say a Woodslicer, he could have used it for one or two little jobs and dulled it on some gnarly hard woods. I've dulled blades in an afternoon, it's not that hard. I wouldn't question the guys word, he didn't say it was brand new. Nor would I assume the blade was junk,(though it may well have been). It was used and probably should have been replaced right off the bat....that's all.

good luck,
JeffD

David Keast
09-30-2011, 2:36 AM
I had much the same experience with a Metabo band saw. the new blade supplied with the saw was quite useless.