PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Morton's Neuroma?

Belinda Barfield
09-29-2011, 8:36 AM
Not asking for medical advice, just info regarding experiences with treatment. I've had a Morton's neuroma of each foot for years, with the right worse than the left. The right one has reached the point that I have changed the way I walk and I've developed plantar fasciitis as a result. So, my questions are:

1) Have you had treatment for a MN? If so, what treatment?
2) If you had surgery for a MN how painful was it? What was your recovery experience?
3) Am I facing a future in orthopedic shoes? :( I love my heels!!

curtis rosche
09-29-2011, 11:23 AM
3) Am I facing a future in orthopedic shoes? :( I love my heels!!

you will have to switch to orthopedic shoes soon in your future anyways :rolleyes::D

just kidding:p

curtis rosche
09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
sorry, couldnt resist :P

Belinda Barfield
09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Sad thing is, you're right Curtis! In addition to being out of heels, the doc says I can't go barefoot either.

ray hampton
09-29-2011, 12:49 PM
good luck with your foot problems,

Phil Thien
09-29-2011, 6:52 PM
With the problem I have wearing sensible shoes, I am amazed women can get aware wearing those instruments of torture.

Sensible shoes with upgraded insoles. No heel is worth the pain or surgery.

Belinda Barfield
09-29-2011, 7:13 PM
With the problem I have wearing sensible shoes, I am amazed women can get aware wearing those instruments of torture.

Sensible shoes with upgraded insoles. No heel is worth the pain or surgery.

I've been wearing sensible shoes for several years now. The damage was done by that time though. I went to my local Smart Feet yesterday and talked to them about orthotics, etc. They want to wait for my doctor visit before we proceed with anything. Base orthotics $105 - ouch, but not as ouchy as the foot.

Jerry Bruette
09-29-2011, 7:28 PM
Yes M'am I've got them, both feet. Doc told me same as he told you 'cept I don't wear heels.:) I've found some relief using a product from Spenco. You could e-mail them and ask for some advice. Last pair I bought cost $35 at a sports store. I've also ordered them online for about the same price. The model I use is the Polysorb Total Support.

Before I went to the doctor I would get pain at the end of the day, after sitting down, that would shoot up to my knees and some days would hurt so much I felt like crying.:eek: Doc said surgery would be the last option because it's not always a success and may even leave you with a numb feeling in your feet. He likened Mortons Neuromas to carpal tunnel of the feet.

I would be cautious of the Good Feet people heard of people that spent upwards of $200 and had no relief at all.

Good Luck
Jerry

Phil Thien
09-29-2011, 9:53 PM
I have different foot problems but I also wear Spenco insoles and find them delightful. I got mine on Amazon.

Bruce Page
09-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Belinda, I don’t know anything about Morton's neuroma but I had a serious bout with plantar fasciitis last year that lasted several months. It was very painful – it felt like I had a 16 penny nail pounded in my right heel 24/7. I did all of the stretch exercises, massages, orthotics, etc. to no avail. I finally ended up getting 3 cortisone treatments that did the trick. I never want to go through that again.
I feel for you!

Belinda Barfield
09-30-2011, 7:24 AM
Doc said surgery would be the last option because it's not always a success and may even leave you with a numb feeling in your feet. He likened Mortons Neuromas to carpal tunnel of the feet.

Good Luck
Jerry

I'll check out Spenco. I haven't had any feeling in my second and third toes for years. I have to monitor my toes because when I run (which I can't do right now) I tend to get blisters on the tip of the second toe and I never feel them. Your doc's comparison to carpal tunnel is a good one. Same sort of nerve entrapment I think.

Belinda, I don’t know anything about Morton's neuroma but I had a serious bout with plantar fasciitis last year that lasted several months. It was very painful – it felt like I had a 16 penny nail pounded in my right heel 24/7. I did all of the stretch exercises, massages, orthotics, etc. to no avail. I finally ended up getting 3 cortisone treatments that did the trick. I never want to go through that again.
I feel for you!

Bruce, you know what it feels like when you hit your funny bone? With the Morton's neuroma that's about what my foot feels like with every step, not quite as severe but a sort of ZZZZT electrical zap. Sometimes it's more painful but I get the zap with every step. The plantar fasciitis is just really annoying throughout the day at this point but it does hurt like heck when my feet hit the ground first thing in the morning. Waiting for my appointment to be scheduled with the orthopedist. Dang insurance, had to see my primary care doctor so she could refer me to someone who can actually help.

ray hampton
09-30-2011, 1:29 PM
Belinda is this condition caused by a wart on the bottom of your foot ? this sound like if something are pressing on a nerve, if the pain are in toes do you walk on your heel ?

Belinda Barfield
09-30-2011, 1:46 PM
Belinda is this condition caused by a wart on the bottom of your foot ? this sound like if something are pressing on a nerve, if the pain are in toes do you walk on your heel ?

Ray, not a wart. The nerve between the toes gets injured and then becomes enlarged and painful. This gets progressively worse with time if not treated, and sometimes even if treated. Any pressure on the ball of the foot stimulates the nerve. Because of this I started walking differently without realizing it. This stressed the support system running from the front of the foot to the heel and that is causing heel pain.

Paul Brinkmeyer
09-30-2011, 2:11 PM
My SO had foot issues like that, including the Planter thing.
After much $$$ spent on Doctors, without any relief, and as a last resort,
she saw a thing that you hook up to your body with leads and it puts a small current in different patterns into the area of the leads. Actually got it at a booth at an ARA show in Vegas, go figure.
Hers has 6 leads for 3 spots and a bunch of patterns, timers and levels of treatment on it. I can look for more information if needed, but I have seen different machines advertised.
After about year she has no pain, walks just fine, and does not use the machine more that 1 or 2 times a month anymore.

Belinda Barfield
09-30-2011, 2:32 PM
Paul, this sounds like a TENS unit. Yes please, if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like information on the machine she has. Thanks!!!

ray hampton
09-30-2011, 3:37 PM
Belinda, this machine sound similar to a method of treatment bee or wasps sting that were popular around 1990, people that got sting and had a bad reacted to the sting would hold the spark plug cable end over the sting in the believe that the high voltage shock would help and if I recall right the treatment did work

David G Baker
09-30-2011, 5:07 PM
Belinda,
I have a TENS device made by EMPI. My model is the EMPI Select. New they cost around $800, I purchased mine off of Craigslist for $200 and it was lightly used (actually there wasn't any sign that it had left the box). I use it for all kinds of muscle pains and it really works well. You can do a Google search and get information online about it. My SO has arthritis of the lower spine and uses it once in a while when pain meds don't quite end the pain. The device is small and will fit in a pocket.

Ted Calver
09-30-2011, 5:51 PM
Dang it Belinda!! All this time I thought you were perfect!! No heels??? No barefoot?? Come on, ya gotta leave us something!! Wait... I forgot about GRITS... never mind :) :) :)

Belinda Barfield
10-02-2011, 2:11 PM
Dang it Belinda!! All this time I thought you were perfect!! No heels??? No barefoot?? Come on, ya gotta leave us something!! Wait... I forgot about GRITS... never mind :) :) :)

You know, Ted, all this time I thought I was perfect, too!:D There will always be GRITS.

K. L. McReynolds
10-03-2011, 5:44 PM
My wife had a fairly serious problem that became so painful her doctor operated to remove the nerve mass that was causing the problem. Once healed, she has no more symptoms or pain.

Peter Kelly
10-03-2011, 8:12 PM
Yes, I have intermetatarsal neuroma(s) in both feet and it can be extremely painful. If you're not ready for surgery I'd go with the real orthotic inserts you get from a podiatrist. Keeping your toes separated and arch support will make a big difference.

I imagine high heels would significantly worsen this condition...

Belinda Barfield
10-04-2011, 1:54 PM
Thanks again, all, for your responses. I'm still waiting for the referral to the orthopedist to come through from my doctor's office.:(

Yes, Peter, wearing heels is very painful. Right now I can only wear my running shoes with over the counter gel inserts, or my "rocker" shoes (shoes that are supposed to work your legs more when walking). The rocker shoes are keeping my achilles tendon stretched as well.

Phil Thien
10-04-2011, 9:53 PM
This:

http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/Minimalist_Shoe_Wear_for_Mortons_Toe_and_Mortons_N euroma_Sufferers,201137742.aspx

Suggests wearing these:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

You're supposed to change-up your shoes a lot.

Brian Vaughn
10-05-2011, 1:42 PM
Belinda,

My mother had those on both feet, and had surgery on both (Several years apart). The recovery was not bad, and well worth the decrease in pain (to her). Based on what she told me, she couldn't wait to have the surgery on the second foot, once her neuroma showed up, because she knew how much better it made things.

William Payer
10-05-2011, 4:21 PM
Belinda,

I have TWO Morton's Neuromas on the same foot. My Podiatrist used the following treatment plan.
1) Custom orthotics ( I had there before---he dished out areas under each neuroma and it did relieve some of the discomfort)
2) Ankyalosing (sp) injections . Alcohol based solutions to harden the nerve tissue. Sometimes gives relief.
3) Corticosteroid injections into the neuroma.
4) Surgery.

I went through steps 1-3 with no success. ( it works for approximately 50% OF PATIENTS)I had surgery on one neuroma in June. ( Not sure if there were two at this time and this one was the most probable) After surgery, other one was confirmed and surgery done about three weeks ago. Foot is sore, and I am back in regular shoes ( swelling is down) . Soreness is about the same at this time as before surgery, but I am looking forward to it lessening as time goes by. My neuromas developed over a period of 7-8 years and got progressively worse until I decided to find another Podiatrist. ( First one prescribed orthotics and basically dropped the ball after that) Due to the neuromas being there inflamed for such a long time, the basic treatment (1-3) was not effective and as a result,my recovery is expected to be longer than the average patient.
If you have any more questions, just ask.

Belinda Barfield
10-05-2011, 4:42 PM
Belinda,

I have TWO Morton's Neuromas on the same foot. My Podiatrist used the following treatment plan.
1) Custom orthotics ( I had there before---he dished out areas under each neuroma and it did relieve some of the discomfort)
2) Ankyalosing (sp) injections . Alcohol based solutions to harden the nerve tissue. Sometimes gives relief.
3) Corticosteroid injections into the neuroma.
4) Surgery.

I went through steps 1-3 with no success. ( it works for approximately 50% OF PATIENTS)I had surgery on one neuroma in June. ( Not sure if there were two at this time and this one was the most probable) After surgery, other one was confirmed and surgery done about three weeks ago. Foot is sore, and I am back in regular shoes ( swelling is down) . Soreness is about the same at this time as before surgery, but I am looking forward to it lessening as time goes by. My neuromas developed over a period of 7-8 years and got progressively worse until I decided to find another Podiatrist. ( First one prescribed orthotics and basically dropped the ball after that) Due to the neuromas being there inflamed for such a long time, the basic treatment (1-3) was not effective and as a result,my recovery is expected to be longer than the average patient.
If you have any more questions, just ask.

Thanks for the info. I have had my neuromas for over 20 years. I read Phil's post with the suggestion of the Vibram Fivefingers and I can't imagine that wearing that type of show wouldn't cause pain. What do you think? I am typically a person who avoids surgery but in this instance I am eager to pursue a surgical course.

William Payer
10-05-2011, 5:07 PM
Seriously, I would only take surgery as a last resort after all other treatment have failed. Although I am certainly not healed yet, I anticipate some neurological differences like not quite feeling your toes like the "normal "foot. In my case, since the two neuromas were on either side of the middle toe, I am likely to lose feeling in the tip of that toe (so far that's what I have) Not a real problem to me, as long as I can get the "walking on a stone" feeling and its pain to subside.

If I were you, I would make an appointment with either a Podiatrist (get a good one who people refer favorably) or an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet and ankles. Try all the treatments before opting for the knife. Many of these treatments ( orthotics, injections) really are not that bothersome or painful, and if they alleviate symptoms enough to give the quality of life you need, then its a win-win.
As far as the individual toed shoes, I don;t know. My pain was most prominent when the foot was on a hard surface where the ball of the foot came in contact with the floor . The more pressure the more discomfort. I don;t think those shoes would have helped me, but trying them is a lot better than surgery. Your foot doctor should have some knowledge if they are helpful.
My only regret is that I followed the first doctors advice and did nothing to treat ( or identify it as a neuroma)it. Has I sought treatment earlier the surgery might have been avoided.
Somewhere I read that surgery for a MN is effective in about 70% of the cases. I don't know if this is a true statistic or if someone was just shooting off their mouth, but there is a reasonable chance surgery will not be a success. ( a friend of my wife knows someone who has no success with it)

Phil Thien
10-05-2011, 9:34 PM
Someone mentioned this is like carpal tunnel of the feet. Does it respond at all to strong anti-inflammatories?

And do those of you suffering from this ever crack your toe joints? Does bending your toe joints to extremes also trigger or worsen the pain?

Jerry Bruette
10-05-2011, 9:52 PM
My doctor talked of Corticostseeroid injections to reduce inflamation he also talked of Chiropractic treatment.

I've been "cracking" my toes and other joints either on purpose or they do it on their own for years and can't say it's triggered any type of pain.

The problem lies between the metatarsal bones in the foot and not in the joints.

Jerry

Belinda Barfield
10-06-2011, 7:26 AM
Seriously, I would only take surgery as a last resort after all other treatment have failed. Although I am certainly not healed yet, I anticipate some neurological differences like not quite feeling your toes like the "normal "foot. In my case, since the two neuromas were on either side of the middle toe, I am likely to lose feeling in the tip of that toe (so far that's what I have) Not a real problem to me, as long as I can get the "walking on a stone" feeling and its pain to subside.

If I were you, I would make an appointment with either a Podiatrist (get a good one who people refer favorably) or an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet and ankles. Try all the treatments before opting for the knife. Many of these treatments ( orthotics, injections) really are not that bothersome or painful, and if they alleviate symptoms enough to give the quality of life you need, then its a win-win.
As far as the individual toed shoes, I don;t know. My pain was most prominent when the foot was on a hard surface where the ball of the foot came in contact with the floor . The more pressure the more discomfort. I don;t think those shoes would have helped me, but trying them is a lot better than surgery. Your foot doctor should have some knowledge if they are helpful.
My only regret is that I followed the first doctors advice and did nothing to treat ( or identify it as a neuroma)it. Has I sought treatment earlier the surgery might have been avoided.
Somewhere I read that surgery for a MN is effective in about 70% of the cases. I don't know if this is a true statistic or if someone was just shooting off their mouth, but there is a reasonable chance surgery will not be a success. ( a friend of my wife knows someone who has no success with it)

I already have numbness of the toes so that wouldn't really bother me post surgery. I will be seeing an orthopedist who specializes in neuromas (if the referral from my primary care doc ever gets done).

I agree about the individual toed shoes, if they are close to going barefoot they would offer no relief for me at all.

Someone mentioned this is like carpal tunnel of the feet. Does it respond at all to strong anti-inflammatories?

And do those of you suffering from this ever crack your toe joints? Does bending your toe joints to extremes also trigger or worsen the pain?

For me there isn't much relief with anti-inflammatories although on my doc's recommendation I have increased my Aleve from once to twice a day. The nerve in the forefoot is enlarged and anti-inflammatories won't shrink it back down. Bending the toes has not affect whatsoever in the pain. The best way I can describe the feeling I get is when I put pressure on the ball of the foot, either by standing or direct pressure placed on the area I get something similar to an electrical shock feeling. My biggest issue over the past few days is the heel pain from the plantar fasciitis.

William Payer
10-06-2011, 9:23 AM

Its like carpal tunnel in that the nerves affected pass through structures in the foot ( ligaments in the metatarsal area of the foot) , the nerves become inflamed, undergo hypertrophy and grow physically larger, become more inflamed due to being compressed and rubbing, and the cycle repeats itself.

From all I've learned the symptoms of Morton's Neuroma vary from person to person. Some get soreness and pain while others get the nerves firing and get tingling or shock-like pain. The toes usually have little or nothing to aggravate or trigger the pain, movement is not a problem. Movement or pressure in the ball of the foot" under the metatarsal/phalange joints is usually the trigger for the symptoms.

Phil Thien
10-06-2011, 10:40 AM
For anyone interested, this site has an interesting slide show of surgery to remove a MN:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/308284-overview

Just click on the picture and it will open slide #5/5, you have to click on PREVIOUS to go back to the first.

LOOK AT THAT THING! GET THAT OUT OF YOUR FOOT, you'll have to feel better!!! OMG, people, I have the greatest sympathy for you guys.

I know that in many areas (heart, back, etc.) that not all surgeons are all equal. For those of you that have undergone the surgery, would you care to comment on your experiences with the surgeon? Is this simple stuff that a general surgeon can handle? Or is there a good trick for finding a dynamite surgeon for this sort of procedure?

William Payer
10-06-2011, 4:21 PM
For anyone interested, this site has an interesting slide show of surgery to remove a MN:

Just click on the picture and it will open slide #5/5, you have to click on PREVIOUS to go back to the first.

LOOK AT THAT THING! GET THAT OUT OF YOUR FOOT, you'll have to feel better!!! OMG, people, I have the greatest sympathy for you guys.

I know that in many areas (heart, back, etc.) that not all surgeons are all equal. For those of you that have undergone the surgery, would you care to comment on your experiences with the surgeon? Is this simple stuff that a general surgeon can handle? Or is there a good trick for finding a dynamite surgeon for this sort of procedure?

Good info Phil!
I had my surgeries (2) by a podiatrist who was recommended by someone who had a Morton's Neuroma removed. I went into the situation thinking it would be a relatively simple, unremarkable procedure, which was not the case in my situation. Not blaming the podiatrist at all, but if I had to do a do-over, I would have opted for a board certified orthopedic surgeon with a specialty area of feet and ankles. Even then, I would seek someone who is highly recommended by a medical professional I have experience with. My personal physician as well as an ENT doctor we have known personally for 30 years provide good input in this area. I ask my doc, "If it were your kid, who would you want doing this procedure" and that usually gets me the best recommendation.

Oh Yeah, those Morton's Neuromas can be big. I am just getting back to walking in running shoes and feel a "squishy" feeling near the base of my toes. It is fluid moving in and out of the void area from the neuroma removal! It will fill in in time, but for now it is a strange feeling!

Belinda Barfield
10-07-2011, 3:25 PM

Ummm . . . Thanks(???) Phil. LOL, I had to look. At least we have educated you. :D

On Monday I will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle problems. He has great credentials. He's published a couple of chapters on surgery to remove Morton's Neuromas and they are his specialty. I thought we had come a long way when we started having to have a doctor for each specific body part, but now we have doctors for specific problems with specific body parts. :rolleyes::cool:

Seriously, I know that surgery comes with it's own risks but I just want the things out of my feet. Of course, I will follow the doc's advice and go the route of injections, etc., first. I did find it interesting though that my primary care doc felt that I should see this guy.

Phil Thien
10-07-2011, 6:51 PM
Seriously, I know that surgery comes with it's own risks but I just want the things out of my feet. Of course, I will follow the doc's advice and go the route of injections, etc., first. I did find it interesting though that my primary care doc felt that I should see this guy.

I don't blame you at all.

It isn't as if there is no risk to skipping the surgery. Your pain could worsen. You could lose sensitivity (which carries its own risks). You have to factor all that in.

I'm not gung ho when it comes to surgery, either. If you were asking about back surgery, my take would be very different.

Good luck, Belinda.

P.S. If you do require surgery, get some pics of the mass. :)

William Payer
10-08-2011, 9:05 AM
Good luck with getting rid of the neuroma, Belinda. Keep updated on the progress.

Belinda Barfield
10-08-2011, 9:11 AM
Good luck with getting rid of the neuroma, Belinda. Keep updated on the progress.

Thanks, I will.

I don't blame you at all.

It isn't as if there is no risk to skipping the surgery. Your pain could worsen. You could lose sensitivity (which carries its own risks). You have to factor all that in.

I'm not gung ho when it comes to surgery, either. If you were asking about back surgery, my take would be very different.

Good luck, Belinda.

P.S. If you do require surgery, get some pics of the mass. :)

If I do have surgery I will definitely request photos.

I discovered a place on the right side of my second toe this morning, a broken down blister, that I didn't even know had happened because I have virtually no sensation in my second and third toes.

ray hampton
10-08-2011, 11:50 AM
one way to prevent blisters between your toes is to keep them separate and dry

Phil Thien
10-08-2011, 3:12 PM
I discovered a place on the right side of my second toe this morning, a broken down blister, that I didn't even know had happened because I have virtually no sensation in my second and third toes.

That's scary.

I have a diabetic friend that has lost a lot of circulation and sensitivity in his feet.

He got a cut on the bottom of his foot, didn't realize it, and weeks later was having part of his foot amputated.

So be careful! Diabetic people are supposed to inspect their feet regularly. You probably should, too.

ray hampton
10-08-2011, 7:36 PM
That's scary.

I have a diabetic friend that has lost a lot of circulation and sensitivity in his feet.

He got a cut on the bottom of his foot, didn't realize it, and weeks later was having part of his foot amputated.

So be careful! Diabetic people are supposed to inspect their feet regularly. You probably should, too.

I hope that you are able to inspect your own feet but if not ,then please ask for your family help

ray hampton
10-08-2011, 7:46 PM
Thanks, I will.

If I do have surgery I will definitely request photos.

did your doctor check your feet for sensation by the the needle check? I got feeling in both feet /toes but never felt the blisters on the toes/feet but I would feel my feet itching

Belinda Barfield
10-09-2011, 8:24 AM
Phil & Ray, I keep a regular check on my feet and toes. . . usually when I do my nails. LOL.

did your doctor check your feet for sensation by the the needle check? I got feeling in both feet /toes but never felt the blisters on the toes/feet but I would feel my feet itching

Ray, no needle check yet. My doc just did a basic check I guess with something that was rough.

Belinda Barfield
10-10-2011, 10:27 AM
For those who asked for an update.
Saw the orthopaedic surgeon this morning. Steroid injection to the right heel and one to the neuroma. No bone spurs, etc. Waiting on appointment for ultrasound to confirm the neuromas, since they don't show up on x-ray. I go back in six weeks to evaluate the response to the injections, and to have the left foot injected. We trying the conservative route, but the doc is guessing that I've had the neuromas fo so long that we probably won't get much of a response to steroids. As an added bonus, found out I am borderline for osteoporosis.

ray hampton
10-10-2011, 4:43 PM
will drinking more MILK help your bones ?

Phil Thien
10-10-2011, 9:19 PM
As an added bonus, found out I am borderline for osteoporosis.

Do you remember what it feels like to get good news? It has been a while, no? :)

What does the doc want you to do for the osteoporosis? I know there are drugs out there, but I don't know if they're prescribed for people that are borderline.

Did he tell you to drink milkshakes? 'Cause that would be a pretty awesome prescription.

Belinda Barfield
10-11-2011, 7:30 AM
will drinking more MILK help your bones ?

Won't hurt, but won't help either.

Do you remember what it feels like to get good news? It has been a while, no? :)

What does the doc want you to do for the osteoporosis? I know there are drugs out there, but I don't know if they're prescribed for people that are borderline.

Did he tell you to drink milkshakes? 'Cause that would be a pretty awesome prescription.

You know, Phil, it has been a while since I stopped to focus on the good news. Thanks for reminding me that it ain't all bad, just frustrating. It just seems everything is breaking down at once.

One of the best thing for strengthening bone is actually weight lifting/training. I was an avid weight lifter until about two years ago. The doc wants me to take over the counter Viactiv which is a calcium and vitamin D combo. You have to have the vitamin D to help the body better absorb the calcium. I forget how much milk I would have to drink to equal the dose of calcium I need but it's a lot if remember correctly. Sadly, the awesome milkshake diet would put my cholesterol through the roof. So, can't lift weights or do aerobics until the foot heals which is at least six weeks, and then we start on the other foot. I jinxed myself by starting on a plan on October 1 to be back to my "fighting weight" that I was at in my 20s. I can walk on a treamdill or use an elliptical as tolerated after tomorrow, so there's still hope I'll meet my goal.

I have always been leery of taking medications, even over the counter ones. I just don't like chemicals. Then last week I started reading a book named Pick Your Poison: How Our Mad Dash to Chemical Utopia is Making Lab Rats of Us All. Boy, what an eye opener!

Belinda Barfield
10-11-2011, 7:48 AM
Just FYI for the women in your lives. Women require increasing levels of calcium intake as they age. My requirement is 1000 mg a day. An 8 ounce glass of milk has 300 mg of calcium, so I was wrong about having to drink a lot of milk to meet my requirement. Of course, other foods contain calcium as well.

From WEBMD:
"Calcium is one of the minerals most often lacking in Americans' diets (http://www.webmd.com/diet/default.htm). But experts say that whenever you can, you should choose calcium from foods such as dairy products, fortified foods, dark leafy greens, soybeans, beans, fish, and raisins.
The U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommends three servings of low-fat or non-fat dairy each day to help bridge this gap. But there are plenty of people who shun dairy, the best source of calcium in our diets."

So, I have no idea why I'm not getting enough calcium because I usually have one glass of milk a day, I eat cheese almost every day, I eat spinach almost three or more time a week along with Great Northern beans in a salad, I eat salmon once or twice a week, and I have two glasses of V8 a day.

David Cramer
10-11-2011, 8:06 AM
Hi Belinda,

I am a long distance runner and ripped the nerve in a 5k race rounding a pylon (180 degree turn). I was going too fast and kept my foot planted and then turned my upper body. I had the surgery and unlucky me, the nerve grew back, took a left turn and attached itself to the bottom of my foot. When I started running again it was "killing me!" as I was running on the nerve itself. Another surgery which is how they found out and they cut it back even further. I will not say it's 100% as that would be a lie, but it's better than it originally was when I hurt....after 2 bloody surgeries though:( I am in my 40's and still run competitively so since it's good enough for that, I'll take it:)

Hope things work out well for you Belinda and good luck whichever route you take.

David

p.s. The shots did nothing for me either, hence the surgery that followed.

Belinda Barfield
10-11-2011, 8:27 AM
Thanks for the info David. I am definitely not a long distance runner (I wish I was). Running is a chore that I force myself to do sometimes. Recurrrence is one of the issues, especially if you continue to do the activity that caused the problem in the first place. For me that will be a shoe issue. The doc told me yesterday I need to start buying my shoes at a very expensive local shoe store, and stop buying "cheap" shoes. I have a very narrow heel and a normal width forefoot. The last pair of dress shoes I bought set me back somewhere around $90. I don't consider that cheap, but I'm sure many others would.

Good luck to you as well. I hope you can continue to run.

Phil Thien
10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
You know, Phil, it has been a while since I stopped to focus on the good news. Thanks for reminding me that it ain't all bad, just frustrating. It just seems everything is breaking down at once.

Pain will do that to you. Your mind dwells on it.

Sometimes it helps to set an approximate date for the surgery and do a countdown. That way when it bothers you most, you can just think "only 52 more days." Marking days off a calendar can also be helpful.

And one of my friends is a chemist. His favorite saying: "Chemicals have their place, it just isn't in my body." He is kidding a bit, of course, but one of his favorite topics is drug efficacy. Apparently a lot of drugs out there just don't' work that well. "Little upside, lotta downside" he always says.

Belinda Barfield
10-14-2011, 5:25 PM
Well. If this gets any more special I don't know what I'll do. Don't have the formal report and haven't talked to the doc, but according to the ultrasound tech I have not one, but TWO neuromas in each foot. I really do try to excel in everything I do . . .

ray hampton
10-14-2011, 6:57 PM
Daughter, forgive me but is these neuromas any thing similar to a tumor

Phil Thien
10-14-2011, 8:31 PM
Well. If this gets any more special I don't know what I'll do. Don't have the formal report and haven't talked to the doc, but according to the ultrasound tech I have not one, but TWO neuromas in each foot. I really do try to excel in everything I do . . .

OMG, these things stay gone once they're removed, right?

Belinda Barfield
10-15-2011, 9:04 AM
Daughter, forgive me but is these neuromas any thing similar to a tumor

Ray, they are only similar to tumors in that neuromas and tumors are both just overgrowth of cells, different type. A neuroma is not a cancer.

OMG, these things stay gone once they're removed, right?

OMG, they can recur. But I think if you don't repeat the action that irritated the nerves in the first place recurrence is a lot less likely. According to the ultrasound tech I have "unusually narrow spaces between the toes". Go figure.

William Payer
10-16-2011, 11:13 AM
That"s not good news Belinda. You and I are in the 2-3% group of people who get two on the same. You definitely trump me seeing that you have them on BOTH feet! Are both feet showing the same symptoms? Hopefully one foot is still symptom free.
If surgery is required, will they be able to do both neuromas at the same time (same foot that is)? My doc said doing both was problematic in that it opened the possibility of injuring the blood supply to the toe between the neuromas (middle toe)

Belinda Barfield
10-16-2011, 6:30 PM
That"s not good news Belinda. You and I are in the 2-3% group of people who get two on the same. You definitely trump me seeing that you have them on BOTH feet! Are both feet showing the same symptoms? Hopefully one foot is still symptom free.
If surgery is required, will they be able to do both neuromas at the same time (same foot that is)? My doc said doing both was problematic in that it opened the possibility of injuring the blood supply to the toe between the neuromas (middle toe)

Goodness, I don't want to trump anyone with this! Both feet showing the same symptoms. I don't know if the doc will do surgery for the worst neuroma on each (don't even know if I'm having surgery yet), or will just do the largest one. I have developed some bruising at the injection site so I can see where the blood supply must be very good to the area.

Belinda Barfield
10-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Okay, just for stuff and giggles - and because this is all very bizarre to me - I'm sharing my ultrasound results. Let me know when y'all get bored.

Normal plantar fascia thickness 2 to 3 mm. Both feet have a PF thickness of 4.1 mm.
Left foot neuroma between 2nd and 3rd toes is 9 x .87 mms, 3rd and fourth does 9 x .8 mms. These are considered medium sized neuromas.
Right foot neuroma between 2nd and 3rd toes is 9.4 x 9.5 mms, 3rd and 4th toes 12 x 12 mms.:eek::eek::(

Bill White
10-18-2011, 4:53 PM
My bride had 'em. Had the surgery, and is well afterwards. Now, she ain't wearin' heels either but that is a choice.
Recovery wasn't that bad.
Bill

Belinda Barfield
10-18-2011, 6:52 PM
Good to know Bill. I have reconciled myself to wearing heels for short periods of time on the rare occasion that they seem necessary. Thanks for the input!

Scott Verson
05-18-2018, 7:31 AM
I apologize, guys, I know that this topic is very old, but maybe my answer will help someone in the future

I have Morton's Neuroma in my left foot. The pain was excruciating at times, to non-existent at other times. Barefoot walking hurt a LOT, especially going downstairs. I finally went to a doctor (after years) when my foot above my numb last two toes became bruised from the neuroma! I went to a podiatrist and got inserts that cost a fortune but that, unfortunately, did not help.

I have yoga toes, and they do seem to help somewhat, though I'm anything but consistent with their use.

What has helped me most is switching to Keen shoes. These are the first shoes I've ever owned in which my feet have felt comfortable. I have a job that allows me to dress very casually, so these work perfectly for me. I cannot say enough about how much these shoes have helped my feet.

For workout shoes, I wear Ryka currently but haven't really searched around much. Since switching to Keens I have no pain (with very rare flare-ups), so the hour or so per day I spend in non-Keens doesn't seem to bother the neuroma.

I do also have Superfeet inserts for my non-Keen sneaks that seem to help somewhat as well.

Dansko shoes are supposed to be extremely comfortable as well.

Frederick Skelly
05-18-2018, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the post Scott.

Welcome to the Creek!

Fred