PDA

View Full Version : Which Doug Thompson tool?

John M. Smith
09-29-2011, 8:03 AM
I will be attending the OVWG Symposium this weekend. I purchased a 3/8" detail gouge him at St. Paul this year.
Just wondering from what everyones favorites are. I will be getting 1 or 2 . Thanks for the help spending my money.:D:D

John Smith

No signature line yet

John Keeton
09-29-2011, 8:10 AM
John, I look forward to seeing you there!!! My go to tool is Doug's 1/2"V bowl gouge, and I have the 5/8"V for roughing. For finial work, I use the detail gouge you have, plus the 1/4" detail gouge (I have two - one with a little more "pointy" end), and his 3/8" spindle gouge is a must have for all round spindle work.

Is that a good start????;):D

Terry Quiram
09-29-2011, 8:11 AM
I also have the 3/8 detail gouge. I intend to get a 1/2 detail gouge this weekend. Stop by my booth this weekend and introduce your self.

John M. Smith
09-29-2011, 8:18 AM
John-Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe I will need more than 2 :eek:

Thanks

John Smith

Kathy Marshall
09-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I also have the 3/8 and 1/4 detail gouges and love them. I also have the 1/2 V and 1/2 U but my personal favorite is my 3/8 U bowl gouge which is in my hand 90% of the time.

Reed Gray
09-29-2011, 12:50 PM
I have a bunch of his tools. Can't think of one that I don't like, though I seldom use the skew. Scrapers, fluteless gouge, 5/8 V gouges, 5/8 U gouges, spindle gouges.......

robo hippy

Prashun Patel
09-29-2011, 12:59 PM
If you previously had average turning tools, then my advice is pick the one you used the most and get that. You won't regret it. There's a lot in the bowl gouge area to get confused about (flutes, celebrity names, etc). But my conclusion was that you can't go wrong with the standard U or V flutes. Try one of each like I am ;)

Harvey Ghesser
09-29-2011, 1:19 PM
208784John, I use the Glaser on the left. Thompson is on the right.

The 1/2 inch oval is my go to.

Todd Bin
09-29-2011, 5:18 PM
plus the 1/4" detail gouge (I have two - one with a little more "pointy" end), and his 3/8" spindle gouge is a must have for all round spindle work.

John, does the Thompson 3/8 handle fit the 1/4" detail gouge? Or did you make your own handle?

Thanks,
Todd

Edward Bartimmo
09-29-2011, 5:18 PM
I am going to agree with John's selection. I like the V more than the U for two reasons. First, the V has a narrower nose profile so can get into tighter places. Second, the V clears the shavings better. Either way you can't go wrong.

His handles are also nice, and weighted with lead shot in the end. Just remember that the shot is not contained within a plastic sleeve....it is free floating so whatever you do Do Not Open the bottom cap while it is facing downward. I hear that if it is late enough and you pull such a manuever you have endless hours of sweeping and cleaning. The shot is too small to be sucked up by shopvac. Should you do this there is one saving grace...the shot isn't pure lead. It conatins some iron so a magnetic will work.

Ron Bontz
09-29-2011, 9:10 PM
Ok I can't remember. What is "OVWG Symposium"? THanks .........OK I found out. Oh and I don't think you can go wrong with either gouges. The 3/8th detail is one of my favorites.

David E Keller
09-29-2011, 9:12 PM
John, does the Thompson 3/8 handle fit the 1/4" detail gouge? Or did you make your own handle?

Thanks,
Todd

Doug has a nice aluminum adaptor that will allows the 1/4" to fit the handle or act as a ferrel for your own handle.

Cathy Schaewe
09-29-2011, 9:14 PM
I have the 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 V gouges, as well as a scraper, acquired in that order. Each gouge was my favorite, until I got the next size up. I'm not sure I could like a tool better than my 5/8 V.

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2011, 11:55 PM
I have the 3/8", 1/4" detail gouges and the 1/2" U & V bowl gouges.