PDA

View Full Version : What is it worth

Steve Trauthwein
09-29-2011, 7:08 AM
Hell All,

I have the chance to acquire some myrtle logs that are 36" by four to five feet long. Anyone have an idea of value? I see where kd common myrtle is $4 a board foot, but this is milled and dried. These have set in Missouri for a year. Any insight would be appreciated. The guy has an inflated idea of their value.

Regards, Steve

Terry Quiram
09-29-2011, 8:19 AM
Steve I have no idea the value of Myrtle. However, I have never had to buy any wood that grows locally. I keep in touch with a couple tree trimming outfits. Soften them up by giving something you have turned and they will look for just about anything you ask for.

Reed Gray
09-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I would expect to pay, at most $100 for a log like that, but it grows here, and I have a good source. Do check it very closely for powder post beetles. They really love myrtle, and can appear out of thin air.

robo hippy

Royce Meritt
09-29-2011, 1:03 PM
I would think anything under $100 for a log that size would be a bargain. If I had the chance I would jump all over that. Myrtle has become one of my favorites.

William Bachtel
09-29-2011, 5:11 PM
Myrtle, someone told me it only grows in Oregon, is that true folks?

Bill Bulloch
09-30-2011, 7:19 AM
A log 36" by 48" should yeild about 230 board feet of useable lumber. I would think sixty or seventy cents a board foot would be fair, especially for Myrtle. It would cost at least that much to ship it to Missouri. Just make sure it is ALL usable lumber -- Power Beetles, Termites and decay can be problematic.

David E Keller
09-30-2011, 9:52 PM
Just a thought, but you could shoot Mike Smith an email and see what his thoughts are... I believe he's purchased myrtle recently in Oregon, so he could give you some idea about the going rate. Terry Gerros would be another source.

George Guadiane
09-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Is it a yard tree? If so, it MAY have metal in it. Where are the logs? In someone's front yard? An eyesore? How long have they been there? What other logs does the seller have, why? Can they deliver them to you?
When I was fairly new at obtaining wood I tried to buy a standing box elder with some burl on it. It was off the road with no easy access and not that much burl. The guy wouldn't make a price. In the end, I offered the guy $75 for the part that I wanted because I would have had to chainsaw the thing up and bring it out one piece at a time, then clean up the parts I didn't want. He was insulted. He WANTED the cut up, waxed and displayed at a symposium retail price for the stuff.

Think of that as a bargaining points. The more work you have to do to get wood on the lathe, the less you should have to pay for it.

Not to be funny or silly, but wood grows on trees. Without working too hard, regardless of where you live, you can get more GREAT wood than you could ever hope to turn for as little as a "thank you for taking this stuff out of my yard" to as much as a turned piece from the wood you get too much of for free.
Tree services, land clearers and loggers are three easy places to get wood, including BURLS. Loggers often leave them in the woods or just throw them in burn piles. Saw mills often don't want that material because it doesn't fit in with what they normally sell/do so loggers don't like them. Same thing with crotch material. I used to by those for $5 to $15 each. They cut those away anyway.

Unless the wood is really rare and BEAUTIFUL, don't be in a hurry to part with your money and don't let anyone push you into buying more than you believe you can easily turn and/or process and wax for storage.

These are SOME of the things I consider when deciding what to pick up and what, if anything, to pay.

Keith E Byrd
10-01-2011, 6:49 AM
George - some great advice in there - thanks