PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Madrone

Scott Hackler
09-28-2011, 10:22 PM
This is the first piece of Madrone I have ever turned. I knew that untreated Madrone would distort and for the piece I had in mind, I wanted that. Unfortunately most of the wood vendors boil or pressure cook this lovely wood to try and stop the distorting that it naturally does during drying. I was lucky that Mike Smith with Century Woods brought an assortment of untreated Madrone to SWAT in Waco, TX.

My vision, knowing the likelyhood of a moderate to very distorted piece was likely, was a thrown clay pot form. This wood was super fun to experience. It turned like butter and started distorting and contracting upon itself within a few hours. I let it air dry for a couple weeks and then applied several coats of BLO, followed by REN wax. Turned to a bit over 3/16" thick is it 3 3/4" wide and 5" tall.

Comments and critiques are always welcome, thanks for looking.

Baxter Smith
09-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Pretty neat pot Scott. I have turned one piece of wet madrone and will agree that it was fascinating to turn.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Cool piece Scott. I have not turned any madrone. Mike didn't have any when I stopped to see him but said he would get me some.

Reed Gray
09-29-2011, 1:13 AM
Worst thing about Madrone is that the lumber companies consider it a trash wood and it ends up in the slash pile. There are a few brave souls who will dry it for lumber. Cuts like butter.

robo hippy

charlie knighton
09-29-2011, 7:22 AM
nice, Scott, i have never turned any, i like your dark finish, mostly i have only seen lighter finish pieces

John Keeton
09-29-2011, 8:13 AM
Scott, I was wondering when you were going to post this piece - very nice work! While I am not fond of the distorted madrone pieces, you did a great job turning this piece and the wood is beautiful.

Tim Rinehart
09-29-2011, 8:55 AM
I'm glad to see thrown refers to irregular surface...not that it came loose while turning!
That is a nice shape that I've not seen. Will make a great little pot for dried flowers, I think.

James Combs
09-29-2011, 9:18 AM
I'm glad to see thrown refers to irregular surface...not that it came loose while turning!
That is a nice shape that I've not seen. Will make a great little pot for dried flowers, I think.

What Tim Said.

Scott Hackler
09-29-2011, 9:33 AM
Thanks guys. The term "thrown" was supposed to refer to a thrown clay pot (on the potters wheel). I guess everyone can't read my mind! The neatest thing about this piece is that the distortion makes it a very "hand on" finished piece. I literally pick it up almost everytime I go by it, just to feel the surface. Very tactile.

Reed Gray
09-29-2011, 12:52 PM
I had a piece similar to that one, it moved more sideways, coming from the trunk buttress area. I told a customer that I left it too close to the fire and it melted.

Colors can range from almost white in younger trees, to all shades of red, purple, and even black.

robo hippy

Joe Meirhaeghe
09-29-2011, 7:39 PM
Good original form Scott, not crazy about the final form. I've only turned 1 piece of green madrone and I got to watch it warp as it was turned.