PDA

View Full Version : workin on urns

curtis rosche
09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
i am currently working on multiple urns.(those of you whohave been to a funeral home know the outrageous price for urns that are masspruduced somewhere and have no meaning at all). one from apple burl, one fromoak, one from cherry, and one from maple. i stayed home from school monday andtuesday to start work on them. i cut the wood from all local sources using mynew chainsaw. im making more than one so we can choose which one looks best.these are the biggest peices i have had on my lathe yet.

the two i have pictures of are cherry and oak.

Baxter Smith
09-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Looks good Curtis. Are you going to try and hollow them using the faceplate or with a chuck? Good luck with it!

Harry Robinette
09-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Curtis
Just a little hint, If you chainsaw down through the side of the log instead of the end I find it cuts easier and it's easier on the saw. You might have to stop and remove the stringy shavings but it's so much easier.

David DeCristoforo
09-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Wicked! But hey... what's that big grey thing in your shop?

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Looking good Curtis. I agree cutting length wise will make the cut a lot easier.

curtis rosche
09-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Wicked! But hey... what's that big grey thing in your shop? the one with the orange magnet on it? thats my stepdads work truck. got every tool an electrician could want. we are moving his truck to our other garage to make more room to make the urns.

Baxter, im using the faceplate to turn them into blanks, and then turning a tennon on the end for a chuck. hollowing the oak kinda scares me though,

curtis rosche
09-28-2011, 11:10 PM
i know about the saw, but thanks anyways. i cut it at a slight angle and was folloing the lines i had drawn on the top, i cut it the other way for the other cuts except for the first cut on each side.
that saw runs very well. it goes through gas pretty fast, but it cuts oak and maple no problem, even when i was ripping

Betty Fox
09-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Stihl Farm Boss.......you got taste. :)

Jeff Fagen
09-29-2011, 9:55 AM
Can you tell us about that cool hand made lathe?

curtis rosche
09-29-2011, 11:20 AM
what do you want to know about it? the ways are 3/8 thick angle iron. the legs are schedule 80 i think 2.5 inch pipe. it has a 14 inch max diameter. it has a 2hp motor and a gear box that slows it down enough that i can almost turn ovals.