PDA

View Full Version : Window glass seal repair

Bruce Koch
09-28-2011, 8:25 PM
Is there any way to fix thermal pane glass seal failure without replacing the glass. I heard there was. Any comments?

Lee Schierer
09-29-2011, 8:20 AM
Thermo pane windows are usually filled with a dry inert gas. Any moisture inside will cause fogging. Normally a thermo pane carries a lifetime warranty so check with the window manufacturer to see if you can get a free replacement.

Bob Riefer
09-29-2011, 10:21 AM
I have the same issue with my windows, but can't for the life of me find a manufacturer's name anywhere on any of the windows? Not even etched writing or a name on the latches. Any ideas on how to identify them?

Joel Goodman
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I have had this issue over the years on a house in NY state. Once the seal is broken there is no cure but replacing the glass. My local supplier gives a 10 year warranty on the seal. They don't last forever. But no storm windows!

Joe Angrisani
09-29-2011, 1:29 PM
I have the same issue with my windows, but can't for the life of me find a manufacturer's name anywhere on any of the windows? Not even etched writing or a name on the latches. Any ideas on how to identify them?

Look around inside the weather stripping for the glass and see if you can see the edge of the glass itself. You're trying to see the hidden edge of the glass panes where they are inside the framework. On the old house my Pella windows had their name and serial numbers etched in reverse on the edge of the glass itself so you could read them "through the glass".

Ben Hatcher
09-29-2011, 3:06 PM
The fix that was proposed to me and advertised around here as the "cure for foggy windows" is to drill a hole in one of the panes and install a one way valve. You lose any insulating quality, but I suppose if addresses the looks.

David Larsen
09-29-2011, 6:42 PM
I am not aware of a fix other than replacing the glass. Many times glass suppliers make glass for many different companies. The quality part usually comes with the manufacturing process of the window jamb itself because there isn't a lot of differences in the glass itself.