PDA

View Full Version : What Model Plane is This? Where can I find parts?

Matthew Curtis
09-28-2011, 7:33 PM
I got this plane over the weekend and was hoping to get it functional again. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what model it is and where I can find parts for it? The first pic says it is made in USA with a "U" in a circle above it. Thanks for the help

Dave Cav
09-28-2011, 11:02 PM
You'll probably have better luck over in the Neander forum. I don't know much about planes other than Stanleys, but this looks like a mid grade plane at best, based on the shape of the tote and the pressed steel depth adjuster knob and lever. It looks like the frog might be pressed steel as well (I can't tell for sure in the picture), which would put it even lower down the food chain. Any pictures of the blade or lever cap you can show us?

John Coloccia
09-29-2011, 7:12 AM
I've never seen anything like that. The adjustment knob is very strange. If I'm going to be honest, the whole thing looks rather cheaply made and I really doubt it's worth fixing up. That's just my opinion but I wouldn't put another dime into it.

Lee Schierer
09-29-2011, 8:22 AM
I gave one that looks just like it to my son in law.

Charles Bjorgen
09-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Your plane appears to be missing it's lever cap and cutter and the adjustment knob suggests it might be an off brand that might have been sold by hardware stores as a "handyman" type for occasional use. The missing parts probably will be hard to find unless you can find a twin to it. Instead, I'd suggest going to eBay or CraigsList to locate a Stanley or Millers Falls smooth plane or Jack plane. You should be able to find a complete plane for anywhere from $25 to $40. Rehabbing and restoring one of these planes can be very rewarding. I've done quite a few and the resulting fine shavings one gets can be worth the effort.

Then, of course, you'll be on your way to becoming a collector. Indeed, a slippery slope.

Brett Robson
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
I have an old Craftsman jack plane that looks just like that. I tried to use it as a regular bench plane some years back before I acquired some better planes. I never could get it to perform very well. In retrospect, I think the stamped frog was too flexible to work well when planing hardwoods.

Ultimately I ground the iron with a heavy radius and use it as a scrub. It works well enough in that capacity.