PDA

View Full Version : There Are Burls And Then There Are BURLS!!!

Dick Wilson
09-28-2011, 2:33 PM
I am pondering how to go about turning this on my Jet 1442:confused::confused::D:D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Mod_92VZA
This is not for the faint of heart......scares the heck out of me.

Robert McGowen
09-28-2011, 4:40 PM
Started dozing off around the 4 minute mark, as I can only look at a piece of wood for so long, but it really is a large piece of wood!

Scott Hackler
09-28-2011, 4:49 PM
I'm kinda in Robert's camp. I would loose interest in turning this (at 150rpm) after a couple hours, let alone several days. I would sure like to have had that chunk of burl though!

Jack Mincey
09-28-2011, 5:06 PM
Sure is a pretty chunk of wood. I could have made a bunch of nice bowls from that and not even risked my life in the process. The speed and size of the burl looks like it could have gone real real real bad for the turner if something went wrong!!!!
Jack

Wally Dickerman
09-28-2011, 5:09 PM
Boy, talk about getting beat up by a chunk of wood!! Seems to me that he could have removed a lot of surplus wood by trimming it with a chain saw. The VB-36 lathe seemed to have no problem handling 600 lb. of wood hanging off the spindle with no other support.

I've turned 100 lb burls but nothing to compare with that one. Those days are long gone however.

Dick Wilson
09-28-2011, 6:44 PM
Sure is a pretty chunk of wood. I could have made a bunch of nice bowls from that and not even risked my life in the process. The speed and size of the burl looks like it could have gone real real real bad for the turner if something went wrong!!!!
Jack

Me thinks a face shield is probably worthless on this turning

John Toigo
09-28-2011, 9:07 PM
I'd get bored also but I bet that was a lucrative project even if he had a week of turning & sanding in it. I just acquired this lathe:

I've restored it to this point so far:

and I can't wait to get to some large turnings. You can see a large turning on my infinite lathe in the background of the 2nd pic.

curtis rosche
09-28-2011, 9:10 PM
john, i want that lathe. thats a oliver isnt it? i forget the model number

David E Keller
09-28-2011, 9:21 PM
Seems like a waste of a giant chunk of maple burl!

John Toigo
09-28-2011, 9:35 PM
Close Curtis - It's a J Fay & Egan #82 from around 1910. Turning capacity according to the catalog is 85". It's not for sale but you're close, You can come visit it.

curtis rosche
09-28-2011, 9:42 PM
i still want it
you come visit me, and ill give you a peice of burl to make a 2.5ft plate out of to turn on it

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2011, 9:46 PM
The project was interesting but the lathe was impressive! Didn't even hiccup when spinning that mass of wood!

Baxter Smith
09-28-2011, 9:59 PM
Have to agree with Steve. Whatever that burl became wasn't nearly as impressive as watching that lathe spin it.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Wow that is crazy. I was impressed the lathe didn't even miss a beat.

Steve Vaughan
09-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Yup, that was crazy watching that lathe handle it, and him turn it. But I agree, from that piece he picked up as the example of what he was making, I just can understand why he didn't turn that piece around and do a little coring on it!:eek::D:D Why, he'd have gotten at least one other bowl out of it!:p

Reed Gray
09-29-2011, 1:09 AM
I think I would have spent a lot more time with an electric chain saw before putting the turning tools to it. Saw in one book a Brit who used a chainsaw with plunge cuts to remove a huge core from one big bowl blank. I just could not do that without taking at least one core.

robo hippy

Rick Markham
10-01-2011, 4:52 AM
I watched both videos there is a part II. He did try coring it, what a lot of work. I just want to see what it looked like installed, and what it sounds like. Very strange, but cool none the less. +1 on an impressive show by the lathe. The second video is a little more interesting, never seen someone sit on their banjo to hollow the inside.