PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Jamieson deep boning rig

Ben Richardson
09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
A couple of friends and I have constructed a Jamieson style boning rig. The only problem I have is attaching the shaft that holds the Lazar pointer to the mast. The mast is 3/4 tube and the shaft is a 3/4 square. I tried to make a wooden one like the AAW mag article a couple years ago but it didn't work very well. Does any one have any good ideas??

Tim Rinehart
09-28-2011, 2:45 PM
Hey Ben, not sure why the wooden union is giving you problem. Maybe a pic of your parts and what you tried doing.
I have a homemade version also, but I use a solid steel bar that joins my boring bar to my anti-rotation bar. From middle of this block of steel, I have a hole drilled to accept the laser rig.
If you are using hard maple or other stable/tough wood, you should be able to use some winged screws to secure the wood block to your boring bar or anti-rotation bar, even epoxy it for permanence. Then coming out of that block to support your laser parts shouldn't present too many problems.

Again, perhaps a pic or two would help.

Bill Walsh
09-28-2011, 2:47 PM
If you have a vertical tube attached to the main boring bar you could weld a flat plate (10ga) to the tube. Take another flat plate and drill and tap the lower plate that is welded to the vertical tube. The 3/4" square will be sandwiched between the two plates and is easily adjusted. This is the way my Oneway laser system came through back a few years ago. Use socket head cap screws so that you can use an allen wrench.

Dick Wilson
09-28-2011, 3:22 PM
Ben, Do not use round tube or bar for the lazer attachment. I did and roached my first hollow form by going through wall. I must have bumped the lazer and it moved:mad:. I redid the assembly using square tubing. Not a problem since:D

Bill Walsh
09-28-2011, 6:04 PM
Ben, Here are some photos of a half Oneway and half homemade Jamison setup. Hope it helps..