PDA

View Full Version : Another Newb Question--Tool Handles

Noah Barfield
09-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

Could someone please tell me how to mount a drill bit in a turning tool handle? I want to make a depth drill for making bowls. I currently have a store bought handle (not yet drilled) and a long 3/8" drill bit.

Thanks!

Noah

Prashun Patel
09-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Drill a hole in yr handle the diameter of the drill shank. Epoxy it in.

Scott Hackler
09-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Noah,

The problem with drilling a pre-turned handle will be the accuracy of the hole (being parallel with the handle). The best method would involve clamping the butt end in a chuck and after lining the tool end up with a live center and making sure the handle it running as true as possible, drill the hole with a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock. Its a pain, but doable. After you finally get the hole (2 inch deep) I would set it in place with epoxy.

Noah Barfield
09-28-2011, 1:18 PM
Thank you for the suggestions! I have a couple of related questions: 1) should the drill bit fit loosely into the 2" hole or should it be a friction fit? If the latter, how do I get the bit in there without damaging the bottom of the handle or the bit?
2) I don't have a set of chuck jaws that could grip the handle. Would clamping it in a bench vise (first making sure that it's plumb) and drilling by hand (I have access to a hand drill with a level bubble on it) work?

Noah

Scott Hackler
09-28-2011, 1:29 PM
Noah, If you can clamp the handle in a vise and make sure its 100% plumb on both sides you can drill this by hand if the drill has the level bubble. That will likely work just fine for you. If the drill bit fits very tightly, I would just drive it in with a mallet and a waste block on top of the drill bit. If its loose, I would epoxy it in.

Mike Peace
09-28-2011, 3:14 PM
I found a 3/8" bit a bit aggressive for me to hold on to without losing control. I found a 1/4" much more to my liking. YMMV.

Ken Whitney
09-29-2011, 6:06 AM
I mounted a keyless drill chuck in a wooden handle to allow the use and replacement of different-sized drill bits.

The chuck is a well-made metal chuck from a dead, flea market Milwaukee drill. The handle is fairly thick to more closely match the base of the chuck, but the extra diameter also provides a good grip for drilling.

The chuck is epoxied into the handle.

Noah Barfield
09-29-2011, 11:50 AM
I mounted a keyless drill chuck in a wooden handle to allow the use and replacement of different-sized drill bits.

The chuck is a well-made metal chuck from a dead, flea market Milwaukee drill. The handle is fairly thick to more closely match the base of the chuck, but the extra diameter also provides a good grip for drilling.

The chuck is epoxied into the handle.

That is so cool! I need to get my hands on a dead drill ASAP!

Steve Kubien
09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Another take on this. Drill the hole in the handle keeping as straight as you can, but knowing it won't be dead straight. Remember, it is the drill bit doing the drilling, not the handle. The handle could be at virtually any angle and the bit will find its happy place. Now, this is not how I would drill pens or pepper mills, but for bowls or hollow forms, I'm not sure that it really matters.

Just my opinion.

Greg Just
09-29-2011, 1:36 PM
Ken:

thanks for the tip on the dead drill. Bet you can find one pretty cheap at a garage sale.

Michael Mills
09-29-2011, 6:14 PM
1 (or 2) + on mounting a drill chuck. I have one with a 1/4" chuck and one with a 1/2" chuck. Thanks to the guys up in the metalworking forum I also found out how to mount square stock.:D:D

But a tip... if the shaft is tight, measure down to the bottom of the hole and drill a very small hole from the side for a "weep hole".
It allows air or epoxy to escape so you won't break the wood. I've think I know someone who has done that in the past :(.

Ken Whitney
09-29-2011, 8:41 PM
I wish I could take all the credit, but the dead drill idea is not original with me. I saw it somewhere a couple of years ago, but I can't remember where:confused: