PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Pulley Help....

Greg Johnson
02-26-2005, 12:33 PM
I am in the process of upgrading my shop. I just purchased a Griz 1023SL and Griz DC. I just finished cleaning, replacing blades and adding DC to my 1946 Delta Milwaukee 6" Jointer. I am now going through my 25 year old Jet drill press. Something has come loose in the pulley tensioner and I need to remove the main pulley to get to it. At the risk of showing my ignorance to the world:o , or at least this portion of the web, I need some help in how to remove this pulley. There is a round nut with notches that appears to be holding the pulley down. (Picture Attached) I am sure there is a spanner wrench made to remove this nut, but I have no idea what that tool would be called or how to remove this pulley. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Greg....don't know what they are called...... but I have bought sockets that fit nuts like that. One of my many past vehicles used nuts like that on the front wheel bearings. I can't remember what they are called or where I got the socket...probably a automotive parts place. Good luck with your project!

lou sansone
02-26-2005, 12:54 PM
They do make a special tool for that nut, but in the past I have been able to coax them off with a drift and a light hammer tapped just right. The idea is not to bugger it up too badly.

Jerry Clark
02-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Greg, I believe that the nut is a locking nut-- I would use a blunt chisel or soft rod give it a quick tap --- Then there may be another similar nut under the locking nut. There may be a special socket to fit, but may be difficult to find the correct size. After the nuts are removed, the pulley can be removed. Good luck!

Randy Meijer
02-26-2005, 5:32 PM
I can't remember what the tool is called, either. Not something you use every day of the week.

If the hammer and punch thing doesn't work for you, you could always make your own tool. I've done it and it is fairly simple to do. All you need is a hacksaw, a file or bench grinder and a piece of scrap steel......I used a piece of rail from a retired bed frame. I think you can figure out the details.

P.S. You could also use a Dremel tool with those little cut-off abrasive wheels. You have to use a light touch as those little blades are somewhat fragile; but it can be done!!!

Russ Massery
02-26-2005, 5:41 PM
It's a lock nut the wrench your looking for is called a spanner wrench. When we don't have a wrench handy we use a brass dirft and a hammer.

Brian Hale
02-26-2005, 6:20 PM
I agree, a small drift or chisel and a hammer. Heat it up a bit with a propane torch before you start to make it eaiser to break loose.

Steve Clardy
02-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Beware. There should be a washer under that nut that has a TAB on it. The TAB bends up, into one of the slots on the nut, keeping it from loosening up. Take a small punch and hammer, bending it down, then lightly using a punch and hammer to loosen the nut.
I have several of these sockets for those nuts. Different sizes. The older 4-wheel drives use this type of nut, though a lot larger. I have one socket that fits a fan hub nut on a truck engine that is about the same size as your nut.
If you can't loosen the nut, try going to a large truck repair shop to see if you can borrow a socket.

Heres a pic of SPANNER wrenches, which won't work, and a Socket for the nut you have.:)

Greg Johnson
02-27-2005, 4:43 PM
Steve, and others, thank you for your responses. I definitely wouldn't have thought of locking tabs. Thanks for that. I hope to get back out to the shop later this week and give it a shot. My to do list has been huge this weekend, so I won't have any shop time. I've been setting up my daughters Apple laptop (for school) to function on our existing Windows network, plus adding a wireless router. Just plug it in and it works... Right?....^%$*(%*(()):mad:

Thanks again,
Greg

Brian Hale
02-27-2005, 5:01 PM
Ahh Yes, Plug and Play........ Plug it in and Play with it till it works half as good as promised. Then be happy.

Brian :-)