PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

Thomas Hotchkin
09-28-2011, 1:43 AM
There is a Powermatic Lathe for sale that seller says has (shipping damage need new inverter) does anyone know how much a inverter go for, on the newer Powermatic's Thanks. Tom

Bernie May
09-28-2011, 6:39 AM
I bought one for my 3520B a few months ago for a little under $500. Turned out I didn't need it after I had replace the old VFD (inverter). Somehow the cord that came with the lathe had induction issues and just needed to be replaced with a bigger cord. i ordered it over the phone so I do not have the needed info. I called techinical help at Jet/Powermatic and the tech got the correct one ordered for me.
-bernie

Dennis Ford
09-28-2011, 6:44 AM
I have no idea how much Powermatic would sell one for but you could easily get an inverter that would work for $250 or so. Note that an inverter from Powermatic would likely come programmed (plug and play). If you just buy an inverter (there are several manufactors), it will have to be set up with information from the lathe motor; this is not a really difficult job but can be intimidating the first time.

Greg Ketell
09-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Is it just me or would others think this might be some sort of scam?? Powermatic would happily send out a new inverter for a lathe that was damaged in shipping.

Just be cautious of the "too good to be true" syndrome.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with Greg. If it was damaged in shipping most lathe companies would gladly replace it. I would definitely ask more questions. Like how old is it? If it is new then I think Powermatic would have sent a new one. If it is older I would be a little leary.

Tim Rinehart
09-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Gotta agree with others on cautions for what's not working. If just the inverter, about $500 from PM, and about the same amount if a motor issue that requires replacement. (I checked prices online from PM)

Thomas Hotchkin
09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. I was able to talk with the seller this morning he bought the Lathe damaged in package deal with some other equipment about 4 years ago. He was going to repair it, but never got too it. And now wants to clean the shop up. I am calling Powermatic today with my shopping list. If I can a get a never used 4 year old Powermatic 3520A running for under 2k is that a fair price for this lathe? Thanks Tom

Scott Donley
09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Thomas, if that is the ad I saw yesterday, I would say if you can get the parts for 600 or less, it might be a deal. If it was closer I would have to take a look. Good luck