PDA

View Full Version : How to store logs before roughing?

Prashun Patel
09-27-2011, 9:33 PM
I have a few logs that have been halved and sealed with wax until I get time to rough turn them. I've got them in my basement. After about 2 weeks, I'm getting black spots on the end grain and on the bark side, there is some white fuzz. I assume this is the onset of spalt. Is that right?

Also, how do I arrest it? Is there some kind of mildewcide I can use? Bleach? The problem is it's got some nice color that I'm afraid of bleaching. Do I need more air circulation? I have the blanks just sitting on the floor with about 1" of space between them.

Marty Eargle
09-27-2011, 9:52 PM
I don't know of a way to stop spalting besides popping the wood in the freezer. But the fugus on the outside is mostly superficial and will turn away pretty easily.

Dan Hintz
09-28-2011, 6:41 AM
That's the onset of mold, but not necessarily spalt. If the logs are still very wet (and the white mold pretty much confirms that), you shouldn't stack them or leave them directly touching the floor. I had a large blank sitting on top of a box for a few weeks, and the mess undeneath when I finally removed it was interesting... the direct contact between the cardboard and blank was enough to stop air circulation and it got moldy.

If you plan on roughing them all out within the next couple of months, I wouldn't worry about it. If you plan on leaving it like that for the next year or more, I would find another storage method. Put some stickers under the logs so they're not in direct contact with the floor. Cover them with a tarp to cut down on direct air movement, but you still want that water to evaporate.

Prashun Patel
09-28-2011, 8:43 AM
Thanks for that. I'm using it as an excuse to rough turn them sooner rather than later...