PDA

View Full Version : Delmhorst Moisture meters?

John Miliunas
02-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Decided I need to pull the trigger on this one, especially seeing as to how we're coming into the seasonal changes. I hear that Delmhorst is a great company to deal with, though I'm a bit confused as to the models. Is the J-Lite, with the LED readouts, that much inferior to their top of the line J-2000? It appears that the middle and high-end units have some built-in temperature adjustment, but most of my lumber will be at pretty constant temps. I'm not really looking for something to take to lumber mills, but more so, to be sure what I'm getting ready to work with in the shop is stable. Any recomendations, thoughts or other things I should be looking at? Thanks!:) :cool:

nic obie
02-26-2005, 1:47 PM
Hi John,

I know nothing about Delmhorst moisture meters. In fact, the only moisture meter I've ever owned is a Lignomat Mini Ligno E. It seems to work fine and does everything I need.

I uses LEDs and has 2 scales; 6 to 20% and 22 to 32%. There are 8 LEDs each one does 2% (as in 6%, 8%, 10% etc.) In fact one can differentiate to 1% moisture by watching the meter trying to decide which adjacent LED to light. It comes with a case and a laminated conversion chart for different wood species.

I bought it from Amazon but can't remember what I paid for it. I do remember it was very reasonable compared to other meters.

BTW, I'm glad I bought it, It's saved me from making a couple expensive mistakes.

Richard Wolf
02-26-2005, 2:05 PM
I have a Delmhorst J-2000, and its works very well. Let me suggest that you get the remote probe with it. If you plan to check anything thicher than 3/4" you really need the longer pins to give youself an accurate reading.

Richard

Mark Singer
02-26-2005, 2:30 PM
I have this very expensive $67 meter from Lee Valley...all they are is ohm or resitance meters.... It rains so much here I am not sure I want to know:confused: http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/markmeasure/99n1501s1.jpg

lou sansone
02-26-2005, 6:21 PM
Hi John,

I know nothing about Delmhorst moisture meters. In fact, the only moisture meter I've ever owned is a Lignomat Mini Ligno E. It seems to work fine and does everything I need.

I uses LEDs and has 2 scales; 6 to 20% and 22 to 32%. There are 8 LEDs each one does 2% (as in 6%, 8%, 10% etc.) In fact one can differentiate to 1% moisture by watching the meter trying to decide which adjacent LED to light. It comes with a case and a laminated conversion chart for different wood species.

I bought it from Amazon but can't remember what I paid for it. I do remember it was very reasonable compared to other meters.

BTW, I'm glad I bought it, It's saved me from making a couple expensive mistakes.

I have the mini-lingo and also feel it works pretty good.

John Shuk
02-26-2005, 7:57 PM
I have this very expensive $67 meter from Lee Valley...all they are is ohm or resitance meters.... It rains so much here I am not sure I want to know:confused: http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/markmeasure/99n1501s1.jpg
I've thought about trying to build a meter from an OHMS meter I have. I guess I would have to calibrate it with a moisture meter to get an idea of what Ohms reading means it's dry to get started. is it different from wood to wood or is it pretty standard across the board? (no pun intended)