PDA

View Full Version : SteamPunk Number 2

James Combs
09-27-2011, 9:07 PM
Here is another watch parts pen or SteamPunk pen. The parts in this one are from a large old semi-crushed 1918 Rockford pocket watch. Like to have never got it apart.:o The porcelain face was all cracked and falling apart except for the second hand dial. I salvage it and as you can see it was way to big to put in the watch. Being porcelain there was no way to wrap it around the tub. I turned the barrel down until I started clipping the edges of the dial therefore there is some porcelain and copper backing exposed at the surface.:( This also made it extremely "plump" in the center. Oh well I will know better next time.

The pen is a Copper Sierra.

C&C appreciated.

David Reed
09-27-2011, 9:15 PM
This is a very interesting concept and very well done. What does that term, steampunk mean anyway? A little out of the loop I am.

James Combs
09-27-2011, 9:25 PM
This is a very interesting concept and very well done. What does that term, steampunk mean anyway? A little out of the loop I am.

David, it is normally associated with science fiction where world history took an alternate line around the mid 1800s. In this alternate "timeline" Steam power never went away, digital did not happen everything is analog or gear driven. In the case of the pen or in the art world it is associated with mechanical art. Go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk) and scroll down the page to "Art and Design".

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Cool looking pen James. Guess I could do one as I have several drawers full of watch parts.:D

Jim Burr
09-28-2011, 9:26 AM
These sure are tough JD! I just finished #2 and did the tube in Rustoleum Hammered Copper. It's my favorite one to date, not saying much since it's #2:rolleyes:
I like your use of part and the ay they are dispursed. You should be selling these for a a pretty penny! What paint are you using for the tubes?

James Combs
09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Cool looking pen James. Guess I could do one as I have several drawers full of watch parts.:D
Thanks Bernie - Hey if you if you got enough for more then one pen send them to me and I will do one for you for the rest of the parts.:D:rolleyes:

These sure are tough JD! I just finished #2 and did the tube in Rustoleum Hammered Copper. It's my favorite one to date, not saying much since it's #2:rolleyes:
I like your use of part and the ay they are dispursed. You should be selling these for a a pretty penny! What paint are you using for the tubes?
Thanks Jim, I am using some GP Rustoleum Gloss Black and letting it dry at least 24hrs before casting. Have had the PR melt incomplete cured same paint before.