PDA

View Full Version : 120 mm dust ports

Dave Novak
09-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm close to receiving delivery of a Euro combo machine that has 120 mm dust ports. Would you use 5" flex to connect to your dust collector or it's piping? Good source for quality 5" flex? What fitting would you use between the 120 mm (4.72") machine port and the flex hose?

Wes Grass
09-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Rumor has it 5" flex fits beautifully over the Felder quick couplers, if you slide it up over flange and onto the larger end.

I got some 4" from Oneida that is really nice. The Felder stuff is REALLY nice, and priced accordingly.

David Wong
09-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I use the Felder 120mm quick connect adapter and a 6 to 5 inch reducer (from Oneida), at the end of a 6" flex from Wynn Environmental. The 120mm adapter fits loosely in the 5" sheet metal port of the reducer. I put a band of closed surface foam tape (~3/16" thick) around the adapter so it fits snugly in the reducer port.

David Kumm
09-27-2011, 2:25 PM
Duct tape on the machine port and 5" hose. Pretty low tech but works. Dave

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2011, 2:38 PM
I used friction tape and 5 inch polyurethane hose for my Hammer machines.

You really want a very flexible, tough hose for a combination machine, so polyurethane is the route to go.................Rod.

David Hawxhurst
09-27-2011, 4:26 PM
guess i did it the hard way. made an mdf spacer to fit over the 120mm outlet and inside the 6" hose.

Jim Becker
09-27-2011, 9:57 PM
Yes, I use 5" flex and a Fernco rubber sewer adapter that slips right over the 120mm ports on my Minimax equipment. (I originally purchased metal reducers for this adaptation, but they were cumbersome....Sam Blasco clued me in on the rubber sewer adapters being a perfect fit)

David Kumm
09-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Jim, where do you buy those? Dave

Jamie Buxton
09-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I cut off the plastic metric ports, and bolted on inch-style ones. Ugly but effective.

Wes Grass
09-28-2011, 2:04 AM
"guess i did it the hard way."

*You* did it the hard way? Guess again.

Dave Novak
09-28-2011, 9:20 AM
Yes, I use 5" flex and a Fernco rubber sewer adapter that slips right over the 120mm ports on my Minimax equipment. (I originally purchased metal reducers for this adaptation, but they were cumbersome....Sam Blasco clued me in on the rubber sewer adapters being a perfect fit)

My Minimax salesman suggested the same thing, even sent a picture. However, when looking at Fernco's website I couldn't tell which one I needed from the 1000's that they sell. I'll look again in the "sewer" pipe section. If the fitting your talking about has a specific name, I'd appreciate the help.208669

Dave Novak
09-28-2011, 9:29 AM
I used friction tape and 5 inch polyurethane hose for my Hammer machines.

You really want a very flexible, tough hose for a combination machine, so polyurethane is the route to go.................Rod.

It's my plan to go overboard in terms of hose quality. I was considering these:

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
09-28-2011, 3:04 PM
My Minimax salesman suggested the same thing, even sent a picture. However, when looking at Fernco's website I couldn't tell which one I needed from the 1000's that they sell. I'll look again in the "sewer" pipe section. If the fitting your talking about has a specific name, I'd appreciate the help.208669Jim & Dave are exactly right. I believe the Fernco rubber sewer fitting size is 4" (not at home as I write this, so I can't check, sorry). You can get them at your local HD (at least that's where I did). The fitting fits inside the 5" flex hose and slips (tight) over your 120mm ports. I used a utility knife to cut a small chamfer on the inside edge which makes friction fitting it much easier. Also, I bought a 2" into 4" Fernco which I hook to my shaper hood and my shopvac for top pf the table shaper collection. The 5" hose hooks the bottom. Cheap and works!

James Curry
09-06-2020, 3:03 PM
Jim & Dave are exactly right. I believe the Fernco rubber sewer fitting size is 4" (not at home as I write this, so I can't check, sorry). You can get them at your local HD (at least that's where I did). The fitting fits inside the 5" flex hose and slips (tight) over your 120mm ports. I used a utility knife to cut a small chamfer on the inside edge which makes friction fitting it much easier. Also, I bought a 2" into 4" Fernco which I hook to my shaper hood and my shopvac for top pf the table shaper collection. The 5" hose hooks the bottom. Cheap and works!

So, I have a minimax FS41 Elite. I'm looking at the same issue of the fittings.
It has a port on each end, so I'll need two setups. The port on the right is attached to the bottom of the right bed, so it goes away when I change from jointer to planer. The left port swivels up and over to the right.

When in jointer mode, I'll need a hose on both, but in planer mode, I'll only need the one.

I understands the Fernco rubber sewer connector is the best option, but will it stand up to the machine's conversion? Do I need some quick connect for these ports?

Sorry for the simple question, but I just got the machine this week, and am only now considering it's connection to my 6" DC main.

Rod Sheridan
09-06-2020, 7:05 PM
I use 5” polyurethane hose with the Felder right angle quick connector, the poly hose is as flexible as an extension cord.....Rod

Alan Lightstone
09-08-2020, 10:06 AM
Used duct tape on all of mine, plus 6" - 5" reducers, which fit loosely and I've had to fill with masking tape. Not optimal, have to look into the Fernco solution.

Bob Hinden
09-08-2020, 1:46 PM
I used MagPorts with 5” Flexible PVC Rubber Coupling that I adapted to fit on my Hammer A3-41's 120mm fitting. I wrote a review of the MagPorts here that describes what I did in more detail:

https://www.lumberjocks.com/reviews/12018

Continues to work well.

Mark Kanof
09-08-2020, 2:54 PM
I recently ordered a couple of these for my Mini Max jointer/planer combo. The schedule 40 end fits nicely over the 120mm dust ports and then obviously the 4" flex end fits 4" flex well.

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-schedule-40-pvc-to-4-adapter-for-hose

Erich Elfeldt
09-09-2020, 12:45 AM
Another vote for the Rockler adapter. I have them on my Minimax FS30.