PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Here is a simple maple bowl I finished turning. I had roughed it in December 2010. It measures 8" X 3". This is finished with the new woodturners finish I got in from Woodcraft. I put all but the last coat on it on the lathe. The coats were put on very light with a old T-shirt except the first coat which I put on fairly heavy to let it soak in then wiped off the excess. After drying for 10 minutes sanded it with 600 grit since this finish does raise the grain. I applied the second coat and sanded with 600 grit. Much easier to sand on the lathe with my old hands than trying to hand sand. After that I used 0000 steel wool between coats 3, 4, and 5. The last coat I did off the lathe and did not steel wool. It has dried overnight. It took me a total of 48 minutes from the first to last coat. I will wait 72 hrs as they said and then buff to see how it looks. This bowl will be a experiment and will be used everyday if possible to see how this finish will hold up being used in the kitchen. So far I do like this finish and if it holds up in the kitchen will be a good finish. I did try this finish on a pen and bottle stopper. I like how they turned out. So will continue to play with it and see how it goes.

Tony De Masi
09-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Very nice work Bernie. You mentioned the "finish" several times but you never gave it a name. Care to share?

Richard Jones
09-27-2011, 2:05 PM
Great bowl, Bernie. I am really partial to utilitarian pieces.

Rich

charlie knighton
09-27-2011, 2:32 PM
nice bowl, that's a good size, thanks for sharing

Jon Prouty
09-27-2011, 3:21 PM
Hi Bernie,

I have a can of the WTF as well and look forward to trying it. When you applied it on the lathe, how did you finish the bottom? This is the part that always has me stumped and once I see how it is done I am sure the lightbulb will click and I will feel really dumb. Are you turning the tennon off after finishing the inside and outside of the bowl? Then there is no finish on the bottom and this can be done off the lathe? Thanks...

Jon

Pete Jordan
09-27-2011, 4:11 PM
Another nice one Bernie!

That finish is working great!

David Reed
09-27-2011, 4:42 PM
Bernie, very nice piece which is actually useful.
What is the 'mystery' finish applied? 48 minutes start to finish? My kind of product.

Tom Sherman
09-27-2011, 6:18 PM
Very nice piece Bernie, love the look and the finish.

Greg Just
09-27-2011, 7:48 PM
Nice looking bowl Bernie. I'll be interested in your test of the finish as I would like to use it on peppermills.

Bernie used General Finishes new wipe on finish made for woodturners. We have exchanged a few PM's, that's how I know. I call my local Rockler and they don't have it in the stores yet and it is on back order on line. I'm hoping that Woodcraft has it when I go there next week..

Reid Strand
09-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Woodcraft has it on sale in this months flyer. At $9.99 for 8 oz., its not cheap, but I'd like to give it a try. How much of the finish did you go through on the bowl?

Plus, I gotta say I love the acronym!

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks everyone.

Tony D. it is General Finishes Woodturners Finish and Woodcraft has it in stock. It is a water/oil urethane hybrid for use on wood turnings. It dries rather quickly like in 10 minutes per coat depending on how heavy you put it on. I wipe it on with a piece of old T-shirt so the coats are rather light but did build about 6 coats to get the shine I wanted. They told me the finish after cured 72 hrs would work on floors. So should be tough. I will find out.

Reid I am not sure but used less than a half oz I would guess. Like I said I put light coats on which lets it dry pretty fast. I brushed some on a birdhouse today which was a heavier coat and it took about 20 minutes to dry but did turn, sand and finish 2 mini birdhouses in 2 1/2 hrs. I will post tomorrow as they are for a mother who wanted two for her children. One green and one red.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Good looking bowl Bernie! I like he rounded rim on this one! I will be interested in how well the finish holds up on things used everyday! Be sure to get back to us with that please!

John Keeton
09-28-2011, 5:56 AM
I missed this one! Nice work, Bernie, and a good test for the new finish. I guess I am going to have to try this stuff - looks like it builds a very nice gloss.

Jim Burr
09-28-2011, 9:28 AM
You sure do nice bowls Bernie and they are not as easy as they look!!

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks again. Steve I surely will post about how it holds up. So far I like it a lot.

Tim Rinehart
09-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Very nice bowl Bernie, great looking finish especially. Go figure, I just ordered some Antique Oil to try Keith Burns' 10 minute finish...and now I hear about this!!! I have 2 hairs left...I'm gonna pull em!
Keep us posted on how this product holds up. Sounds excellent from what you've said.

Scott Hackler
09-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice Bernie. I will look at ordering some of that finish and giving it a try. I am super impatient and thats why I started spraying lacquer (for multiple coats). This might be a good alternative for my style.

Primvs Aebvtivs
09-28-2011, 3:42 PM
VERY nice! Can you name the wood finish you got? Not sure if it'll be the same in the U.K., but I can only hope! Trying to make a goblet for my step-son, but worried about what to seal it with - if you're using something on a bowl that may do the trick (although I am aware that some sealants are attacked by alcohol...)

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2011, 6:56 PM
Thanks again. Scott I do like the finish. I think I figured out the key is light coats and applied with a piece of old t-shirt. It sure goes on nicely and dries quickly. Using this method I was putting it on about every 15 to 20 minutes.

Primvs the finish is made by General Finishes. You can google it and look for Woodturners Finish. Woodcraft is carrying it now.

David E Keller
09-28-2011, 9:31 PM
Looks good, Bernie! I'm pretty impatient when it comes to finishing, so this stuff has really got me interested... Please keep us posted on the durability as well. Thanks for sharing!

Baxter Smith
09-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Nice bowl Bernie. How did the yellowing of the maple compare with something like Poly or AO?

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2011, 7:13 AM
Thanks Baxter. The color did not change hardly at all. There is a very slight ambering but very little compared to AO, BLO or Poly. It is almost like putting on lacquer.

Cathy Schaewe
09-29-2011, 9:10 PM
Aw, just what I needed to hear - something else I just HAVE to have! Sounds very promising. And the bowl looks great! I"m always interested in something that doesn't yellow -