PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning DVDs

Thom Sturgill
09-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Our club librarian asked me to provide a list of the DVDs that I would recommend that the club purchase (I am known to have a fair library) and I thought I would try a little 'crowdsourcing' (and this is a great crowd).

Below is my list and I would like more suggestions (I'm sure i missed some good ones) and comments (maybe better picks, substitutions)

Must Haves

Jimmy Clewes 'Back to Basics'
Bowl Basics: A Workshop with Mike Mahoney
Turned Bowls Made Easy - Bill Grumbine
The Skew Chisel with Alan Lacer - The Dark Side -The Sweet Side
Turning Wood with Richard Raffan
Cindy Drozda's Fabulous Finial Box
Malcolm Tibbetts - Getting Started
Malcolm Tibbetts - Tips, Tricks and Feature Rings

also (Second rank)?

Jimmy Clewes - Turning the World
Jimmy Clewes - Turnaround
Beyond the Basic Bowl -Advanced Bowl Techniques - Bill Grumbine covers Winged, Natural Edge, Square bowls, and coring
Brian McEvoy's Secrets to Creating Two Piece Hollow Forms - OK but no great secret
The Son of Skew with Alan Lacer - skew based projects
Introduction to Segmented Turning with Curt Theobald - poor sound quality but good if interested in segmenting
Segmented Patterns with Curt Theobald - see above - limited to a couple of designs

my want list

The rest of Malcolm Tibbett's DVDs

Cindy Drozda: Left Brain/Right Brain - Developing Signature Artwork - with David Nittman, covers designing a signature
Cindy Drozda: Elegant Finials
Cindy Drozda - Finial Star - Not sure if we need to get all of hers - how much duplication?

Richard Raffan: Turning Boxes
Richard Raffan - The Art of Turned Bowls

Mike Mahoney: Hollow forms and Urns - A Workshop

Ellsworth on Woodturning: How a Master Creates Bowls, Pots, and Vessels
Scrapers DVD with David J. Marks
Pen Turning with Barry Gross A Visual Guide To Pen Making

Reed Gray
09-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Try Mike's newer bowl video, Heirlooms, or some thing like that. Better than his older ones.

robo hippy

Richard Jones
09-27-2011, 2:02 PM
Don't forget Reed's DVD, Bowl Coring with the McNaughton.

And I agree with Reed about Mr. Mahoney's Heirlooms, Making Things That Last.

Both are great additions to any library.

Rich

Paul Heely
09-27-2011, 2:10 PM
John Jordan's Aesthetics and Properties of Wood is worth adding, in my opinion. His hollow form video is also pretty good, though it is funny seeing him in his younger days with a big bushy mustache.