PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Tearout Issue

Andrew Kertesz
09-27-2011, 6:55 AM
I am trying to turn a piece of what i believe is birch which after sitting for a couple of years is spalted and soft. My tools are sharp and if I took any lighter cut I wouldn't be removing any wood. I am getting extreme tearout regardless of what I try, 3 different bowl gouges, skew used as a scraper, gouges also used to take a shearing cut. Nothing seems to help. How does everybody deal with tearout like this?

Charles Bjorgen
09-27-2011, 7:04 AM
You might try applying sanding sealer to stiffen the fibers and then do those light, finishing cuts you describe.

John Keeton
09-27-2011, 7:46 AM
Wally Dickerman, I believe, is the origin of this idea - take cheap white craft glue, dilute it 1:1 with water, and soak the rough turned piece in it for a day or two. Remove and give it a couple days to dry. That should provide a good turning surface to finish out the piece.

Russell Eaton
09-27-2011, 7:48 AM
Andrew some people use thin CA glue to stiffen the fibers. Just make darn sure it is dry before you turn the lathe on, otherwise it looks like spider webs flying off the wood. DON'T ask how I know... LOL

William Bachtel
09-27-2011, 8:16 AM
What speed are you turning at? Make sure you are chucked up securely and try a little more speed, 800, if its a big piece watch you speed, these spalted projects can fly apart on ya. Safely First. As always these guys here have given good advice.

Paul Heely
09-27-2011, 8:34 AM
I was just working on some spalted maple last night that did not want to cooperate either. I used a combination of a thin mix of shellac and a small 3/8 bowl gouge with a tradition grind. That's my go to combination for wood that wants to tear out.

Fred Belknap
09-27-2011, 8:58 AM
What John Keaton said .
I did the soak in water and glue and it ended up nice. I had to wait a couple weeks for it to get good and dry. It was a hollow form and sold very quickly.

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2011, 9:47 AM
Andrew - there is such a thing as the wood being to-far gone to turn without using a glue treatment or a diluted epoxy cocktail. When that happens to me.... I go find another piece of wood to turn. Your piece of wood may be different and it is up to you to decide if it is worth your time.

Wally Dickerman
09-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I like the saying...Life is too short to turn crappy wood. Unless it's a special piece of wood, toss it.

The water-glue treatment may work after it's rough turned. I've saved some exceptional looking wood that way. Be aware that you'll be soaking it in water and it will warp as it dries.

Be sure that you're cutting WITH the grain with a sharp tool. Can make a huge difference. Against the grain will pull out unsupported fibers on that soft wood.

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I agree with Wally and Steve. Unless it is special I would move on. I used to think I had to turn every piece of wood that came into the shop. I finally realized it wasn't worth the effort on some pieces. If the wood happens to be special I will either soak it with epoxy mixed with Denatured Alcohol to the consistancey of milk. I paint it on and let it soak in then let it dry for 24 hrs. I also use the water/white glue mixture but very seldom use either one anymore. To much good wood to mess with one piece of bad.

Reed Gray
09-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Forget any type of scraping cut. They pull the fibers, and they rip before they cut. The higher the shear angle, the cleaner the cut. I really like Doug Thompson's fluteless gouge for this. Standard bowl gouges rolled on their sides (on the inside of the bowl, roll to 3 o'clock) give a higher shear angle. Dropping the handle gives a higher shear angle. These cuts are easier on the outside of the bowl than on the inside. Getting the fibers wet helps some times as well. You can use a spritzer type bottle, get it wet, let sit for a minute or so, then take very light cuts to turn away the wet wood. The other methods may work as well.

robo hippy

Edward Bartimmo
09-27-2011, 3:18 PM
Question on Soaking in Diluted Glue Mixture

With regards to soaking in diluted glue mixture... What is the effect of the glue treatment on the ultimate finish of the workpiece? Does the glue interfer with the woods ability to absorb a finish that has any oil in it?

Thanks

Wally Dickerman
09-27-2011, 3:47 PM
Question on Soaking in Diluted Glue Mixture

Thanks..............

Yes it does affect the finish but not much. I think that it doesn't have as much gloss. I usually start the finish with a coat or 2 of Lacquer, then apply an oil finish.

One plus when using the glue soak is that small cracks often just disappear. The wood swells and of course you're soaking it in a weakened glue mix.

I should mention that I haven't had 100% success with the glue. If the wood is exceptional it's sometimes worth a try.