PDA

View Full Version : Where to in Arkansas?

Tom Winship
09-26-2011, 8:21 PM
For all you travelers, my wife and I are considering a four or five day trip into the Ozarks from Texas.
Any of you have a bucket list for the area?
Any good places to get turning wood?

Abi Parris
09-28-2011, 6:46 PM
Trips to AR are usually of the backpacking variety, so as far as populated places go, I am not the best resource. However, Eureka Springs is interesting - a fair bit of local craft/art type people. Seem to recall Doug Stowe (who has written a book on box making) is based there.

If you are able to time it right, the fall foliage is quite good. Arkansas.com has foliage "forecast" and for a fairly scenic, decent stretch of road hit up Google with Talimena Scenic Drive for further details.

Larry Frank
09-28-2011, 8:13 PM
Hot Springs has a couple of good barbecue places. Also, there is some good crystal hunting to do in the Hot Springs area. I have found some really nice quartz crystals.

Derek Gilmer
09-28-2011, 10:30 PM
The Clinton museum and USS razorback (retired submarine) are in Little Rock. Both are pretty neat places. Mamoth springs on the AR/MO border are pretty. Lots of good camping, fishing and floating. The Little Red river just north of Little Rock is great. I've spent many a saturday morning wading there limiting on trout.

Neal Clayton
09-29-2011, 10:09 AM
if you go through little rock, yeah, sunset premium hardwoods.

nice guy that owns the place, and he keeps turning blanks from lots of higher end woods in stock.

Tom Winship
09-30-2011, 8:35 AM
Thanks all. This helps a bunch.